First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun

This is a discussion on First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’d really like to learn more about the Springfield XD & XDm in compact sizes as well as the M&P9 and 9c. ^^^^^you would be ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun

VIP Member
    I’d really like to learn more about the Springfield XD & XDm in compact sizes as well as the M&P9 and 9c.

^^^^^you would be well served by the M&P, full size OR compact^^^^

Welcome from Michigan!!!!

Is a gambling problem still a problem if you always win?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post
    If you're around the Raleigh/Durham area maybe we'll get a chance to shoot some time. I appreciate any pointers I can get. :)

Cheers!
    I live in the Charlotte area, but my daughter will be attending NCSU in the Fall. If you haven't and get the chance, check out Gunners Alley in Cary for holsters and accessories. They are good folk. Check out their Wilderness Instructor's Belts. A belt made for concealed carry goes a long way in making CC much easier and more comfortable.
    Best of luck in your Quest.
    Last edited by BigBear; April 10th, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Glock!

Based on your criteria you need to seriously look at the Glock 23.

I'd recommend the Glock 27, but you say you have big hands. Without the extended magazine and sleeve you probably wouldn't like the Glock subs. For that matter most subs.

The G23 is 40 cal. a serious defensive load. As other suggests, as you go forward, add other barrells for different caliber.

Glocks are ultra reliable and their costs are very reasonable for the total firearm your getting. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars breaking it in before you can rely on it.

If you want to spend a bit more, and again I see no reason to, look at the H&K P2000 and Sig 250. The Sig is advertised as having a lot of flexibility. That is you can buy it in compact and by buying add'l barrells etc. you can convert it to full size, as well as changing caliber. I don't have one so I'm not speaking from experience, but if I was limited to one gun, my worse nightmare, I'd want something flexible.

Good luck with your search. For this 'gun nut' one gun is sacriligeous. But, hey, it's better than no gun.

Go and shoot each, if your local range permits renting. The one that feels best in your hand, and hits COM the most is the one. Now as far as EDC goes you will learn that some clothes, belts, etc. you already have are not very good for EDC. So you will learn to dress around the gun that best fits YOU. One that you are familiar with and shoot straight. Suggesting you something that I love and EDC, helps you none. ;-)

Glock G26. Accurate, concealable, reliable, lots of mag choices, and lots of holster choices. No comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    I live in the Charlotte area, but my daughter will be attending NCSU in the Fall. If you haven't and get the chance, check out Gunners Alley in Cary for holsters and accessories. They are good folk. Check out their Wilderness Instructor's Belts. A belt made for concealed carry goes a long way in making CC much easier and more comfortable.
    Best of luck in your Quest.
    Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of Gunners Alley before. I keep reading about how important the right belt is and I imagine that this is true for IWB just as much as for OWB carry. I haven't really started looking at holsters & belts yet since I've not even settled on which gun but I think I'll be getting closer soon.
    :)
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I'll find out more about some Glocks on Monday when I shoot a few. How concealable is a G19 though?
    I'll need to look at it more closely I guess.
    If you feel like you can conceal a G21SF, you will definitely be able to tuck away a G19 without any problem.

You can't go wrong with the XDm (or the origional) for sure.
    I have the 4.5" XDm in 9mm and other than a 1911 (which it sounds like you dont want), it is by far the best shooting gun I have had the pleasure to shoot so far. The trigger is very nice (on the m especially). It fits in the hand wonderfully. It points naturally, is very accurate and reliable, has all the right safeties, etc.
    The one I have holds a whopping 19 rounds o.O
    For CC I would highly suggest the 3.8" 9mm XDm. You wont be dissapointed!

also, I wouldnt worry about conversion kits. They are often almost as expensive as the gun.
    A 9mm that you can carry should be your top priority. After that get a 22 to practice with, then before you know it you will have 20 more :)
    You will always have someone trying to convince you to go 40 or 45. 9mm is just fine, a lot cheaper, and much nicer to learn on. I have been shooting for maybe 4 years now and still tend to just get 9s (or 22) when I buy a new gun. I'm sure ill get a 45 soon enough, but mainly just cuz I love the 1911. Personally I cant stand the way a 40 shoots, but thats just me.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I know it's not listed, but have you considered a CZ specifically the P-01 and/or PCR. Top Gun Supply is selling the P-01 for an incredible sale price of $460 (CZ-75 Compact P01, Fixed Sights, 9mm - Top Gun Supply).

The P-01 is a NATO certified (NATO Approval), DA/SA decocker, 14 rounder, poly-coated, steel slide/alloy frame hell of a weapon. The PCR is not NATO certified, but is similar to the P-01 just without a rail.

If you do some research, you can find all the information you could ever want about these pistols. Great weapons and everyone has heard/read about the ergonomics.

Just an FYI on the P-01 listed above, it's a contract overrun so once they're all gone, that'll be it for the price. In Europe, the P-01 is known as the CZ75 D Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Glock G26. Accurate, concealable, reliable, lots of mag choices, and lots of holster choices. No comparison.
    The HK P2000SK is a pretty decent comparison. Similar size, a tad heavier, strong reputation for reliability, durability. Not as strong of support in the after-market, obviously, but then nothing other than a 1911 does. It's sufficient, to find reasonable sights, holsters, threaded barrels and accessories. As with Glock, it's available in a variety of calibers and sizes. Somewhat similar "brick" (blocky) grip feel, as well, for sticklers.

And, it's on the OP's original list of candidates.

So, M590: Any decision yet?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's important to try out as many guns as you can, and buy the one that fits you the best. When I was looking for a fullsize .45ACP I tried many of the guns that have been mentioned, and found that the 4" XD most pleasing to handle and shoot -- so that's the one I bought, and have been very happy with it.

So I add my voice to those who have suggested that you try before you buy.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Glock 19 and if it's too large for you to carry concealed, Glock 26. You can use the 19Mags in the 26 with a mag sleeve and get 15+1. Shoot one if you don't believe the Glock fans. It's one smooth shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    I would get a Ruger. You can use it as a hammer if needed.
    They are tough gun for beginners. Then you will want another firearm in a few weeks time. I'd go for a Glock.
    Yep P95 ambi safety and mag release and will drive tacks!! And you will never want to touch a Glock.
    Last edited by jbum; April 12th, 2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: messed up

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd
    You can't go wrong with the XDm (or the origional) for sure.
    I have the 4.5" XDm in 9mm and other than a 1911 (which it sounds like you dont want), it is by far the best shooting gun I have had the pleasure to shoot so far. The trigger is very nice (on the m especially). It fits in the hand wonderfully. It points naturally, is very accurate and reliable, has all the right safeties, etc.
    The one I have holds a whopping 19 rounds o.O
    For CC I would highly suggest the 3.8" 9mm XDm. You wont be dissapointed!
    Yeah, I'm still trying to find a local shop with some SA inventory (XD or XDm) as I really want to get my hands on them to get a feel. I found a couple other shops relatively close by so I'm stopping there later this week.

also, I wouldnt worry about conversion kits. They are often almost as expensive as the gun.
    A 9mm that you can carry should be your top priority. After that get a 22 to practice with, then before you know it you will have 20 more :)
    My main reason for a conversion kit is that my chief concern is SD/tactical hundgun use. I want to practice as many exercises as possible and shoot as much as possible to become as proficient as possible. This includes professional instruction. A conversion kit should let me do many things with my EDC piece while keeping ammo costs as low as possible. Of course I'd only be able to effectively practice things like marksmanship, strong- and weak-hand only shooting, draw stroke, reload drills, etc etc... but at least I could do it without breaking the bank on 9mm FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    The HK P2000SK is a pretty decent comparison. Similar size, a tad heavier, strong reputation for reliability, durability. Not as strong of support in the after-market, obviously, but then nothing other than a 1911 does. It's sufficient, to find reasonable sights, holsters, threaded barrels and accessories. As with Glock, it's available in a variety of calibers and sizes. Somewhat similar "brick" (blocky) grip feel, as well, for sticklers.

So, M590: Any decision yet?
    Well, spent a few hours with Mr Glock today. Shot the 17 & 19. The G19 is amazingly nice and caveman simple. Sizewise I could definitely carry it all day and it would hide easily on me. Just wish there was a compact Glock in .45ACP so I could try that out. The sub-compacts just don't feel right to me so they are out, but I kinda knew that going in to this whole thing.

The Glock trigger was very nice and the grip angle didn't effect me at all. For my very first handgun outing I did quite well with it, holding fist-sized groups at 25yds. I could make cloverleafs all day at 5yds, which really surprised my instructor. The Glock 19 passes my "caveman" test and makes me look good doing it!

Also spent a good deal of time fondling an FNP9, CZ75, and H&K P2000SK (.40S&W) while at the shop/range today.

FNP9: I like the feel of it & the fire controls, but I don't think I'll have a way to shoot one, so it's moving down the list a little bit.

CZ75: Felt good too. Downside in my eyes is the slide in frame design. It bothers me the same way the SR9 does... just not enough slide to grab easily. If it were my range gun only then no problem, but I want it stupid simple to use under stress so it's out of the running.

H&K P2000SK: What can I say? Of course, I didn't shoot this one either... yet, but it just feels sooo right in my hands (yes, I am always trying it in both hands as I intend to practice weak side shooting very heavily). Points great and the trigger is very nice as far as I can tell, considering I could only dry fire it with snap caps. I'm almost afraid to shoot one because I just know it'll be all over. I'll stop all comparisons and plop down my cash on a 9mm P2000SK and that scares me a little!

I've still got to get hands on the XD/XDm stuff, and I really want to check out the M&P9 & 9c. After those, I think I'll be ready to make my choice. At least there's a gun show coming up May 1 & 2 so if I haven't found anyone locally with the SA or M&P stuff, I should be able to find it at the show.

Thanks to all of you for your input, suggestions, and encouragement. Please feel free to keep it coming in case I'm being myopic or just plain stupid.

Cheers!
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

I think you're doing a great job exploring your options. Bravo.

My two cents: I owned a first generation G17 for a LOONG time. Great gun, but when I held the M&P9, the ol' Glock felt like the proverbial bar of soap.

The XDs are fine too, but the lack of a grip safety (I don't like 'em) and the "Made in USA" sold me on the Smith. Plus I don't think you can beat the ergos. I'm happy as a clam!

Good luck in your search!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links