Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226 - Page 2

Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226

This is a discussion on Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; throughout millitary the trials back in the '80s, the beretta beat out everything including sigs ,when the pentagon replaced the 1911. I think you would ...

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sig Sauer P226

57 80.28%
  • Beretta 92A1

14 19.72%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226

VIP Member
    throughout millitary the trials back in the '80s, the beretta beat out everything including sigs ,when the pentagon replaced the 1911.
    I think you would do well with either one.
    Sig is definitely more popular, and pricier overall
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    throughout millitary the trials back in the '80s, the beretta beat out everything including sigs ,when the pentagon replaced the 1911.
    I think you would do well with either one.
    Sig is definitely more popular, and pricier overall
    Price was the determining factor above all. Both completed the trials, but Beretta offered a better price if memory serves.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    You Glock fans have everything else, can't you at least let me keep my dignity?
    Leroy Jethro Gibbs (NCIS) carries a SIG Sauer P228, so I'll give you coolness points for that.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Baretta won the military contract dues to price point.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Leroy Jethro Gibbs (NCIS) carries a SIG Sauer P228, so I'll give you coolness points for that.
    Martin Riggs carries a Baretta 92!

I'd rather have my Sig P229

VIP Member
    LOL I love the Glock over Sig comment. Take the Sig dude....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I own a P226, but the Beretta would do as well.

What i would choose would be something else other than a Beretta. In your poll, that only leaves one, and if given the choice, that would be it for me. I owned a Beretta 92FS for about six months (way back when). The Beretta may be something to some, but it's everything that needs to be missing for me. To each his (or her) own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Rumor says they switched to the P229 in Season 7. I haven't seen a clean shot to verify.

In real life, NCIS switched to the P229 in .40, according to sources.
    Knowing is half the battle.

VIP Member
    No question... SIG!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I picked up an Italian 92FS Inox exactly a week ago today. I mainly bought it out of nostalgia since an M9 was what I carried in the sandbox, but I also consider the look very sexy. Just never engage the safety.

Either has a strong following and are reliable. If shooting low power ammo through the Beretta, you would most likely need a reduced power recoil spring, but I can't think of much else that would go wrong without many thousands of rounds.

Other than that, get Mec-Gar mags so your mags slide in/out more easily and that's it. I bought the 18 round Optimum (?) mags and it's excellent so far, but then again, Mec-Gar usually is.

Now if you want sheer ergonomic perfection, then go CZ . . . had to throw that in.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    For longevity, P226. (Look up locking block failures in Berettas.) For fit, in my not-so-large hands, P226. (With a custom-contoured trigger, or the optional factory short trigger, not the long/fat factory trigger.) For point-and-pull simplicity, P226. For the absence of those safety levers, P226. For familiarity, based on what I already have, P226.

To be clear, the Beretta is a great pistol, out of the box. I could live with a Beretta 92 "G" or "D" model, and not lose any sleep over the choice.

Regarding "never engaging" the safety, well, the safety levers are THERE, and they operate in opposition to other safety levers with which I have greater familiarity. Moreover, in a struggle, or moving through brush, those safeties may be engaged, whether I like it or not.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Be careful of those Berrettas....Darn things multiply faster then rabbits in spring time! I bought a 950B and all of a sudden I ended up getting a 21A and a 92SBC...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have owned both a Sig P226 and a Beretta 92FS (Glock and Kahr now) and hands down I would recommend the Sig P226. To me it just has better ergonomic features and seems to fit a wider range of hand sizes. The legendary reliability and the fact that it is the choice of the Navy Seals over the Beretta helps to seal the deal, for me anyway. The Beretta is a good choice and cheaper too, but the Sig is way cooler IMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Moreover, in a struggle, or moving through brush, those safeties may be engaged, whether I like it or not.
    Just an FYI, if the offender is so close that you're in a "struggle" for the weapon, any gun belongs to both of you and neither of you. Hopefully training and luck gives the good guy the upper hand.

Also, if you're going through brush so thick that the safety on the Beretta gets engaged, chances are you wouldn't be able to reach the gun in the first place. Personally, I'd be carrying something bigger than a 9mm. Just saying . . .

It really just comes down to which you prefer. I think the 92A1 is really sexy, but that's just me. I haven't decided whether I'd get one or not since I have the INOX 92. I'll probably add a 226 or 229 to my collection in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links