Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226

This is a discussion on Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious what you guys think, I would like to have a nice solid gun....

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sig Sauer P226

58 80.56%
  • Beretta 92A1

14 19.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92A1 vs Sig Sauer P226

Just curious what you guys think, I would like to have a nice solid gun.
    Attached Images
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Sig. I like the trigger better, I think it's a higher quality piece, and I think it looks better.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I own a couple P226's (and 229's, etc. etc.) and I've owned a few Beretta's over the years. I still have my Sig's, but no longer have any Beretta's (well not 92's or 96's). The 92 is a nice platform, it's a nice shooter. However I did find it to be more finicky with ammo and not quite as rugged. My Sig is a true work horse, it doesn't mind getting dirty. The Beretta didn't fair as well in poor weather and it's accuracy was slightly worse (not to the point I won't discount the underlying factor to be me).

If this pistol will be for self defense then I'd go with the P226 (if it's for concealed I'd suggest a smaller model than the 226). If you want a really beautiful gun (not counting the new ones, I'd suggest looking for the Italian models as the others don't seem to have quite the same finishing touches) that'll bring a joy to your face on the range then I think it comes down to which you like the looks of more.

It's not for concealed carry, I have my G26 for that. I just would like to have a nice solid range/home defense gun. I like the looks of the Beretta a little more than the Sig but the sig does look good. I wouldn't make my decision based on just looks anyways. Functionality beats out looks, why do you think I bought a Glock, lol.

Get the Sig. I'm on my way to the gun shop now to take a look at a P220 or P229.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I voted for the Beretta.
    Partly because of price. The list price on the Beretta is easily a couple hundred dollars less.
    Partly because Glock was not an option. Personally, I think a G17 or G19 would be an ideal compliment to your G26.
    Lastly, to be perfectly honest, to annoy the Sig Sauer fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    It's not for concealed carry, I have my G26 for that. I just would like to have a nice solid range/home defense gun. I like the looks of the Beretta a little more than the Sig but the sig does look good. I wouldn't make my decision based on just looks anyways. Functionality beats out looks, why do you think I bought a Glock, lol.
    IMO a Sig is the all metal version of a Glock in terms of reliability, except for maybe the finish. Not to discount HK in any way but I think Glock has made more of a name based on reliability than HK has due to the popularity of the platform.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I voted for the Beretta.
    Partly because of price. The list price on the Beretta is easily a couple hundred dollars less.
    Partly because Glock was not an option. Personally, I think a G17 or G19 would be an ideal compliment to your G26.
    You Glock fans have everything else, can't you at least let me keep my dignity?

Anyways, I think considering his factors either choice will work for him. I think the Sig is the better shooter, but they can be pricier depending on where you look around. If you do go the Beretta route though, thoroughly feed the gun different ammo types. You really want to find out what rounds it thrives on and which will give you issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I voted for the Beretta.
    Nah, I'm a Sig fan but I own more Glocks than Sigs. Price was a factor in the cases I purchased a Glock I'll admit. Hey, they are a good value. However, what you said is very very true. A nice Glock 17 with some night sights and you have a supurb compliment to your G26. You could even pop the G17 mags in the G26 and go if you had to. While I think a Sig is a finer weapon, I would lean toward a Glock if one were thinking about a compliment to a G26.

I'm sorry if I threw a wrench in the works with that, but I still vote Sig if you're set on these two options.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I wouldn't buy another Glock because I don't see the point if I already have a G26, the only difference a 17 would make is longer sight radius and more grip. Its a waste of money since I could just buy 17 mags and use them in the 26. Therefore I am looking for a metal gun that has a reliabilty of a Glock which is both the Beretta and Sig but it looks like the Sig is winning out.

I wouldn't buy another Glock because I don't see the point if I already have a G26, the only difference a 17 would make is longer sight radius and more grip. Its a waste of money since I could just buy 17 mags and use them in the 26. Therefore I am looking for a metal gun that has a reliabilty of a Glock which is both the Beretta and Sig but it looks like the Sig is winning out.
    Um...the Glock offers the same thing as the Sig for a lot less. It's just another weapon and it will have the exact same trigger as your G26 so there's no re-learning technique or anything. I would argue that a Sig offers nothing over your G26 except longer sight radius and more weight.

You see where this can go? That's right nowhere

You're discounting something suggested seemingly without thinking it through. It was thrown out there and I think it's something you have to consider. Take it for what it's worth.
    -Thomas Jefferson

A new Glock doesn't offer anything over my G26 that would be significant. You're forgetting the sig has a hammer, DA/SA, and all steel frame, different grip, different look, etc.

A new Glock doesn't offer anything over my G26 that would be significant. You're forgetting the sig has a hammer, DA/SA, and all steel frame, different grip, different look, etc.
    When SHTF do you really want more weight, different grip angle, different trigger system etc?

That's the question that was posed, hidden in the suggestion of a G17 to "compliment" the 26. I've come to the conclusion, and it has been recommended to me many times I just never realized it, that you should consolidate on a platform and stick with that for when things go south and you gotta grab a weapon.

If you don't like this idea fine...but to say "it offers nothing" is really overlooking the first issue. Familiarity with the platform.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Well I don't care for another Glock, the thread is about sig vs beretta so please keep comments toward the main topic.

I'm going to have to say Sig, all the way.

I am not a fan of Beretta at all. And plus the SEALs carry Sig P226s, so that says something for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links