NRA basic pistol class today: I'm officially hooked!

This is a discussion on NRA basic pistol class today: I'm officially hooked! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took the NRA basic pistol class today with my sister. We had a great time. 1/2 of the class was at the shooting range, but ...

Thread: NRA basic pistol class today: I'm officially hooked!

NRA basic pistol class today: I'm officially hooked!

Took the NRA basic pistol class today with my sister. We had a great time. 1/2 of the class was at the shooting range, but we couldn't stay the whole time because I had to take my sister to the airport to fly back to CA. However, the instructor offered to meet us at the range any time so we could make up the time we missed in the class.

We shot .22s, but I am now officially hooked. It was a lot of fun! I definitely like semi-autos more than revolvers. I found the revolvers a pain in the neck and generally did not care for them very much.

So now at least I've narrowed my choices down somewhat. Hubby thinks that I should get a .40 caliber. He's concerned about a 9mm penetrating through things like walls and going into the neighbor's property if we were in a situation where we had to shoot at an intruder.

I think that our 1st handgun will be for home defense and once I've gotten better at target practice, I'll purchase a 2nd gun which I'll use for concealed carry.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that I've definitely found a new hobby that I think I'm going to enjoy for a really long time.

My sister expressed an interest in going on a hunting trip. I don't know a thing about hunting and neither of us have ever picked up a rifle. One thing at a time!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the world of CHL/CCW... you an your group have officially gotten the bug.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Practice, Practice, Practice and it's a lot of fun along the way!
    Try the Springfield Armory XD40 SC, it a great weapon.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Great....keep it up and stay safe!!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by buggysmama View Post
    Took the NRA basic pistol class today with my sister. We had a great time. 1/2 of the class was at the shooting range, but we couldn't stay the whole time because I had to take my sister to the airport to fly back to CA. However, the instructor offered to meet us at the range any time so we could make up the time we missed in the class.

We shot .22s, but I am now officially hooked. It was a lot of fun! I definitely like semi-autos more than revolvers. I found the revolvers a pain in the neck and generally did not care for them very much.

So now at least I've narrowed my choices down somewhat. Hubby thinks that I should get a .40 caliber. He's concerned about a 9mm penetrating through things like walls and going into the neighbor's property if we were in a situation where we had to shoot at an intruder.

I think that our 1st handgun will be for home defense and once I've gotten better at target practice, I'll purchase a 2nd gun which I'll use for concealed carry.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that I've definitely found a new hobby that I think I'm going to enjoy for a really long time.

My sister expressed an interest in going on a hunting trip. I don't know a thing about hunting and neither of us have ever picked up a rifle. One thing at a time!
    Sounds great, glad you had fun!

As far as a 9 v. 40 for penetration, the 40 will actually go farther if anything. Check out The Box of Truth website for some realistic info on bullet penetration.

The fact of the matter is, pretty much anything that will do the job for defense will plow right through normal building materials. Your best bet is to get some defensive training, and stick to the gun/caliber that you can best control and put rounds on target.

That, along with some pre-event problem solving such as examining the good/bad angles of fire in your house for where you should stand make a stand, etc. will do much farther toward giving you a truthful sense of security.

It's a lot of work to be truly secure, but it can be very fun and fulfiling work, as you saw today! Enjoy the path!

Shop for a gun just like you shop for shoes. TRY 'EM ON !! Get your hands on every gun you can. You'll know when a gun "feels right" in your hands. If you buy a pair of shoes that don't feel right just because they match, you won't wear them often. Same with a gun. If it doesn't feel right, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

With training and practice, you can learn to shoot ANY caliber. It's very tough to "learn" comfort.

Caliber or who made it, count for nothing until you can put rounds on target.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

GM
    It sounds good. Glad you enjoyed it!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links