New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

This is a discussion on New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Kahr offsets the mag to the left, to make room for the trigger bar on the right. Looks like the back ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Kahr offsets the mag to the left, to make room for the trigger bar on the right.

Looks like the back of the cartridge case is hitting that corner of the frame, and causing wear - looking at the marks in the pic. Question - do you have brass "glitter" in the gun when you clean it?

If this is what's happening, it would explain why the pistol won't go all the way into battery.

Try taking the recoil spring out, and cycling it manually slowly, so you maybe can get a better view of what's going on during the feeding cycle.

I hope they make it right for you, but after three lemons, I'm personally done with Kahr.
    No, I wouldn't say so. After the initial break-in with my PM9 there was. But as I've already said that gun hasn't had any type of failure to date. I'll take your advice and take the recoil spring out and see if that gives me any better idea. I personally think the problems I'm having are a result of how new the gun is, but with the price and availability of ammo I don't care to be doing any type of guinea pig field testing.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    No, I wouldn't say so. After the initial break-in with my PM9 there was. But as I've already said that gun hasn't had any type of failure to date. I'll take your advice and take the recoil spring out and see if that gives me any better idea. I personally think the problems I'm having are a result of how new the gun is, but with the price and availability of ammo I don't care to be doing any type of guinea pig field testing.
    I hear you on that one. It makes no sense to me that around here .380 cost almost as much as .45acp.

Still the break-in of Kahrs is a necessary evil and it helps you get used to the trigger. I found my wife's P380 to be very accurate and I would like to eventually get one for myself.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    I hear you on that one. It makes no sense to me that around here .380 cost almost as much as .45acp.

Still the break-in of Kahrs is a necessary evil and it helps you get used to the trigger. I found my wife's P380 to be very accurate and I would like to eventually get one for myself.
    I don't mind going through the necessary rounds to ensure the pistol is reliable. But in my case, as the round count increased the gun wasn't getting any better which was a little frustrating. At any rate the gun was shipped back to Kahr this morning, so now the wait begins.

Kahr offsets the mag to the left, to make room for the trigger bar on the right..
    Um, no...they don't. The FEED RAMP is offset to the left. Look at your magwell. My magazines go "right in the middle", just like all of my other semi-autos.

Also, one thing that can REALLY help with break-in and keep the cost down is to hand cycle a bunch of snap caps as fast as you can. Do it several hundred times over an evening or two in front of the TV. I do this with every new semi-auto and then clean/lube it before the first range outing. I figure if it reliable hand cycles snap caps, then I can expect a good first range session and vice versa. To date, this thinking has never failed me...

Well, my P380 is off to Kahr. They get to evaluate the problems now. Somehow, I doubt that it'll be perfect once I get it back. I'd say it's a fair probability that we'll be going back and forth a couple more times, on this. We'll see. I've schedule my own tuning by a top gunsmithing shop to smooth out the bumps that Kahr doesn't find. I think the platform/package is worth the attempt. We'll see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Somehow, I doubt that it'll be perfect once I get it back. I'd say it's a fair probability that we'll be going back and forth a couple more times, on this.
    Eh, give 'em a chance to make it right. I had a problem with a Kimber and once they got to really sit down with it, it's been perfect ever since it came back. These things fly off the assembly line and, if it weren't for the fired and dated empty case, I would not be surprised at all if every single one wasn't test fired. Just some samples from each batch. Now that they KNOW there is a problem, hopefully they'll shoot it enough after smoothing it out, replacing parts, etc to get it right. It's not like these things are super complicated or anything...

Well, my P380 is off to Kahr. They get to evaluate the problems now. Somehow, I doubt that it'll be perfect once I get it back. I'd say it's a fair probability that we'll be going back and forth a couple more times, on this. We'll see. I've schedule my own tuning by a top gunsmithing shop to smooth out the bumps that Kahr doesn't find. I think the platform/package is worth the attempt. We'll see how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Even if it takes a couple of trips I'd give them a chance to make it right. It's a great little gun and worth the effort to make sure it's reliable.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Hopefully these guns will get a little bit more attention this time around for the both of us and leave the factory the way they were intended to. While it's not a huge burden to be without the gun, I really rather not make this a long drawn-out ordeal if it doesn't have to be. Also with the shipping being on Kahr's dime, you would think they would do everything possible to keep them from returning multiple times. But like others have said, I think it's a platform definitely worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Um, no...they don't. The FEED RAMP is offset to the left. Look at your magwell. My magazines go "right in the middle", just like all of my other semi-autos.

Also, one thing that can REALLY help with break-in and keep the cost down is to hand cycle a bunch of snap caps as fast as you can. Do it several hundred times over an evening or two in front of the TV. I do this with every new semi-auto and then clean/lube it before the first range outing. I figure if it reliable hand cycles snap caps, then I can expect a good first range session and vice versa. To date, this thinking has never failed me...
    You're probably right about the feed ramp - I was going off memory. It's been several months since I sold off my last Kahr. The main point is that there seems to be wear on that side in the OP's pics. Moot issue anyway, since he sent it back already.

Good idea about the snap caps - though I would still run the recommended number of rounds through the pistol before carrying it.

Hope Kahr fixes 'em, and gives you something for the trouble.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Good idea about the snap caps - though I would still run the recommended number of rounds through the pistol before carrying it.
    As would I, but it's a LOT more fun and satisfying to work on learning how the gun shoots instead of clearing malfunction after malfunction that the snap caps very well might have taken care of beforehand...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    Even if it takes a couple of trips I'd give them a chance to make it right. It's a great little gun and worth the effort to make sure it's reliable.
    That's the plan. Did so with the PM9, and it was made right. Worked fine, but I had had my confidence shattered in it by that point, based on the way things went and were handled. Still, there isn't anything else on the market, IMO, that touches the "package" of either the PM9 or P380. At least, not any that meet my mix of criteria. I hope Kahr can find the formula. A one-in-100 failure is almost too ugly, for a carry gun, particularly when it's clearly not caused by defective ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    Also with the shipping being on Kahr's dime, you would think they would do everything possible to keep them from returning multiple times.
    Nope. Kahr does not pick up freight back to Kahr, even for warranty items, unless something else is arranged.

Per Kahr's web site:

Contact Kahr Arms Technical Support Department to receive a Return Authorization number before shipping a firearm to the factory. You can do this by online (RA request form) or by calling 508-795-3919. PISTOLS SHIPPED TO THE FACTORY MUST BE SENT PREPAID. THE KAHR SERVICE DEPARTMENT CAN NOT ACCEPT COLLECT SHIPMENTS.
    (The highlighting is mine, in bold.)

This corresponds with the email that was sent to me, granting the RA#. Unless they approve covering the freight to Kahr, sending something in for warranty work is to have freight (in) paid by the customer.

If it turns out this P380 needs to head back to Kahr a second or subsequent time, you can bet I'll press for something else to be arranged. But, we'll cross that bridge if it comes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Just for the record, Kahr does pick up the tab if they accept it back under warranty. I'll post more later, but I just sent my P380 back too. Within 15 minutes of my call Fedex called me. The next day they picked it up at my house. This is my 4th Kahr and the first time I've had an issue so I'll wait to see how it turns out. I don't worry about how many people have trouble with a gun. They all have some problems and when they do, you hear about it on the net. I even had a Ruger SP101 lock up when it was new. We'll see.
    Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Just for the record, Kahr does pick up the tab if they accept it back under warranty. I'll post more later, but I just sent my P380 back too. Within 15 minutes of my call Fedex called me. The next day they picked it up at my house. This is my 4th Kahr and the first time I've had an issue so I'll wait to see how it turns out. I don't worry about how many people have trouble with a gun. They all have some problems and when they do, you hear about it on the net. I even had a Ruger SP101 lock up when it was new. We'll see.
    Gideon
    +1 I got my RA#, and then was told since it was still under warranty Kahr would pick up the shipping. I was provided a billing account #. I just looked up on the FEDEX website to see how much it cost for reference and it was $60, which is only 1 way. Like I said before I think they would be inclined to fix the gun properly the first go around.

VIP Member
    YIKES!!!!

My Kel tec P11( I was expecting some glitches out of the gate) has run 100% for over 500 rounds, for less than $300. I hope you guys get those pistols running good/better/100%.
    Kahr needs to work on their craftsmanship if they are going to charge a premium for their products

G = Guns | PG = Plenty of Guns | PG-13 = More than 12 guns
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Just got a phone call from Kahr, and the pistol should be here tomorrow. I was told to expect a 2 week turn around time, so I'm definitely surprised to already be getting the gun back. Hopefully the gun got some much needed TLC this time around. I can't remember what all they did off hand, but they did replace the slide. I guess it's time for another 200 round break-in.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links