Defensive Carry banner

First post… Need opinions Re: first handgun

4K views 51 replies 33 participants last post by  Corlissimo 
#1 ·
First off, I just wanted to say “Hi” :wave: and this forum is a great resource. Been lurking for a while now and finally just joined up.

As someone who is just looking to get into handgun ownership and carry, I’m putting together a list of the things I am fairly sure I want in a first handgun. While my budget is very limited (as in I’m only going to have one pistol for a while) and I am working towards a CCW, I would like to stay with quality brands and have no problem justifying a slightly higher initial cost in order to have the quality.

I’m leaning heavily towards 9mm to start with, mainly for capacity, ease of shooting, lower practice ammo costs. However, I’m not averse to the larger calibers (.40S&W, .45ACP) if I can use barrel conversions to practice with. Of course, I will only select a larger caliber if I know I can shoot it well.

I’m not a small guy – 6’ @ 250 lbs. My hands are not small either, with long fingers that have no problem wrapping around full-sized frames and using the controls with relative ease. The only issues I have are being a lefty in a righty world (no biggie) and lack of time & familiarity manipulating said controls.

To this point in time, I have handled some, but shot none… yet.

Have fondled a G21SF and feel like I could conceal it well.
I like the feel of the Sig P226 but think it’s too big for EDC and had no ambi controls.
The HK P2000 was very nice. Pointed very naturally for me.
The FNP-9 also felt very good and pointed well.
It seems that compact versions of these would suit me well, but I have no confirmation yet.

I’m going to get a chance to shoot an HK .45 Tactical this Monday so I’ll know more about HK in general. Will also get a chance to shoot the G21 & G34 the same day so that should help.

In my research, I have been looking at: Glock, HK, XD & XDm, Sig, M&P, and FNP.
I’m really looking to get my hands around the XD/XDm’s, a compact M&P, and a wider variety of HK’s & Sigs, although the Sigs I’ve seen don’t seem to have ambi controls, so I may rule them out altogether.

I am looking to the members here for any recommendations, experiences, and advice about brands and models that fit my criteria*:

1. Ambidextrous mag release, decocker/manual safety (if equipped), slide release (optional)
2. Caliber conversion capable (optional but will help practice greatly)
3. Concealable (IWB preferred)
4. DA/SA, SA, DAK (or similar)
5. Accessory availability (holsters, sights, mags etc)

*Not in order of importance

I’d really like to learn more about the Springfield XD & XDm in compact sizes as well as the M&P9 and 9c.

Any advice, suggestions, and experiences that you can share with me are greatly appreciated. This is especially true for those of you that may EDC any of these.

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The glocks are perfect for your criteria. You can get a g22 in 40, and buy a conversion barrel for 9mm or 357 sig And have 3 in 1. Or if you like the size of the 21sf, you can buy the 20sf in 10mm, get conversion barrels for 40,357sig, 9by25 Dillion or 400 Corbin. Any of these are exellent choices and give you alot of versatiity. The main thing is get proper training and have fun.

#3 ·
I would seriously look into an M&P 9mm. Compact in .40 is my carry piece. It has the ambi slide release and interchangable backstraps(feels much better in the hand than a glock or XD in my opinion).

It can be had with a manual safety or without, with a lock or without, with a magazine safety or without...your choice.

Not sure of any guns that have an ambi mag release, many guns allow you to reverse the release to the other side if you'd like. I don't think this should rank much on anyone's criteria when there are so many other important things to cover first.

#4 ·
Oh, and I would stick with a 9mm for your first gun. If funds are tight then $ would be better spend on ammo or a reloading setup so you can shoot more, instead of a $100 conversion barrel so you can shoot a different caliber.

9mm is a great platform for SD and to truely learn to shoot with with since it has less recoil than the .40 or .45. Master the 9mm and then start worrying about the rest if you choose to down the road.

#5 ·
40 cal glock with a 9mm conversion barrel for learning. Then you are covering all the bases, and you won't feel like you need to buy something more powerful later on .

#6 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

A Glock-19 will fit your hand and serve you well for life, or until you buy another Glock...one is never enough.:wave:

ret :31:

#13 ·
from Central Florida!

A Glock-19 will fit your hand and serve you well for life, or until you buy another Glock...one is never enough.:wave:

ret :31:
Thanks! Yeah, I'll find out more about some Glocks on Monday when I shoot a few. How concealable is a G19 though?
I'll need to look at it more closely I guess.

#7 ·
You are looking at some very good choices of handguns.

I also suggest going with a .40sw and get a 9mm barrel. It will slip right in and give you the flexibility of another caliber.

Glock, XD/XDm, M&P, Sig and H&K are all good choices.

Get what fits and feels most comfortable. Consider how you will be carrying and how you will be dressed. Shoot as many of those as you can and choose what you shoot the best/most accurately versus comfort and concealability.

I am an XD guy. I carry, and have for several years, an XD45acp. I am also a .45acp guy but nothing wrong with .40sw or 9mm.

I am not a Glock fan but that is not because they aren't awesome guns. They are great weapons, they just didn't fit me well.

The only FN that I had a chance to use was too fat. It was bigger than my XD45 and felt ungainly.

Sigs and H&K are fine guns but were out of my price range if bought new. I do not, however, care for Sig double action triggers. Just my opinion.

The XD series comes in the original XD and now the XD-M. Other than some cosmetic differences, the XD-M only offers an adjustable backstrap, different trigger feel (supposedly improved) and a stainless match grade barrel. There are only two choices of size with the XD-M version; 4.5" or 3.8" barrel. The original XD series offers several choices from Tactical, tactical compact, service size and subcompact. One drawback to the XD-m is it is not offered in a compact or subcompact grip size.

All XD's are ambidextrous mag release. All have the grip safety as in the 1911 design. All XD's are striker fired (no hammer). They have three safety features. The grip safety, a trigger safety (like the Glock trigger) and an internal striker block safety that is virtually 100% infallible. As long as the trigger is not pulled, the striker block will physically keep the striker from making contact with the primer. You could use an XD as a hammer and it will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

XD's fall into a SA category (single action) whereas Glocks are kind of both SA/DA. Not sure that would matter to you.

Glocks have a much better aftermarket support for parts because they have been around for nearly 30 years. The aftermarket for the XD series is booming and there are many parts available now. Same for the M&P series Smiths, however, they are still way behind in the aftermarket parts category.

Glocks, XD's and M&P's pretty much have equal excellent aftermarket for holsters and accessories such as lasers, lights, night sights and weapon lights.

I would think that there are offerings from all of these manufacturers that would fit your criteria and offer a concealable configuration to suit you.

In my opinion, I would advise you to stick with one of these three; Glock, XD or M&P.

#9 ·
I also suggest going with a .40sw and get a 9mm barrel. It will slip right in and give you the flexibility of another caliber.

Glock, XD/XDm, M&P, Sig and H&K are all good choices.

Get what fits and feels most comfortable. Consider how you will be carrying and how you will be dressed. Shoot as many of those as you can and choose what you shoot the best/most accurately versus comfort and concealability.
Yeah, I know that if I can't carry it somewhat comfortably, then there's not much point in having it as it will tend to be left home. This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

*snip*

The XD series comes in the original XD and now the XD-M. Other than some cosmetic differences, the XD-M only offers an adjustable backstrap, different trigger feel (supposedly improved) and a stainless match grade barrel. There are only two choices of size with the XD-M version; 4.5" or 3.8" barrel. The original XD series offers several choices from Tactical, tactical compact, service size and subcompact. One drawback to the XD-m is it is not offered in a compact or subcompact grip size.

XD's fall into a SA category (single action) whereas Glocks are kind of both SA/DA. Not sure that would matter to you.
I've been trying to find a local shop who has XD's & XDm's on hand but haven't had any luck there yet. On paper, the XD seems to be pretty close to everything I'm looking for, but I have got to hold it, and preferably, shoot it. I will make the leap without shooting if everything else seems right about my choice though.

SA is something that I think I'd prefer as my research seems to show that they shoot more accurately. A DA/SA (DA for first shot, SA thereafter) looks like it offers the best compromise between SAO smoothness and DAO safety (avoiding ND's & AD's)

*snip*

Glocks, XD's and M&P's pretty much have equal excellent aftermarket for holsters and accessories such as lasers, lights, night sights and weapon lights.

I would think that there are offerings from all of these manufacturers that would fit your criteria and offer a concealable configuration to suit you.

In my opinion, I would advise you to stick with one of these three; Glock, XD or M&P.
Funny, those are the original 3 I started looking at. But, I expanded my search since I didn't want to be myopic, especially considering the fact that I have no experience with handguns so as to make an educated guess.

As a clarification, can a 9mm barrel be dropped into a .40sw XD? Does it matter if the frame is compact at all?

Thanks for the tips! :hand10:

#11 ·
I generally like Rugers very much... long guns that is. Looked at the SR9, which seemed nice but the slide was very low and difficult for me to easily grasp and rack.

It would work at the range, but I want something that will function & be manipulated easily under duress, when gross motor skills are the norm.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

#10 ·
Just my .02, while you are looking at your choices, just pick up the Springfield Armory XD9 Sub-Compact, it's a sweet weapon. I bought the SA XD40 SC and I love it. I put a LaserMax laser in it (replaces the slide & spring). Shoots great. Have on order a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster, can be worn IWB or OWB, in a total of 23 different positions, cants, high, low, etc., one great holster that you can use in about any location.:wave:

#12 ·
Like that Laser Max idea! How dependable is it? I am definitely looking to get my hands on some XD's in the near future... as soon as I find someone near me who has them in stock. At least there'll be a local gun show in May. Should have luck then.

#14 ·
The G19 is the quintessential Glock.

If you have the bucks- you could get a G23 and use the conversion barrel. You mentioned the G21sf- That's the largest frame for Glocks! So, any other model will conceal easily.

#17 ·
IMO, you dont want a de-cocker. You want simple pull trigger = bang, and no bang put back in holster. I carry a Glock 30. Simple. 10 rounds of 45 ACP. It was my second handgun purchase after my S&W 38 snubbie. The Glock 30 is much easier for me to shoot than the snubbie... low recoil, reliable, good energy transfer to BG. Around here, 45 ACP ammo is only about $2 more per box than the 9mm. I dont want to knock any purchase you want to get, but dont be afraid of the 45ACP. Bunker

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I'm not afraid of 45ACP at all. From everything I've been reading it should be no real issue to shoot since it's typically lower velocity, therefore less recoil, and probably even less than the 40sw. But ammo cost differences between 9mm and 45ACP are a bit of a concern in my locale. Granted, I'll probably buy in bulk when I find the load I like, and for my FMJ practice ammo, but until then every penny does count. Heck, I may even end up reloading as a supporting hobby and cost cutting measure, who knows. :)

I'll be shooting the Glocks next week, naybe I'll be able to get my hands on a 45ACP model while there. Hope so.

#18 ·
Based on your description of desires and ‘limited’ budget, I’d look for a used Glock and call it done. Otherwise, you may consider what you really want and toss it on lay-away, as some local dealers generally give you 90-days.

#21 ·
If you're a lefty and liked the feel of the H&K P2000, then strongly consider the H&K USP, P30, P2000 and P2000SK varieties. Of those, you'll likely find one that's perfect for you. Nicely, each of those platforms also supports various calibers. So, you can start with the 9mm pistol now, then acquire the .45 ACP later if that's what you want.

I am completing break-in of a HK P2000SK 9mm, myself. It's perfectly reliable. A bit small for my hand, perhaps, but otherwise it's a good fit. The ambidextrous controls are nice (lefty here, too!). HK makes a very nice pistol. Brand new, HK's can be a bit more expensive than some other options. You can often find a decent HK USP for under $500, certainly under $600. Highly recommended, though.

If you are looking for a very concealable and decent first pistol in 9mm, consider the Kahr K9 or P9. It's known for having a very ergonomic grip that fits many people well. Though of lower capacity than many 9mm's on the market, it is thin and carries easily. New, the K9 is well north of $600 as well. Not exactly cheap, but it's a good pistol. Not ambi controls, but the buttons are large and relatively easily manipulated by a lefty.

You might take a look at the CZ P-01 or CZ 75 Compact PCR. CZ makes an exceedingly good gun. Highly reliable and durable. The grip is a bit larger, so it'll probably fit your big mitts well. I carried a P-01 for the past 3yrs. While it's thicker than some other 9mm's on the market, it conceals reasonably well. Good support in the after-market, for holsters, grips and other items. Not ambi controls, but easily manipulated by a lefty. Highly recommended.

Welcome to DC! Glad to have you. :wave:

#22 ·
I have a few GLOCKs and they are great guns but they don't fit everyone. I also have two M&P's that I find much more comfortable to shoot. For a EDC I carry a Walther PPS. The glocks and XD's and M&P's are just not that comfortable to carry. Don't get me wrong not impossible, just not as comfortable as the PPS or say a Taurus 709.

I like all of the major brands, don't let someone tell you that only one brand will work for you. Know what you want to do with the gun (i.e iwb carry or owb) and find what fits you.

#25 ·
I like all of the major brands, don't let someone tell you that only one brand will work for you. Know what you want to do with the gun (i.e iwb carry or owb) and find what fits you.
Agreed. My main criteria is to carry IWB. My logic is that I can always move to OWB more easily than the other way around with most any model I end up carrying.

#23 ·
I didn't like the egged handle of the M&P. But, that's just me.

Both the Glock and the XD have been put through the ringer and are proven.

Go with either and you can supplement it later with the subcompact version that will accept the larger version's magazines. :wave:

#26 ·
I was on a similar quest about 5 months ago. I wanted something concealable, 9mm, not to hard to shoot/learn with, and reliable. I shot a g19, a FNP9, an Berretta PX4 in 9, and then an XD9sc. I was sold on the XD the first time I shot it. It points where you look (glocks don't for me), it is easy to shoot/practice with. Fairly accurate, too. Is is the most concealable? No, but it isn't that bad. I also like that it has good capacity for the size that it is. I was sold on the extended mag, too. Although I don't practice with it that much, honestly. I've since shot the new SR9c and it is a good one too. I don't like the trigger as much, and the capacity is a little less. It is more concealable, and it's one that you can shoot all day. You're P11, PF9 and the other small, light types are not all day at the range shooters. I wanted to get something that I could shoot a lot to hone my pistol skills. Go 9mm, as it is enough for PD, and it is less expensive to shoot. And the tamer recoil makes it more capable of learning how to shoot a pistol with. My 2 bits.

Also, try to "drive" all you can. I shot all of these at my local gun club; everyone there is generally real friendly and eager to help. It's harder if it cost you a lot to test drive.

#27 ·
If being left handed is as major a factor for you as it is for me I would take a long look at the M&P and the Ruger SR9. Also you are on track thinking 9mm for your first hand gun. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Unless you can find a nice used .22 revolver. Cheaper yet to shoot and a real blast. Just some food for thought.

#29 ·
Welcome to the club! If you feel you can conceal the G21SF, and like the large frame 45acp in plastic, then I say get the Glock! Had a G21 myself for a few years...it just didn't play out like I expected it to...but that's just me. I'm all about Glock, but I have something different for 45acp..(for now). I took to a SIG P220 SAO. My heart tells me I need to get back to Glock in a 45.....it's just that I'm thinking the 45G.A.P. model might just be my best bet on it. I've had the 3rd generation G21 and G30 before. Keep in mind, it's a personal decision that only you can make. I do love the 45acp for what it is, and what it's been to me in the past. I just simply long for the feel of a 1911 in a different sort of way, and I've had a couple of those 1911s in the past as well. My best to you in your search for what's right.

#31 ·
I’d really like to learn more about the Springfield XD & XDm in compact sizes as well as the M&P9 and 9c.

^^^^^you would be well served by the M&P, full size OR compact^^^^

Welcome from Michigan!!!!

Is a gambling problem still a problem if you always win?

#33 ·
Glock!

Based on your criteria you need to seriously look at the Glock 23.

I'd recommend the Glock 27, but you say you have big hands. Without the extended magazine and sleeve you probably wouldn't like the Glock subs. For that matter most subs.

The G23 is 40 cal. a serious defensive load. As other suggests, as you go forward, add other barrells for different caliber.

Glocks are ultra reliable and their costs are very reasonable for the total firearm your getting. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars breaking it in before you can rely on it.

If you want to spend a bit more, and again I see no reason to, look at the H&K P2000 and Sig 250. The Sig is advertised as having a lot of flexibility. That is you can buy it in compact and by buying add'l barrells etc. you can convert it to full size, as well as changing caliber. I don't have one so I'm not speaking from experience, but if I was limited to one gun, my worse nightmare, I'd want something flexible.

Good luck with your search. For this 'gun nut' one gun is sacriligeous. But, hey, it's better than no gun.

#34 ·
Go and shoot each, if your local range permits renting. The one that feels best in your hand, and hits COM the most is the one. Now as far as EDC goes you will learn that some clothes, belts, etc. you already have are not very good for EDC. So you will learn to dress around the gun that best fits YOU. One that you are familiar with and shoot straight. Suggesting you something that I love and EDC, helps you none. ;-)

#40 ·
The HK P2000SK is a pretty decent comparison. Similar size, a tad heavier, strong reputation for reliability, durability. Not as strong of support in the after-market, obviously, but then nothing other than a 1911 does. It's sufficient, to find reasonable sights, holsters, threaded barrels and accessories. As with Glock, it's available in a variety of calibers and sizes. Somewhat similar "brick" (blocky) grip feel, as well, for sticklers.

And, it's on the OP's original list of candidates.

So, M590: Any decision yet?

#38 ·
You can't go wrong with the XDm (or the origional) for sure.
I have the 4.5" XDm in 9mm and other than a 1911 (which it sounds like you dont want), it is by far the best shooting gun I have had the pleasure to shoot so far. The trigger is very nice (on the m especially). It fits in the hand wonderfully. It points naturally, is very accurate and reliable, has all the right safeties, etc.
The one I have holds a whopping 19 rounds o_O
For CC I would highly suggest the 3.8" 9mm XDm. You wont be dissapointed!

also, I wouldnt worry about conversion kits. They are often almost as expensive as the gun.
A 9mm that you can carry should be your top priority. After that get a 22 to practice with, then before you know it you will have 20 more :)
You will always have someone trying to convince you to go 40 or 45. 9mm is just fine, a lot cheaper, and much nicer to learn on. I have been shooting for maybe 4 years now and still tend to just get 9s (or 22) when I buy a new gun. I'm sure ill get a 45 soon enough, but mainly just cuz I love the 1911. Personally I cant stand the way a 40 shoots, but thats just me.

#39 ·
I know it's not listed, but have you considered a CZ specifically the P-01 and/or PCR. Top Gun Supply is selling the P-01 for an incredible sale price of $460 (CZ-75 Compact P01, Fixed Sights, 9mm - Top Gun Supply).

The P-01 is a NATO certified (NATO Approval), DA/SA decocker, 14 rounder, poly-coated, steel slide/alloy frame hell of a weapon. The PCR is not NATO certified, but is similar to the P-01 just without a rail.

If you do some research, you can find all the information you could ever want about these pistols. Great weapons and everyone has heard/read about the ergonomics.

Just an FYI on the P-01 listed above, it's a contract overrun so once they're all gone, that'll be it for the price. In Europe, the P-01 is known as the CZ75 D Compact.

#41 ·
It's important to try out as many guns as you can, and buy the one that fits you the best. When I was looking for a fullsize .45ACP I tried many of the guns that have been mentioned, and found that the 4" XD most pleasing to handle and shoot -- so that's the one I bought, and have been very happy with it.

So I add my voice to those who have suggested that you try before you buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.