Rock Island Armory 1911s - Page 4

Rock Island Armory 1911s

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased my RIA Commander .45 a year ago. The price was too good to pass up. After shooting my Glock for more than 10 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rock Island Armory 1911s

I purchased my RIA Commander .45 a year ago. The price was too good to pass up. After shooting my Glock for more than 10 years I was shocked how much better the 1911 felt to shoot for my hand. Its my daily carry weapon.

I bought a couple of RIA's a few years ago for $280 each. They are great solid guns.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    The sad part here is that if you send it back to RIA, they'd bend over backwards to make it not only right, but would probably throw in some free upgrades to boot.
    Everyone puts out a lemon occasionally but RIA will bend over backwards to make it right. And most of the time while they have the pistol do some upgrades just like mentioned, free of charge.

I'm definitely the exception rather than the rule, but I owned a 2-tone RIA Tactical full-size 1911 about 2 years ago and it wasn't reliable. Strangely, it worked fine in the beginning, but rather than "breaking in" with continued shooting, it malfunctioned more.

I was able to diagnose what I think was the problem...the swinging link on the bottom of the barrel wasn't machined properly and would not operate smoothly. In fact, it actually dragged significantly. Unlike some other 1911 owners, I don't have the patience of Job. When I pay $500 for something, I expect it to work right out of the box like my Glock or XD. So, the RIA went for a ride out the door.

A few weeks ago, I found an RIA Compact 1911 and thought it was a nice alternative to the much higher priced Kimber Ultra Carry that I want so badly. When I handled the RIA Compact, both provided magazines would stick in gun. It was so significant that I actually had difficultly ripping the mags from the pistol. It took a lot of work. Insertion was the same way. It was as if the magazines were too wide for the frame. Whatever the reason, sticking magazines is not acceptable. Lesson learned AGAIN...I passed on the RIA.

If it were me and I was looking for an economy 1911, I'd go straight for the Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Looking to pick up a Rock Island GI 1911 as a "shooter". Nothing fancy. Any thoughts for those who might own one? Worth the very low price for a 1911? I have a great 1911 IWB holster and would like to give carrying a 5"/full size 1911 a try just for the heck of it. If it prints or shows? Who cares? I'm in Arizona!
    i'm not a huge guy. i wouldn't carry a 5inch all steel 1911 all day. that's more metal than i want to lug around. several of my friends do though

I've got a RIA tacitcal; it is, to date, the best performing 1911 I've ever owned--and that includes Springfield Armory and Para-Ordnance.

I've put close to 8k rounds through it (it's not my #1 pistol...my Glocks tend to get more rounds put through them), and the only things I've done are replace the FLGR for a GI setup (no reason besides personal preference), replaced the recoil spring (for round count at 5k), and put in a titanium firing pin (because I could).

Quite bluntly-unless I was gonna spend big money on a custom 1911...I'd get another RIA in a heartbeat.

And, here's a picture of my tactical wearing what I like to refer to as the world's ugliest Pachmayrs (heck, for $5 at a gun show, how could you not buy these?!)...

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links