First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun

This is a discussion on First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this is your first handgun truly, get yourself a S&W or Ruger .357 magnum 6 round revolver. You can fire 38specials out of it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun

If this is your first handgun truly, get yourself a S&W or Ruger .357 magnum 6 round revolver. You can fire 38specials out of it and learn to shoot well. After learning all the basics of shooting and handling move up to .357 magnum rounds for self-defense and nothing I mean nothing in a pistol or revovler beats a .357 magnum with a 4" barrel for self defense. They can talk about a lot of rounds but the first two are all that counts. The number one gun for 1st round stops is the .357magnum. You don't need 17 rounds for self defense only two. Plus later on you might take it hunting for deer or hogs something in that range.

Anyway that my humble opinion

fknipfer1

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    The G19 is the quintessential Glock.

If you have the bucks- you could get a G23 and use the conversion barrel. You mentioned the G21sf- That's the largest frame for Glocks! So, any other model will conceal easily.
    With all this talk of barrel swaps for different calibers, don't forget to factor in the very possible cost of magazines for each caliber as well...

First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun - UPDATE

Found a shop with some XD & XDm inventory and it's only 5 miles from my house. Hooray!
    Decent prices from what I've seen and friendly service, which is good as I prefer to support local mom & pop shops.

Got a chance to handle the XDm 9mm & 40s&w. Both were at $659.00. I love them! Pointed extremely naturally for me; had high visibility sights; the ambi mag release was extremely natural and easy to actuate both lefty and righty, and didn't protrude excessively (one of the things I didn't like about the factory release on the G17 & G19 as it started irritating me when shooting).

He also carries M&P but had just sold his last one the other day so he's waiting for new inventory from the distributor. When that arrives I'll finally get a chance to fondle the M&P 9 & 9c.

I also played with a couple 4" XD's (9mm & .40sw). I think I like the XD a little better than the XDm, but it's not a huge difference. Truly though, it's the price point of the XD vs. the XDm that pushes it higher on my list. The XD 9mm was $500 and the .40sw was $559.
    Additionally, the XD's also seem to fit, feel, and function for me exactly like the XDm's.

I think I'm almost completely sold on the Springfield stuff because they just feel so right and are easy for me to operate quickly, but am reserving my final judgment until I've handled the M&P's.

I'm also thinking that the XD line will have a larger selection of aftermarket parts, holsters, etc etc, right?

Found a couple good barrel conversions for the XD's too. Storm Lake has a .40 -> 9mm conversion barrel for $125 (xdpistols.com) and there's also an EAA 22LR conversion for $191 (slide assy & barrel) and magazines for $20.30 (also at xdpistols.com).

I'll post a separate thread asking about these conversions, who's used them, and any experiences.

Thanks again to all who've responded. As always, if you think I'm smoking crack with my ideas, or if I'm headed off into the weeds at all, please feel free to pipe up and let me know. I'm not proud or easily offended.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

A 22 and learn to shoot, Practice, Master the Basics, & then worry about hardware.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post

Got a chance to handle the XDm 9mm & 40s&w. Both were at $659.00. I love them!

I also played with a couple 4" XD's (9mm & .40sw). I think I like the XD a little better than the XDm, but it's not a huge difference. Truly though, it's the price point of the XD vs. the XDm that pushes it higher on my list. The XD 9mm was $500 and the .40sw was $559.
    Additionally, the XD's also seem to fit, feel, and function for me exactly like the XDm's.
    Those prices seem a bit high. Might want to shop around a bit. Where I worked we sold the XD9mm and XD40sw 4" models for $489.

I think I'm almost completely sold on the Springfield stuff because they just feel so right and are easy for me to operate quickly, but am reserving my final judgment until I've handled the M&P's.
    The M&P will feel nothing like the XD. Not saying it doesn't feel good. It does, just different. Definitely worth waiting to see if you like it. It will be substantially higher priced though.

I'm also thinking that the XD line will have a larger selection of aftermarket parts, holsters, etc etc, right?
    As of now they do.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

For my limited experience with guns my Springfield service xd .45 seems to be everything I want in a gun. I went with the 4" for possible concealment. It is very easy to clean and seems to eat any ammo I feed it. I have shot 2500 rds or so and never had any problems. It can take a lot of research to find a gun just for you but you will find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Those prices seem a bit high. Might want to shop around a bit. Where I worked we sold the XD9mm and XD40sw 4" models for $489.
    That could be the case. Those prices were at the only local shop I could find that had inventory. My bad as I never bothered to check prices at the other shop who was out of stock when I was there. But, I also hadn't even held one yet so I wasn't even sure if an XD/XDm would be right for me. I'll be shopping around the local places now for sure though.

The M&P will feel nothing like the XD. Not saying it doesn't feel good. It does, just different. Definitely worth waiting to see if you like it. It will be substantially higher priced though.
    Understood. I'm really anxious to get my hands on one for comparison.

BTW: As far as prices go, I hadn't even tried to haggle with the guy who had the XD's, but they are a pretty nice mom & pop shop and I'm sure they'd at least listen. Since I'm in the Raleigh/Durham NC area I don't really know how the prices compare to other locale's. But I'm trying to find out!
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links