New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB - Page 3

New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

This is a discussion on New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Big Larry Hopefully the gun got some much needed TLC this time around. I can't remember what all they did off hand, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    Hopefully the gun got some much needed TLC this time around. I can't remember what all they did off hand, but they did replace the slide.
    That's good news. Kahr's got my P380 now. Haven't gotten a call, yet, but it's only been one day. I'm betting a couple weeks, as well. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    G = Guns | PG = Plenty of Guns | PG-13 = More than 12 guns
    So that makes mine an R-rated type deal. I always knew it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Actually if the machine marks are running in the same direction as the cartridge travel (which they are) then that is not really a problem that would cause a FTRTB.
    Though admittedly "cosmetically" it does not look too very good.

The extractor is probably a bit too tight or a pic of the barrel chamber mouth might help since there may be a sharp edge there that is hanging up the feed.

I'd call Kahr - Request a Return Authorization RA Deck # from them and just mail the slide and barrel back to them.

They don't need the complete gun...& that way you can just U.S.P.S. Priority Mail it to them Insured & with Delivery Confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    They don't need the complete gun...& that way you can just U.S.P.S. Priority Mail it to them Insured &
    with Delivery Confirmation.
    True, and hopefully they won't send it back Fedex to one of their hubs FAR AWAY. as they did with me, when I sent just a barrel in because it was in the early recall range of serial numbers. They said it was because it was considered a "gun".

NOTE: I never had a problem with my PM9, but it was brand new so I figured I'd send the barrel in to avoid any warranty problems down the road, should I have any. Turns out all they did was polish the feed ramp and chamber because some wouldn't feed Gold Dots.

Distinguished Member
    First, good luck to you. This process can be so frustrating and it shakes confidence. I won't do my regular Kahr bashing but I will say that their customer service, in my experience, was nothing short of pathetic. They wouldn't help in shipping costs, they forced me to overnight at my own expense or said that they'd charge me $40 or not release the gun. My P40, no longer mine, they kept it for weeks and on and on. Not pretty. On return I inspected, cleaned & lubed, fired 3 successful test rounds, cleaned & lubed, traded.

My point, don't let them off the hook. We should be able to expect better out of the box. OK, sometimes that's not the case. But in my case, they treated me like the malfunctions were my concern, and perhaps my fault, and they were simply coming to my rescue. And at their leisure. Attitude and "tone" was abrupt at best. So because of "them" and the ordeal, not necessarily because of their products, I won't go back.

All that said, a friend of mine has the 40 Elite and wow....it's a fine gun. But we must have principles.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering what everyone paid for their P380's? My LGS has it for $599 and was wondering if I could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering what everyone paid for their P380's? My LGS has it for $599 and was wondering if I could do better.
    You can do better...Be aggressive in your search and you can get it for a cheaper price. I saw one go on Gun Broker for $520 yesterday.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    You can do better...Be aggressive in your search and you can get it for a cheaper price. I saw one go on Gun Broker for $520 yesterday.
    Over the past 9mos or so, prices have dropped from ~$650 to ~$550 or less. The lowest averages I've seen have been on GunBroker, recently, where many have gone for sub-$530. But then, when the flood of P380's and other 380 alternatives struck last year, the PM9's average GunBroker price dropped to the $500-$550 level regularly. Now, it's back up again, as compared to the P380. Everything changes, in time.

Me? Paid just over $600 for the P380. And if Kahr can't get the gun right after a couple of returns back to the factory, and cover the silly overnight ~$60 charges I'm forced to cough up for their warranty problems each time, this gun's going to head elsewhere too. Sad, with the package potential being so very good with the P380 (as with the PM9). We'll see. I'm open ... for awhile.

I paid $550 for my P380. It usually sells for $560-$600 in CT. The real problem is that .380ACP is still $25+ per 50 for FMJ... when available

I'd like to share my experience with Kahr..
    I purchased the MK9 right when they first came out..
    My gun has a very low serial number..

This gun would not work well enough to complete a single magazine. It would FTF and FTE about every other round.

I tried to get it to work by going through about 500 rounds and it was still the same all the way from round 1 to 500.

I finally sat down and wrote a nice letter explaining that I was planning on using the MK9 as a firearm to defend my family but with the problems that I had encountered..I could only use this gun as a doorstop..and that I would be adding Kahr to the names of people to sue in the event of my death due to the defective firearm.

They received the gun and within the day I received a call from the production manager..he would be walking my gun through himself.

The gun came back to me in two weeks and it hasn't had a problem since.

Of course this was back in the day when they first started to make that particular model..so I think they understood the need to make it right otherwise no one would want to pay that much for a doorstop.

Give them a chance to make it right and be sure to document every incidence of what went wrong and what round count..

Quote Originally Posted by Varhammer View Post
    I purchased the MK9 right when they first came out..
    My gun has a very low serial number..

This gun would not work well enough to complete a single magazine. It would FTF and FTE about every other round.
    Damn. I'd always heard how reliable the all metal Kahrs were. My PM9, the one famously known for all the "problems", has been a great and reliable pistol for me.

and that I would be adding Kahr to the names of people to sue in the event of my death due to the defective firearm.
    Back when I was going through the same kind of crap with Kel-Tec and two P3ATs, I wondered the EXACT same thing. Can the manufacturer of a defective firearm be held liable if it doesn't perform at the time of dire need? Has there ever been a case, successful or not, that has actually gone to trial or whatever? I'm talking about being seriously injured or killed (family sues) by ANOTHER attacking person(s) if the gun malfunctions, NOT the gun blowing up at the range or something...

I'd imagine it would be a VERY hard case to win. The manufacturer would claim not enough break-in. PROVE how many rounds you had through it beforehand... Improper cleaning/lubing/maintenance. When's the last time you changed that recoil or mag spring? PROVE it... Bad ammo... Poor technique... It could go on forever...

Do a fluff & buff on it before shooting. Basically accelerates break-in and smooths things out. Don't go crazy, use some high grit sandpaper and/or metal polish, and hit all the sliding surfaces you can. I do this on ALL my new guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Do a fluff & buff on it before shooting. Basically accelerates break-in and smooths things out. Don't go crazy, use some high grit sandpaper and/or metal polish, and hit all the sliding surfaces you can. I do this on ALL my new guns.
    And, lube it up good and rack the CRAP out of it as fast as you can with snap caps to simulate firing. Smooth things out and see how it feeds/ejects. Then clean/lube it well again before the first range session...

BigLarry:

Over on the KahrTalk forums, there is a thread from a few days ago regarding the P380 feed issues. In it, one of the posters shows several comparison photos focusing on the "bevel" (aka, the cutout) that your pics show as well.

Here is the thread, on KahrTalk: click.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Kahrap

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    BigLarry:

Over on the KahrTalk forums, there is a thread from a few days ago regarding the P380 feed issues. In it, one of the posters shows several comparison photos focusing on the "bevel" (aka, the cutout) that your pics show as well.

Here is the thread, on KahrTalk: click.
    Thanks for the link, I actually was just looking at that thread yesterday. I still haven't had time to go shoot the gun after I got it back from Kahr. Hopefully I will this weekend. Any update on yours?
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links