Rock Island Armory 1911s - Page 2

Rock Island Armory 1911s

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ScotWarrior spend just a little more and get a springfield armory mil spec instead. better metallurgy and fit and finish. we're not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    spend just a little more and get a springfield armory mil spec instead. better metallurgy and fit and finish. we're not talking about much more at all.
    Funny you say that. I saw a very nice one just yesterday. It had the "US" wood grip panels and a much more authentic parkerized looking finish. It was about $150 more, though...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    spend just a little more and get a springfield armory mil spec instead. better metallurgy and fit and finish. we're not talking about much more at all.

but you can't go wrong with RIA as a back stop.

Actually save your money and just get the RIA. Look at the comparison someone posted here. Both are great gun for the money !!!

Photo Essay: Springfield GI vs RIA Fullsize 5" (56K WARNING!) - TheHighRoad.US

I hope this helps. God Bless :)

My RIA 1911A1 GI was the first gun I bought after escaping NJ. I picked it up used with at least a 1000 rounds through it. Put several more through it since then and it keeps on ticking. The most expensive thing I've had to do it (except extra mags) was replacing springs. It is a great gun and if you are looking for a great value on a basic 1911 then you can't go wrong IMO.

Have both the compact and the full size. both are very good pistols. For the money spent it is one of the best deals out there in 1911's.

Course you could spend a little more and get a Springer ( about 25% more than the original cost of the RIA) or just get the RIA and enjoy it.

My two.

springfield armory

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Is all RIAs SA only?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The two Rocks I have owned have been VG performers especially for the money. And I own or have owned 1911's by Colt, Kimber, SA and Dan Wesson so I know these handguns pretty well. I have done alot of work on the 1911 platform over the years and nothing I see inside or outside the RIA pistols tells me they are an inferior made gun. Maybe rougher around the edges than the higher priced 1911's, but again they are very well made for their price point. Great entry level 1911.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks for all the input. I picked up the Rock 1911A1-MS today. It's the parkerized GI style with a Commander (4 inch barrel) length slide. Looks to be very well made and hand functions smoothly. I hand racked it a bunch of times with snap caps and lubed it back up. Can't wait to get it out in the desert and see how she shoots. Price was $429.

I got my RIA GI in a trade 1.5 months ago and have put 650 down range with it, No hiccups yet........

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've had my 5" RIA for about 4 years now and have about 6,000 rounds through it (about 40% Wolf) with no problems at all. It eats anything and shoots better than I can. My 4" RIA is still a work in progress.............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The RIAs are good pistols.

You will rarely find someone who has actually owned one who will bash it. Many will try to convince others that these are made in huts in the jungle. Armscor (parent company) is an ISO 9001 certified company.

I have owned Baer, Brown, and Wilson 1911s. They are all good pistols but didn't run any better than the Rock Islands. I still have one Wilson. I had a problem with one of the Baers and got "bad attitude" from the Baer CS lady. RIAs customer service is what the "better" pistol companies should try to emulate.

If you want (or need) a prettier pistol, go for it. Read threads in the various manufactuers forums on the 1911 forum. You'll find a much higher problem rate in the more expensive pistol forums than you will in the RIA forum.
    Have fun,
    Dave

Go

OK guys.......I stopped off at a brand-new gun shop that opened down here a few weeks ago. Just a look-around to get a feel for the people running it, prices, and drool at the inventory. They had a pretty big selection and the owner apologized for not having more out yet. I was looking and touching a bunch of firearms when I told him I was getting back into the 1911 fold........and he pulled out a RIA 1911 GI. $500 price tag and said this is what will do it. Carry ready AND work-up/customize ready if that's what I wanted.
    I've owned a Springer and a Series 80 Colt but that was nearly 20 years ago.
    --> Picking up and fondling it I had three things stick out.....poor sights (easily fixed), a very light trigger (too light for a 'working' sidearm IMO but again, fixed easily enough), and most disturbing, the mag didn't eject/fall/kick out.....I had to manually pull it free. I was told it'll loosen up after a 100 rounds or so. What's ya'lls take on the magizine release? Overall sounds like ya'll aprove of the RIA.

How ironic I'm thinking of picking this RIA up and here's a thread on one.....I love you people!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well, I'd try a different mag, for one, before I passed on it. It's also possible that someone overtightened the grip screws. If it's a large gun store, make them order another one in from a different store. Or maybe ask for them to take money off. Magazines dropping free is NOT a break-in item on the M1911.

I'd also be tempted to see how much under $500 you could get it for by ordering to your local FFL from Bellshire Guns on Gunbroker.

Either way, here's the deal: If there is ANYTHING wrong with your RIA (and there might be something finicky wrong with your RIA, but I wouldn't worry that much about it) you can send it to Arnel, who does their Customer Service, and he will happily and politely make it absolutely right.

The M1911 Pistols Organization

Go to the Rock Island Armory forum and check that out.

My backstory, is that I was going to play a practical joke on a friend by making a "Hello Kitty" M1911, and I found an RIA for $300 and something and was going to pimp it out and claim it was a production gun. Turns out, that I took it out to shoot, and was astounded by what a good gun it was. It now is my primary, when I'm in the US.

Some of the finicky things you might find out of the box in an RIA include a too tight extractor (a 5 minute fix using no tools) or the occasional nasty magazine. My gun was shipped with a bad magazine, but a good magazine fixed that perfectly.

Great guns. I have a RIA GI .38 Super and it's a heck of a shooter. It has run perfectly after a thorough cleaning and adding some good quality mags. The only changes I've made to it is new grips and a set of Fusion 3-dot sights.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I've had my 5" RIA for about 4 years now and have about 6,000 rounds through it (about 40% Wolf) with no problems at all. It eats anything and shoots better than I can. My 4" RIA is still a work in progress.............
    What does that last part mean? Is it not reliable and/or a good shooter?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links