First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun - Page 2

First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun

This is a discussion on First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by i10casual I would get a Ruger. You can use it as a hammer if needed. . So that's what those are used ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    I would get a Ruger. You can use it as a hammer if needed..
    So that's what those are used for?
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

IMO, you dont want a de-cocker. You want simple pull trigger = bang, and no bang put back in holster. I carry a Glock 30. Simple. 10 rounds of 45 ACP. It was my second handgun purchase after my S&W 38 snubbie. The Glock 30 is much easier for me to shoot than the snubbie... low recoil, reliable, good energy transfer to BG. Around here, 45 ACP ammo is only about $2 more per box than the 9mm. I dont want to knock any purchase you want to get, but dont be afraid of the 45ACP. Bunker

VIP Member
    Based on your description of desires and ‘limited’ budget, I’d look for a used Glock and call it done. Otherwise, you may consider what you really want and toss it on lay-away, as some local dealers generally give you 90-days.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For a novice shooter, you seriously can't go wrong with a Glock. Affordable, reliable, easy to shoot, easy to maintain. Look around on the internet you can find used police trade-ins for under $400
    Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. is one site I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I'll find out more about some Glocks on Monday when I shoot a few. How concealable is a G19 though?
    I'll need to look at it more closely I guess.
    Look at the Glock-36...proven, .45 caliber, and it's now my EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you're a lefty and liked the feel of the H&K P2000, then strongly consider the H&K USP, P30, P2000 and P2000SK varieties. Of those, you'll likely find one that's perfect for you. Nicely, each of those platforms also supports various calibers. So, you can start with the 9mm pistol now, then acquire the .45 ACP later if that's what you want.

I am completing break-in of a HK P2000SK 9mm, myself. It's perfectly reliable. A bit small for my hand, perhaps, but otherwise it's a good fit. The ambidextrous controls are nice (lefty here, too!). HK makes a very nice pistol. Brand new, HK's can be a bit more expensive than some other options. You can often find a decent HK USP for under $500, certainly under $600. Highly recommended, though.

If you are looking for a very concealable and decent first pistol in 9mm, consider the Kahr K9 or P9. It's known for having a very ergonomic grip that fits many people well. Though of lower capacity than many 9mm's on the market, it is thin and carries easily. New, the K9 is well north of $600 as well. Not exactly cheap, but it's a good pistol. Not ambi controls, but the buttons are large and relatively easily manipulated by a lefty.

You might take a look at the CZ P-01 or CZ 75 Compact PCR. CZ makes an exceedingly good gun. Highly reliable and durable. The grip is a bit larger, so it'll probably fit your big mitts well. I carried a P-01 for the past 3yrs. While it's thicker than some other 9mm's on the market, it conceals reasonably well. Good support in the after-market, for holsters, grips and other items. Not ambi controls, but easily manipulated by a lefty. Highly recommended.

Welcome to DC! Glad to have you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a few GLOCKs and they are great guns but they don't fit everyone. I also have two M&P's that I find much more comfortable to shoot. For a EDC I carry a Walther PPS. The glocks and XD's and M&P's are just not that comfortable to carry. Don't get me wrong not impossible, just not as comfortable as the PPS or say a Taurus 709.

I like all of the major brands, don't let someone tell you that only one brand will work for you. Know what you want to do with the gun (i.e iwb carry or owb) and find what fits you.

I didn't like the egged handle of the M&P. But, that's just me.

Both the Glock and the XD have been put through the ringer and are proven.

Go with either and you can supplement it later with the subcompact version that will accept the larger version's magazines.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    IMO, you dont want a de-cocker. You want simple pull trigger = bang, and no bang put back in holster. I carry a Glock 30. Simple. 10 rounds of 45 ACP. It was my second handgun purchase after my S&W 38 snubbie. The Glock 30 is much easier for me to shoot than the snubbie... low recoil, reliable, good energy transfer to BG. Around here, 45 ACP ammo is only about $2 more per box than the 9mm. I dont want to knock any purchase you want to get, but dont be afraid of the 45ACP. Bunker
    Thanks for the info. I'm not afraid of 45ACP at all. From everything I've been reading it should be no real issue to shoot since it's typically lower velocity, therefore less recoil, and probably even less than the 40sw. But ammo cost differences between 9mm and 45ACP are a bit of a concern in my locale. Granted, I'll probably buy in bulk when I find the load I like, and for my FMJ practice ammo, but until then every penny does count. Heck, I may even end up reloading as a supporting hobby and cost cutting measure, who knows. :)

I'll be shooting the Glocks next week, naybe I'll be able to get my hands on a 45ACP model while there. Hope so.
    Last edited by Corlissimo; April 9th, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post

I like all of the major brands, don't let someone tell you that only one brand will work for you. Know what you want to do with the gun (i.e iwb carry or owb) and find what fits you.
    Agreed. My main criteria is to carry IWB. My logic is that I can always move to OWB more easily than the other way around with most any model I end up carrying.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

ntg
    I was on a similar quest about 5 months ago. I wanted something concealable, 9mm, not to hard to shoot/learn with, and reliable. I shot a g19, a FNP9, an Berretta PX4 in 9, and then an XD9sc. I was sold on the XD the first time I shot it. It points where you look (glocks don't for me), it is easy to shoot/practice with. Fairly accurate, too. Is is the most concealable? No, but it isn't that bad. I also like that it has good capacity for the size that it is. I was sold on the extended mag, too. Although I don't practice with it that much, honestly. I've since shot the new SR9c and it is a good one too. I don't like the trigger as much, and the capacity is a little less. It is more concealable, and it's one that you can shoot all day. You're P11, PF9 and the other small, light types are not all day at the range shooters. I wanted to get something that I could shoot a lot to hone my pistol skills. Go 9mm, as it is enough for PD, and it is less expensive to shoot. And the tamer recoil makes it more capable of learning how to shoot a pistol with. My 2 bits.

Also, try to "drive" all you can. I shot all of these at my local gun club; everyone there is generally real friendly and eager to help. It's harder if it cost you a lot to test drive.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

If being left handed is as major a factor for you as it is for me I would take a long look at the M&P and the Ruger SR9. Also you are on track thinking 9mm for your first hand gun. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Unless you can find a nice used .22 revolver. Cheaper yet to shoot and a real blast. Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I'll find out more about some Glocks on Monday when I shoot a few. How concealable is a G19 though?
    I'll need to look at it more closely I guess.
    Hello to a fellow Tarheel! I often carry a Glock G23 (.40), which is the same size as the G19 (9mm). From your info, we are the same size (o.k., I've got you by a few pounds ), and I carry the G23 IWB @ 4:00 without any trouble at all. On me it pretty much disappears under a T-shirt. I'm kinda wide in the shoulders, so I normally wear a 3xl. The little bit of extra shirt around the middle hides the weapon nicely. In the winter, a Carhartt vest works just as well. The Glock mag release is reversible, no external safety to worry with, and using an over-the-top slide rack makes the slide release a non-issue for the most part. I would highly recommend the weapon (G23 or G19).

I also carry the Kahr CW9 (lower cost version of the P9), and if you're looking for something a little smaller, I cannot speak more highly of mine. I would consider it a sub-compact, but the grip frame is just large enough to offer me a full 3-finger grip. Very compact, and mine has been very reliable. Best $400 carry gun I have tried.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Welcome to the club! If you feel you can conceal the G21SF, and like the large frame 45acp in plastic, then I say get the Glock! Had a G21 myself for a few years...it just didn't play out like I expected it to...but that's just me. I'm all about Glock, but I have something different for 45acp..(for now). I took to a SIG P220 SAO. My heart tells me I need to get back to Glock in a 45.....it's just that I'm thinking the 45G.A.P. model might just be my best bet on it. I've had the 3rd generation G21 and G30 before. Keep in mind, it's a personal decision that only you can make. I do love the 45acp for what it is, and what it's been to me in the past. I just simply long for the feel of a 1911 in a different sort of way, and I've had a couple of those 1911s in the past as well. My best to you in your search for what's right.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    Hello to a fellow Tarheel! I often carry a Glock G23 (.40), which is the same size as the G19 (9mm). From your info, we are the same size (o.k., I've got you by a few pounds ), and I carry the G23 IWB @ 4:00 without any trouble at all. On me it pretty much disappears under a T-shirt. I'm kinda wide in the shoulders, so I normally wear a 3xl. The little bit of extra shirt around the middle hides the weapon nicely. In the winter, a Carhartt vest works just as well. The Glock mag release is reversible, no external safety to worry with, and using an over-the-top slide rack makes the slide release a non-issue for the most part. I would highly recommend the weapon (G23 or G19).

I also carry the Kahr CW9 (lower cost version of the P9), and if you're looking for something a little smaller, I cannot speak more highly of mine. I would consider it a sub-compact, but the grip frame is just large enough to offer me a full 3-finger grip. Very compact, and mine has been very reliable. Best $400 carry gun I have tried.
    Thanks BigBear. No doubt I like the Glock feel, just need some shooting time with them. I know there are extended mag release buttons available too. Honestly, I have no problem using my left index finger to release the mag instead of using my thumb. It's quite easy for me. Since I also plan on training to shoot weak side, having a Glock with the release set for a righty might actually aid me in that regard.

As far as carry position, I'd likely be a mirror image of you... carrying mine at 8 o'clock. At least that's how I think it will likely be at this point. But time and trial will tell for sure. :)

If you're around the Raleigh/Durham area maybe we'll get a chance to shoot some time. I appreciate any pointers I can get. :)

Cheers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links