380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one. - Page 3

380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one.

This is a discussion on 380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I doubt that Magnaporting makes enough difference to matter, with .38 ammo. I say this as someone who does own an Airweight ...

View Poll Results: 380 or 38 special for pocket carry?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7 rounds of 380

118 40.55%
  • 5 rounds of 38 Special

173 59.45%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    First of all, I doubt that Magnaporting makes enough difference to matter, with .38 ammo. I say this as someone who does own an Airweight Centennial that is Magnaported.

I voted .38 revolver in the poll. Nothing hypothetical about it, as I have sold off .380 autos, though they were Colt Mustangs, and still use snubbies. On a slightly larger scale, I have also sold off a Glock G27, and still use SP101 snubbies.

The snubby's grip is more rounded, allowing me to reach quickly into a pocket, and obtain a correct firing grip in a hurry. Spurless, shrouded, or concealed hammers allow a smooth draw. I also prefer pocket guns that use dry lubricant, and that usually favors the revolver. Moist/greasy lubes attract lint and dust.

Lastly, keep in mind that a pocketed weapon can be VERY difficult to reach once a struggle has already started. I don't want my only weapon to be down inside a pocket.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    First of all, I doubt that Magnaporting makes enough difference to matter, with .38 ammo. I say this as someone who does own an Airweight Centennial that is Magnaported.

Lastly, keep in mind that a pocketed weapon can be VERY difficult to reach once a struggle has already started. I don't want my only weapon to be down inside a pocket.
    I noticed a reduction in felt recoil after porting; it made the 38 much more pleasant to shoot.

For most of the time the pocket gun is not a primary; I like having it there because my hand can be on it if approached in parking lot ect... without having to reveal that I'm packing. Primary is typically a Glock 33 or XDsc 40. However, due to certain factors, sometimes the pocket gun would be the only one; I need to work on that.

The picture on page one of this thread is pretty much how I look when I pocket carry my LCR with shorts. I just wear a longer t-shirt or baseball jersey or other longer cover shirt and all is well. The speed strips fit in my front pocket nicely.

I am shocked by the poll results.....yes I love snubbies and revolvers, but the flatness of a 380 is far superior to concealing than the cylinder of a 38.....and I have both, but the 642 is still too bulky for me, whereas the LCP or similar just drops in.

Pocket carrying a snubbie is just as hard, for me, as OWB a G26...meaning they are about the same so why go with a 5 shot at that point?
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

.38 Special

Although not the particular guns that you mentioned, I do have a .38 snub and a .380. The J-frame is with me all the time, my Bersa is in the safe. Pocket carry to me means that I might have to fire from my pocket, so that leaves only one option, a hammerless snub.

I pocket carry a charter arms .38 spl (the off duty model) and its a little more of a hassle than pocket carrying my LCP but not impossible.

The off duty model is hammerless and has a short combat style grip, if you are going to pocket carry a snubbie go for the shortest grip you can shoot comfortably (only 12oz empty too!). Best holster I found so far for the snubbie is a desantis nemesis, really helps break up the outline of the cylinder/grip in your pocket.

gtv
    I voted .38, first because I am personally not a big fan of .380, and second because even though I bought a KT PF9 to pocket carry, I have found myself using the LCR my wife bought a lot here of late. It is a great little gun, and I do not find it that much less concealable than the KT. I mean, if you really want to pocket carry the snubby, there are a number of clothing options that make doing so feasible.

Either one would be a great choice, though... I guess it really comes down to your own personal decision of whether you want more power, or 1 or 2 more chances to hit...
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have both, I have carried each, just this week.
    My preference if making a choice would be the .38...still easy to conceal and a little more powerful SD weapon.
    +1

I love S&W J-frames, but the bulge of the barrel dissuades me from pocket carry. I'd gladly carry some in other holsters though.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

I own a 642 and my dad pocket carries an LCP as a BUG daily. The issue I run in to with the 642 is that unless I'm wearing cargo pants or shorts with deep pockets, the grip of the gun shows. Not to mention the bulge of a J-frame. An LCP is half the width. I wear loose fitting jeans and a J-frame prints. An LCP can be carried easily in jeans.

As far as reliability, my personal experience with the LCP has proven it to be a very reliable gun, but obviously the J-frame would probably prevail in that arena.

This performance they've been getting out of .380 with the Hornady Critical Defense is impressive.

With all that said, I'm going to go against the grain and say and LCP in .380 with some Hornady Critical Defense in it.

I carry both as well..but to insure that the gun does not show when in summer clothing, I prefer an LCP, front pocket with spare mag. My LCP is with me in my pocket even in winter and while I holster carry my Sig 229. Placing one's hand in the pocket in a non-chelant attitude and palming the gun without anyone being the wiser is a great feeling.

I voted for 7 with .380 for pocket carry because that is how I do it. Although, it it is not my primary BUG. I also have a colt det. spec. on my ankle as BUG. The .380 is in my weakside pocket in case the **** really hits the fan. My primary carry is 16-9mm and a spare mag.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    If you can conceal the revolver I'd say go for it. Personally I have an LCR and I find my self leaving it at home because in a pair of jeans the grip protrudes nearly out the pocket. Same thing in cargo shorts unless they have pretty deep front pockets, which mine don't, and carrying the gun in the actual cargo pocket is somewhat uncomfortable. When actually walking the gun brushes against my leg, so it's hard to forget it's there. With the LCP you won't even know you have a gun on you.
    I had the same thing as well. Cannot quite figure out how people pocket carry a J frame. But to each his own. I voted for a slimmer .380.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I know for a fact there are a few million people that would argue with that statement
    ^yes^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

5 reliables beats 7 maybes hands down any day.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links