New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

This is a discussion on New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got this gun this past Friday, and shot it for the first time today. I was attempting to complete the 200 round break ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr P380- Numerous FTRTB

I just got this gun this past Friday, and shot it for the first time today. I was attempting to complete the 200 round break in, but only successfully shot 2 consecutive magazines in a row the whole session that did not have a FTRTB. Got home and took the pistol apart to clean it up and by the looks of things something's amiss, the breech face on my PM9 doesn't look anything like this. Guess I'll be sending it back to Kahr. Any ideas or input is appreciated.

Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

P380

Just checked mine and it looks similar . The machining marks are not as prominent on mine. But could be just the photo makes yours look deeper. I did not see anything unusual when comparing your photo to my breech face. I to had multiple failures initially. I have found my particular gun to be very ammo sensitive. It likes PMC,American Eagle, and Speer Gold Dots. Not so much Magtech,Indepenence, and some others. I have about 500 rounds thru it now and it keeps improving. Last time out it was 98% thru 150 rounds. I would also suggest you burnish and polish the rail surfaces and use a good grease there such as TW25B. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    Just checked mine and it looks similar . The machining marks are not as prominent on mine. But could be just the photo makes yours look deeper. I did not see anything unusual when comparing your photo to my breech face. I to had multiple failures initially. I have found my particular gun to be very ammo sensitive. It likes PMC,American Eagle, and Speer Gold Dots. Not so much Magtech,Indepenence, and some others. I have about 500 rounds thru it now and it keeps improving. Last time out it was 98% thru 150 rounds. I would also suggest you burnish and polish the rail surfaces and use a good grease there such as TW25B. Good luck.
    Does yours look similar to mine where my finger is pointing in the second picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
    Does yours look similar to mine where my finger is pointing in the second picture?
    Yes it does. It looks very much like yours.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If that's the quality of machining by Kahr, I'm taking that make off my list. No wonder it needs a "break in." Someone should teach them to change tool bits more regularly. Sad!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If that's the quality of machining by Kahr, I'm taking that make off my list. No wonder it needs a "break in." Someone should teach them to change tool bits more regularly. Sad!
    My PM9 looks nothing like that and has been absolutely flawless, which is why I'm concerned about this. Here's a pic of the PM9

I just got this gun this past Friday, and shot it for the first time today. I was attempting to complete the 200 round break in ...

P380 here, as well.

Keep in mind that the "200 round break-in" that Kahr suggests is, at least in my experience, woefully insufficient to properly break in a particularly stiff example of the PM pistols. I'm sure that many folks experience perfection right out of the box. I didn't on a PM9 a few years back, and I haven't so far on this P380.

The photos you show of the slide and breech area look very similar on mine. That shiny area that looks like a mouse took a nip out of the metal appears on my P380 as well. That's at least three P380's, here, where that spot looks similar.

BL, the photo you show of the PM9 is (of course) a different gun, so it's hard to compare and assume the shiny area on the P380 is a failure of the design.

Still, I agree it does look shinier, strange to have in that spot. The photo you show of the PM9 is what I'd expect.

As for the machining marks on your slide, yours are much more severe than the ones on mine, which are fairly faint. Particularly on the breech face, roughness in that area will almost certainly contribute to difficulty of inserting (feeding) rounds into the breech/extractor zone. FRB wouldn't be surprising.

I'd suggest, at least: radiusing, polishing and tuning of the extractor; a throating of the chamber; polishing of the feed ramp, throat and breech face. But that's only from what I've seen on the PM9, my P380 and a couple other tight, stiff and unpolished/untuned pistols that I have had. Kahr should also explain that shiny, "gouged-out" (looking) area.

As of today, I have a bit more than 500rds through the P380, but with ~70 failures to cycle correctly. Nearly all of these occurred within the first 400rds. Almost all were FTE, though with a couple of nose-down jams and double-feeds.

Almost exclusively, two specific types of FMJ cartridges were involved: Remington UMC "green box" L380AP FMJ .380ACP; and Federal's American Eagle AE380AP FMJ .380ACP.

The third cartridge that I've used, MagTech's FD380AP JHP 77gr .380ACP, has been nearly flawless. Without a micrometer or other gauges, I'm not quite certain what it is about this ammo that's so superior, at least from the perspective of the P380's cycling.

Am doing a lot of manual racking of the slide, at home, to help loosen things up. It's helping. Still, Kahr needs to see this one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My P380 doesn't look like that either. I would contact Kahr to see what they have to say about this. As for ammunition, I've used:

Prvi Partizan - Worked flawlessly.
    Winchester White Box FMJ, 95gr - Worked flawlessly.
    Corbon JHP - 4 FTF's in 20 rounds.
    Speer Gold Dot - Worked flawlessly.

I would take it back. The ugly machine work screams "LEMON" to me. Call it a hunch, but I have been down the road of not quite right before and it didnt end well.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    P380 here, as well.

Keep in mind that the "200 round break-in" that Kahr suggests is, at least in my experience, woefully insufficient to properly break in a particularly stiff example of the PM pistols. I'm sure that many folks experience perfection right out of the box. I didn't on a PM9 a few years back, and I haven't so far on this P380.
    I didn't necessarily expect perfection right out of the box. But I did expect a noticeable improvement as the round count increased, which didn't happen even past the 200 round count.

BL, the photo you show of the PM9 is (of course) a different gun, so it's hard to compare and assume the shiny area on the P380 is a failure of the design.

Still, I agree it does look shinier, strange to have in that spot. The photo you show of the PM9 is what I'd expect.

As for the machining marks on your slide, yours are much more severe than the ones on mine, which are fairly faint. Particularly on the breech face, roughness in that area will almost certainly contribute to difficulty of inserting (feeding) rounds into the breech/extractor zone. FRB wouldn't be surprising.
    I know the PM9 is a different gun, but I would still expect the same quality of machining to exist on both pistols. I agree with you that it's contributing to the problems I'm experiencing with the gun. As for the gauge, it looks noticeably shinier than the surrounding area which doesn't sit well with me either.

I'd suggest, at least: radiusing, polishing and tuning of the extractor; a throating of the chamber; polishing of the feed ramp, throat and breech face. But that's only from what I've seen on the PM9, my P380 and a couple other tight, stiff and unpolished/untuned pistols that I have had. Kahr should also explain that shiny, "gouged-out" (looking) area.
    I'll be leaving the work up to Kahr, so whatever they do hopefully they can resolve the problems I've been seeing. I'll keep the thread updated as to what they say for the quality of machining and the gouged out area.

As of today, I have a bit more than 500rds through the P380, but with ~70 failures to cycle correctly. Nearly all of these occurred within the first 400rds. Almost all were FTE, though with a couple of nose-down jams and double-feeds.

Almost exclusively, two specific types of FMJ cartridges were involved: Remington UMC "green box" L380AP FMJ .380ACP; and Federal's American Eagle AE380AP FMJ .380ACP.

The third cartridge that I've used, MagTech's FD380AP JHP 77gr .380ACP, has been nearly flawless. Without a micrometer or other gauges, I'm not quite certain what it is about this ammo that's so superior, at least from the perspective of the P380's cycling.

Am doing a lot of manual racking of the slide, at home, to help loosen things up. It's helping. Still, Kahr needs to see this one.
    I plan on using the gun as most do as a defensive weapon, yet can't use it for such unless it's going to function properly. Personally I love the gun and want it to work out, it's accurate, nice features, and much more shootable than my LCP. When I got my P380, I took it apart and cleaned it then manually racked the slide 150 times. As for ammo, I was using WWB 95 gr FMJ, Independence 90 gr FMJ, and Blazer Brass 95 gr, and experienced problems with all the different ammo. From the sound of things, maybe I should have held out a little longer to let Kahr work out the kinks with this gun. I know the early PM9's were known to be pains, but like I said mine has been 100% yet is a recent SN. Thanks for your input, and hopefully by the end of all this I'll have a smooth running P380.

are you using the slide release, or slingshot/hand over slide?

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    are you using the slide release, or slingshot/hand over slide?
    Honestly I don't see what difference that would make in regards to the poor quality machining that looks like someone took a scribe and etched the breech face or follow up shots that ftrtb. But fwiw per the manual the slide release is all thats been used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I would take it back. The ugly machine work screams "LEMON" to me. Call it a hunch, but I have been down the road of not quite right before and it didnt end well.
    I agree with you, but haven't heard anything bad about Kahrs recent customer service so I'm actually not too concerned about it at this point.

Personally I love the gun and want it to work out, it's accurate, nice features, and much more shootable than my LCP. When I got my P380, I took it apart and cleaned it then manually racked the slide 150 times. As for ammo, I was using WWB 95 gr FMJ, Independence 90 gr FMJ, and Blazer Brass 95 gr, and experienced problems with all the different ammo. From the sound of things, maybe I should have held out a little longer to let Kahr work out the kinks with this gun. I know the early PM9's were known to be pains, but like I said mine has been 100% yet is a recent SN.
    I am hopeful for the P380 as well, given what Kahr has learned on the PM9 project. I'll get numerous people are sending the P380 back for massaging, at Kahr.

I would also love to get a newer PM9, at some point. If they have truly worked out most of the kinks and the ones in the pipeline are now very good, a good one might be found.

The sticky thing is: with carry guns, they've got to be 100%, else you're running a huge risk of the gun failing when needed.

I agree with you, that these PM pistols are unique. It's a great package, with small size, low weight, ease of shooting, ease of use, durable parts, accurate. If only I could get them to be reliable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Kahr offsets the mag to the left, to make room for the trigger bar on the right.

Looks like the back of the cartridge case is hitting that corner of the frame, and causing wear - looking at the marks in the pic. Question - do you have brass "glitter" in the gun when you clean it?

If this is what's happening, it would explain why the pistol won't go all the way into battery.

Try taking the recoil spring out, and cycling it manually slowly, so you maybe can get a better view of what's going on during the feeding cycle.

I hope they make it right for you, but after three lemons, I'm personally done with Kahr.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links