Poll; Wait for SA GI Champion or Get a Rock Island Now?

This is a discussion on Poll; Wait for SA GI Champion or Get a Rock Island Now? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, here it is. I have "ONE" last gun on my "for life" list. This is it. A 1911 in .45 ACP. To keep this ...

View Poll Results: Which way would you go on this?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait for the Springield GI Champion no matter how long it takes!

32 48.48%
  • Get the Rock Island MS now because it's so similar to the GI and would be suitble for your purpose.

34 51.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll; Wait for SA GI Champion or Get a Rock Island Now?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Okay, here it is. I have "ONE" last gun on my "for life" list. This is it. A 1911 in .45 ACP. To keep this short I won't go into why I picked the one I did but I chose to make it a Springfield Armory GI Champion. That's their popular G.I. Model (not the milspec) with the 4" barrel. It's comes in two versions, a light weight 30 oz version which I don't want and a 37 oz all steel model which I do want.

Here's the problem. You can't find one anywhere on the planet SA runs them in limited batches and it doesn't look like they've run one in a long time and it doesn't appear they're going to run any real soon. The full size 5" version is available, but not their 4" "Champion" size.

So I can wait another year or more, or I can buy a Rock Island Mid Size which is their equivilent of the same gun. Now a Rock Island Armory gun isn't a Springfield but this will be a home defense, winter carry, woods type gun. I live the park finish, GI trigger, etc. With either gun I will eventully add an extended tactical thumb safety and I already have a set of thin cocobola grips, Wilson magazines, and a good OWB holster.

So, I'm toying with the idea of just getting the RI now versus the SA GI when? At the end of the day they should both be suitable for my use and once I change the grips and add a few parts, they're both almost idential in looks except the Rock has a lowered and flared ejection port.

So what would you do and why?

Thanks
    Gideon

I own both and I like both. But if you want my opinion? a true 1911 is 5" anything else is a change to the design.

I understand your point but I love the dimensions of the Champion, or "Commander" sized gun. I had a full size Milspec years ago and most recently a Golt New Agent 1911. But for me I believe the Commander is the optimized size. Still have the reliability. The full size grip is more comfortable. If grip size is an issue for concealed carry then I drop down to my 9's or .38's. The one less inch of barrel does make a difference for me when I carry the gun. And I like how it looks. It just seems more balanced. And to top it off, I have an oustanding OWB holster for a commander sized 1911
    Gideon

I've got a solution! Buy the Rock Island now, and buy the SA when it comes out. Then after fully testing them and making up your mind which one you like the best, you can send the other one to me!

Dave M.

I think the RI is a good gun, but I say wait for the Springfield since it's on your list. If you can stand to wait for one, then why not wait?

Dave's suggestion is pretty good too. If you get the RI now, you can sell it to help pay for the Springfield when you finally find one (or keep them both!). I have only seen the mil-spec one.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

New Guns in Stock

Bada Bing! I've dealt with Luke before and he's a great guy.

Considering the significance of the list I'd say wait for the Springfield. There's no point in settling on something that's a forever gun, you'll just regret it and end up buying it later anyways.

I will say that just because you've decided to go the 1911 route it doesn't excuse the fact you're picking a micro variant...you'd better have, or are planning on getting a full size 1911 for your forever list. The smaller barrel variants can be nice, but they just aren't the same as the battle tested, combat proven design of the originals.

DarthPete found ya one right now,ya gotta be careful what ya ask for around here
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Okay, here it is. I have "ONE" last gun on my "for life" list. This is it. A 1911 in .45 ACP. To keep this short I won't go into why I picked the one I did but I chose to make it a Springfield Armory GI Champion. .....So what would you do and why?
    Thanks Gideon
    I would buy A gun now - but sell/trade for the GI Champ
    ASAP.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    DarthPete found ya one right now,ya gotta be careful what ya ask for around here
    There you go... I'd go with the SA, I likes 'em. For the record, a Commander isn't a Micro and has had a great track record since it was put into "service" decades ago.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I've already written about the one DarthPete found although on the guys web site it appears to be the Light Weight version which means an aluminum alloy frame. But I wrote him and will call the guy in the morning.

If he has it, the dilemna will be if I should lower my choice from the all steel version to this one!

On SA's site, it shows the regular GI champion weighing 37oz and the lightweigh version weighing 30 oz. Do you guys think this makes a big difference? Especially an alloy frame versus an all steel frame?

Thanks
    Gideon

I know people worry about the alloy frames, the only difference for me is balance
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Do you like the balance better with alloy or all steel?

Can you checker an alloy frame like you can a steel one? Just curious in case I ever wanted to get the front strap checkered!

Gideon

The alloy frames are fine. Some say they have a life of 10,000 rounds, some say 30,000 who really knows. Bottom line is that if you shoot that much you'll wear a steal one out too.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I had a SA GI Champion LW. Sold it to buy a Colt Combat Commander. Wish I had the SA back. The weight does make a difference if you carry for more than an hour or two. If/when you have a problem, Springfield has the BEST customer service of anyone.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links