New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB - Page 4

New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

This is a discussion on New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Big Larry I still haven't had time to go shoot the gun after I got it back from Kahr. Hopefully I will ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    I still haven't had time to go shoot the gun after I got it back from Kahr. Hopefully I will this weekend. Any update on yours?
    Just got it back today. Am looking to get a bit of time either tomorrow or over the weekend, as well.

The reported changes on my P380, from Kahr:

Problem Reported:
    • Failure to feed.
    • Jams.
    • Failure to eject 2 mags.

Of course, my description was much more involved, covering many details about the nature of the cycling problems and jams.

Action Taken:
    • Replaced recoil spring.
    • Polished feed ramp.
    • Polished slide stop.
    • Polished slide.
    • Polished extractor bore.
    • Polished ejector.
    • Lubricated.
    • test-fired good.
    Basically: fresh recoil spring, and polishing.

I'm not sure how many actual cartridges were test fired, nor which brand/model of cartridge. There is no indication that any changes were made to the magazines, and the mags don't show any polishing or other changes. No parts replaced, so apparently those all showed in-spec, no adverse wear, etc.

So, we'll see how it performs at the range. It would be nice to get it to the point where it'll accept lower-cost "range" rounds, instead of only the expensive stuff. (It's a conspiracy!) Until it's flawless 99 out of 100 for many hundreds of rounds, I am not going to feel comfortable with it. It has simply been too finicky for that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

looking forward to an update from you guys!

Just got mine back from Kahr - 110 rounds, slide caught one, but could have been me... Looking good for me at this point.

Went out and shot it tonight. 220 rounds through it 50 rounds WWB 92 grain, 50 rounds WWB 95 grain, 50 rounds 92 grain Sellier & Bellot, 50 rounds Blazer 95 grain, and 20 rounds 90 grain Hornady CD. Gun functioned 100 times better than it did the first time out. I experienced 2 rounds that FTE, but believe that it was due to me and not the gun. I didn't experience any other problems with the gun at all, and can now say that I have confidence in the gun and it will now be my daily BUG. So overall I'm extremely happy with the gun as well as Kahr's customer service. Now that the gun is performing the way it should, I think my LCP will be finding a new home.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Glad to hear it is performing for you now. Did they tell you what work was performed or did I miss this in the thread somewhere. The P380 concept is a really good one and are worth working thru a few issues in my opinion. Good shooter for sure.

I paid $550 for my P380. It usually sells for $560-$600 in CT
    Paid just over $600 for the P380

OUCH!!! I got my sig P238 for 539 out the door. Much nicer pistol.

Kahr..man I want to love them, but its hit or miss with them. Buddy of mine loves his pm9, my cw 40 was so bad it was traded off after 3 trips to kahr.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    So overall I'm extremely happy with the gun as well as Kahr's customer service. Now that the gun is performing the way it should, I think my LCP will be finding a new home.
    - I would keep your LCP as you never know when you may need it. My previously flawless P380 (600+ rounds) is now having issues. I've had numerous failure to return to battery with ammunition that I've had no problem with in the past. I can hit the slide release and everything is fine, but that's not something I want to deal with if I ever need it.

I sent an email to Kahr to see how I should proceed. I'm sure they'll make everything right. The good thing is that I still have the LCP for a pocket gun in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    Glad to hear it is performing for you now. Did they tell you what work was performed or did I miss this in the thread somewhere. The P380 concept is a really good one and are worth working thru a few issues in my opinion. Good shooter for sure.
    Action taken:
    Inspected. Found slide damaged. Replaced slide, recoil spring. Polished feed ramp. Lubed test fired good.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I would keep your LCP as you never know when you may need it. My previously flawless P380 (600+ rounds) is now having issues. I've had numerous failure to return to battery with ammunition that I've had no problem with in the past. I can hit the slide release and everything is fine, but that's not something I want to deal with if I ever need it.

I sent an email to Kahr to see how I should proceed. I'm sure they'll make everything right. The good thing is that I still have the LCP for a pocket gun in the meantime.
    It sounds like what your gun is now doing is what mine did out of the box. Also this time around before I shot the gun, I didn't prep the gun at all I simply shot it the way it was sent to me from Kahr. Hopefully they can get yours fixed up, but it does seem to me that an awful lot of these P380's are making there way back to Kahr.

Sorry for your troubles, guys - but I'm unfortunately not surprised.

Given that you can buy 2 LCP's for the price of one P380 - and be 99.5% certain that it will work properly right out of the box - I'm just not seeing the fascination with the P380. Sights, trigger, and locking the slide open when empty do not trump reliability.

How many rounds will you need to fire through these finicky little pistols before you trust them? Will you EVER trust them?

I hope they end up working for you - I really do mean that. It just frosts me that Kahr continues to foist such a high percentage of poorly reliable guns on the consumer. They've been doing this for a long time, and they continue to get away with it. Maybe the only thing keeping them in business is the fact that, for now, their main competition in small, thin pistols is Kel tec and now Taurus - neither well known for reliability either.

Some day, there will be some real competition for Kahr, and they will either get their house in order, or justifiably go under.

OK - sorry - rant off.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Given that you can buy 2 LCP's for the price of one P380 - and be 99.5% certain that it will work properly right out of the box - I'm just not seeing the fascination with the P380. Sights, trigger, and locking the slide open when empty do not trump reliability.
    - I know you've had problems with 3 Kahr's in the past, but this is the first one that I've had issues with. Since my issue is a early slide locking problem, I'm not as concerned as if it was constantly jamming. I'll be more concerned if Kahr can't fix the issue.

The LCP would have been a much better pocket carry for me if it wasn't for the trigger. I absolutely hate it. It's a shame that Ruger can make such a great trigger on the LCR, but simply mimic the same poor trigger as the Kel-Tec for the LCP. I don't care about the horrific sights since I have a Crimson Trace on it.

Funny thing about triggers, grip angles, and such...folks make a big deal out of 'em, but with practice, you should be able to fire any of 'em well. I have my preference (DAO pistol), but I can fire SA, SA/DA, and DAO revolver just fine if I have to.

Reliability, on the other hand, is a must in a defensive gun. The best feeling trigger in the world doesn't mean boo if the gun won't run right.

To each his own, but reliability trumps everything else in a defensive gun. The worst thing is to have those nagging doubts in the back of your mind - kinda like the girlfriend who cheated on you back in the day...you really wanted it to work out, but...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Funny thing about triggers, grip angles, and such...folks make a big deal out of 'em, but with practice, you should be able to fire any of 'em well. I have my preference (DAO pistol), but I can fire SA, SA/DA, and DAO revolver just fine if I have to.
    - I don't have any problems with a 4" group at 25' with the LCP and Crimson Trace. But there's no doubt that's it's even easier with the P380, especially during rapid fire.

Reliability, on the other hand, is a must in a defensive gun. The best feeling trigger in the world doesn't mean boo if the gun won't run right.
    - I agree with you 100%. If Kahr is not able to fix my issue, I will without a doubt sell it. I don't expect any gun to be 100% since it's a mechanical device, but any issues I can't clear in about 1 second is bad. The reason I'm hopefully about the Kahr is that the issue is premature slide locking. My guess is that the round is engaging the slide stop early. Kahr should be able to fix that quickly. I know others have fixed this type of issue (not Kahr specifically) with a dremel.

I'm actually bothered more by the fact that the issues just started this week. My LCP had one jam on the third round, but I've ran 200+ rounds through it since then. The P380 had even more rounds through it without a problem. Prior to this week, I would have trusted the P380 more.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    My previously flawless P380 (600+ rounds) is now having issues. I've had numerous failure to return to battery with ammunition that I've had no problem with in the past. I can hit the slide release and everything is fine ...
    tokerblue:

If the chamber was accepting all rounds for the past 600, then it's certainly even more able to do so now (given the extra wear). Meaning, throating a tight chamber is almost certainly not going to fix it.

FRB at 600rds is something I'd think would fairly likely be due to:
    • Lubrication; or
    • Weak recoil springs.

Both of these are relatively simple to check.

What happened with a good cleaning and lube?

Have you tried swapping in a new pair of overlapping recoil springs?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    FRB at 600rds is something I'd think would fairly likely be due to:
    • Lubrication; or
    • Weak recoil springs.

Both of these are relatively simple to check.

What happened with a good cleaning and lube?

Have you tried swapping in a new pair of overlapping recoil springs?
    - I don't think it's lubrication. I use Gunzilla for cleaning and a light coating of Hoppes Lubrication oil. I actually cleaned it the night before I went to the range. It's possible that it's the recoil springs, but they should be good for 1200 rounds.

I'm not sure what else could cause the slide stop to engage early. I'll see what Kahr has to say during business hours.

P380 test of 36rds, after receiving back from Kahr shop

Today, I fired the P380 pistol for the first time since receiving it back from Kahr. They had it in the shop to attempt correction of bad failures to eject with occasional failures to feed (see above).

Only 36rds fired today. Six rounds from each of six different magazines. Two magazines had one type of ammo used, whereas each of the other four magazines had mixed combinations. The mixed combinations didn't seem to affect things.

• 36 rounds fired (attempted).
    • 1 FTC -- failure to chamber, failing to send cartridge up the feed ramp at all. Note that this was the very first cartridge of the very first magazine after having received the pistol back from Kahr's gunsmithing shop.
    • 2 rounds LPS -- light primer strike, causing failure to fire. This is a new issue. In 600+ rounds so far, I haven't had any light primer strikes. These two were definitely faint strikes on the primer's surface.
    • 3 FTE -- failure to extract, leaving the spent case from the prior shot halfway extracted from the chamber. Each of these occurred on the last round of the magazine, on each of three different magazines.
    • 16% failure rate -- 6 problems in 36 round attempted.

This is not nearly enough to draw any conclusions about trends, though I certainly was hoping for a bit better performance. Two-thirds of the magazines experienced a problem, and one in six rounds fired had some problem.

In the next couple of days, I'll send another couple batches of 36rds through. If the basic mix of issues and the failure rate remains much the same, I will contact Kahr again and review the situation for options. I might give it one more shot in the Kahr shop, if that's what it takes, but this P380's time in my stable is quickly running out if it's unable to cease being so problematic.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links