380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one. - Page 6

380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one.

This is a discussion on 380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude I see so many posts of folks who can't pocket carry a j-frame. I'm not sure where guys are buying their ...

View Poll Results: 380 or 38 special for pocket carry?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7 rounds of 380

118 40.55%
  • 5 rounds of 38 Special

173 59.45%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 380 or 38 Special for pocket carry. Pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I see so many posts of folks who can't pocket carry a j-frame. I'm not sure where guys are buying their britches these days, or what the new fangled miniature pocket style is, but I carried a XD40sc in my right pocket yesterday and about 5 pounds worth of keys, money clip, pocket knife, etc. in the other...in dress pants.
    Firstly, as Cammo Girl points out - not everyone who carries concealed is a guy. My (petite) wife tried both a S&W snubbie and the LCP, and vastly preferred the LCP. If she carries one, it makes sense for me to carry one as well, so we can share mags and ammo.

I think it also matters what you view as "concealed." The pics earlier in this thread that show the snubbie grip at the top of the pocket is NOT concealed to me - anyone standing behind you can see what is in your pocket. Some of us have to venture into areas on a daily basis where discretion is called for - that ain't it.

Factor in business attire (suit pants, not dockers) and tucked-in professional looking dress shirts, and the bulk of the snubbie can be difficult to conceal. Not everyone dresses like a slob (as my mom would say) in jeans and untucked, oversized shirts.

The ballistics of the .38 are better than the .380, but the .380 is vastly easier to conceal due to size, weight, and flatness. It also carries more ammo, is easier to reload, and allows you to carry more spare ammo more easily. Trying to conceal a revolver speed loader is like trying to conceal a golf ball. And so-called "speed" strips are a misnomer if there ever was one.

Frankly, the terminal effectiveness of ALL handguns is very poor. You should be prepared for the necessity of needing to fire several shots in order to force a determined attacker to stop. That's why I prefer a high-cap 9mm to a low-cap .45, and why I prefer a 7-shot .380 (with a fast reload) to a 5-shot snubbie (with a slow reload).

Carry which ever you prefer, but don't suggest that folks who choose a .380 over a snubbie are making a bad choice or are not "trying hard enough" as some of you have suggested. Different circumstances, different needs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Another thing to think about is what you do all day. I carried a j-frame for a long time in my pocket with no issues. But I also stand all day and it just gets old after awhile so I bought the new Taurus TCP. What a pleasure to carry! The bonus is that it virtually disappears in my front pocket, I can bend, squat, sit, whatever and I never have to worry about it being seen or felt!!

I voted for the .380. My KT P3AT fits well in the RF pants pocket. My S&W 642 does not.
    When wearing a jacket, however, the S&W can ride comfortably in the left inside pocket (in a Mika holster), where it is readily available whether I am standing or sitting/driving, in addition to the KT in my pants pocket (Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster).
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

S&W 642, anything else would be uncivilized...

S&W 642 with +P hollow points along with a speed loader works wonders when you just throw it in your pocket.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links