Ultimate "Pro" Gun Collecting Argument? - Page 2

Ultimate "Pro" Gun Collecting Argument?

This is a discussion on Ultimate "Pro" Gun Collecting Argument? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; <--- is very happy he's single again when it comes to topics like this. Btw, the dancing banana has been used 7 times in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate "Pro" Gun Collecting Argument?

<--- is very happy he's single again when it comes to topics like this.

Btw, the dancing banana has been used 7 times in the posts as of this one. Just one of those weird little things I notice...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Money spent on my firearms interests/hobby was always an issue with the ex-wife... she was somewhat OK with hunting since that put food on the table, but shooting for shooting's sake was not valued.

Then in a new job she made new friends, one of whom was into golf with her husband. That couple's life outside of their jobs revolved around golf... and the ex started getting curious about what these folks spent on their hobby. Country club dues, greens fees, balls, other expendables... probably close to $10K a year for the two of them. All of a sudden, $20 here or there for ammo didn't seem like such a big deal!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Agreed. We don't ask permission. But I do communicate with her, and she with me, to stay in synch on things. I'd much rather do things with her active support than with her just being passive about things.
    Oh, absolutely. That way be both don't try to buy a new toy at the same time.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    <----for Katana.

For the OP: That logic stinks and you know it. You could spend the money on heroin too I suppose, now couldn't you?

I hope you can see that my outrage is feigned.

That said, find some common ground. I don't get to make every purchase I want to, especially gun-related. Family concerns always have to be a significant part of any purchase, and there is never enough budget to go around.

That said, my strategy is to involve my wife in the planning phase. At the beginning of the year I talk with her about budget, and included in that are guns that I want to purchase that year. In 2010 for instance I wanted a pocket pistol, a 1911, and a Judge. (no flaming please...I want a Raging Judge. It's cool. Sue me.) I know what those cost, and so does she. Then I try to work them into the family budget or we discuss ways to make them happen.

When I find the right deal, I look for ways to make it palatable to her. First and foremost I try real hard not to pay retail! In these times it's almost always possible to find a smokin' deal if you're patient. (like the Kimber Pro CDP 2 I just picked up for under $800...pics coming once it gets here) When you get a great deal, that speaks to a woman! My wife loves a deal, so when I find one that helps. And I tell her seriously that because I got it at a deal and firearms hold their value and even increase in value, the purchase is not like a lot. If we need the money in a pinch I can sell the firearm easy.

Involving her in the process, being reasonable with your spending, getting a great deal, and being patient usually work for me. It might for you too.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    I'm a cigar/pipe smoker and a bit of a gun collector so I run into this issue constantly but I found a loophole you may want to use. Everytime I bring home a new toy or a $200 pipe I make sure I have a nice handbag or piece of jewlery ready, they forget all about the gun at that point.
    Yeah right! Back when I was still employed (married) I would occasionally try that approach, only to hear... 'Ok, what the hell did you buy?'
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

That question would've back fired so bad on me. I can picture my wife now...."So that's all you're interested in? Hookers & Guns?" NICE! haha

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post

I hope you can see that my outrage is feigned.
    Yep! No problems here.

... First and foremost I try real hard not to pay retail! ...When you get a great deal, that speaks to a woman! My wife loves a deal, so when I find one that helps.
    I can relate... It's like all those times the wife says she drove all over creation (100 + miles last time) looking for a sale on something, meanwhile gas prices were at an all time high. But to her, all that matters is that she got item X for 50% off plus a rebate. The sale reigns supreme.

In actuality, she is so very responsible with money that I practically have to kick her out the door with cash to buy something for herself. Then once she gets it, I have to make sure she doesn't return it for no other reason than she didn't want to spend the money. I keep telling her: "Sometimes you just need to spend a little money on yourself. It's okay to do it."

Side note: at dinner tonight she started asking me more questions about handguns and what they are like. I invited her to visit the local shop with me "just to browse" figuring she could ask some questions and fondle some hardware. Who knows where that will lead.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Take her to a range, rent a nice 9mm with some easy kick, and she will be hooked.

Two words: Zombie Plan
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm sure happy to have a loving husband who doesn't mind my addiction!
    He will let me get what I want; he just makes sure that I have thought it through first.
    <- for a diff reason than ur banana dance, but I sure am happy to be married!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

After 17 years if marriage, I don't give her any grief over her stuff and she doesn't give me any over my stuff. There's no permission on either side and no hiding of stuff either. It is what it is...and it works out pretty good.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post
    She looked at me with a puzzled look on her face for about 5 seconds and then spoke the magic words: "Guns, of course."
    It took 5 seconds for a response?.? She really put some thought into it and weighed the options. If it took that long, you could probably go either way.

I use to bore my wife to tears with all the things I would review prior to purchasing an item. She finally told me she didn't want to hear about it anymore. That was many purchases ago . . .

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

For he who has ears to hear...

<rant on - understand that this is me sharing about me, hoping others may profit: I realize that some may take issue with my words and some of you may have extenuating circumstances of which I am not aware. Some of you really have been diligent and are financially responsible, and really can afford this gig: bravo - you have my greatest respect. But most should probably consider my warnings...]

My wife is more important to me than guns. Actually, it is BECAUSE of her that I'm into guns (I want to protect her, and by staying out of sketchy situations and protecting myself, to continue to provide for her).

The most important provision I can make for her is spiritual: we both serve Christ and are working diligently to become who He wants us to be. Check.

The next most important provision I can make for her is in terms of financial security. I say 'next most' because of the guaranteed nature of the need for money. Sure, when a bad guy attacks the savings balance is irrelevant, but that *probably* won't happen. But we KNOW we need to pay the power company. We are finally out of debt and I'm really budgeting for the first time in my life. We've got the emergency fund started, and I'm working towards the 3-6 months of expenses in savings. Check.

She needs protection from the elements, so we have a house and clothing. Heck, we even have a heater and air conditioning! She can use our car instead of walking to the store, too. Or I shop for her. Check.

For protection from bad guys, we moved to the middle of nowhere from San Bernardino (=greater Los Angeles), I bought her an SP-101, and I carry whenever I can (especially whenever we're out together). Check.

Because I deserve it, I'm going to buy me a new gun this week. Joke. What I deserve is death and a just judgment after that. EVERYTHING ELSE is gravy. A new gun? Heck, I can't afford to buy the new socks I need.

I own one (count them: one) handgun, and thankful for that. That's going to be what I carry until I can say to my dear wife, "Look, we have our debts paid, our bills and operating expenses budgeted and funded, six months in savings, and $1000 on the table here. How 'bout we celebrate? We've ACTUALLY EARNED IT!" I mean, "EARNED THE DOUGH" instead of doing what I've done all my life: borrowed it or stole it from where it should have gone. She gets to buy the Jersey/Holstein heifer she wants and I get to buy the XD (or whatever is available in 2023).

Permission? I've played that game. I was failing to lead, and it became, "whatever I can talk her into is OK". I'm a fast talker, so the family ship was careening towards the rocks. Bad move.

Nowadays, even though it is less comfortable in the short term, I choose to live in the real world: I need to wear my big boy pants and do what needs to be done FIRST before the non-essentials.

Readers: if you're single and would enjoy being married remember that a wife will want a zero VISA balance and a significant savings balance. Start now: it's easier than playing catch-up. Married and want to stay that way? Show some testosterone and do the right thing: sell the boat, pay off VISA, save, then you can legitimately fund your hobby. Visit Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com for help on how to do this. Profit from my scars: I've been married for 22 years now, and am only now approaching the point I feel I should have been at (financially/spiritually/responsibility-wise) before popping the question.

And, yes, there's a point at which one says, "Sure we need to save... but you need a firearm in the house when I'm at work" or "I deliver pizzas and probably need to carry SOMETHING". I would encourage meeting your other responsibilities before buying the new Wilson Combat 1911: rather, an inexpensive used weapon may be more in keeping with your current station in life. Or a Hi-Point: I would consider it a badge of honor to have an inexpensive-but-reliable, ugly and disrespected firearm if that was appropriate based on my financial situation.

<rant off - thanks for reading, and I've done my best to write for you the best I have to offer (I wish you well)>
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post

I use to bore my wife to tears with all the things I would review prior to purchasing an item. She finally told me she didn't want to hear about it anymore. That was many purchases ago . . .
    Me too. My "research projects" run for months at a time, and she's in the loop the whole way (except for the first "idea" phase of the project) and she just looks at me with that knowing grin on her face. You know, the one that says: "Poor man, why do you think I'm even remotely interested in hearing about this latest detail yet again? So I'll just smile at you until you stop talking."

Yup, she's a lot of fun and keeps me on my toes. Don't know what I'd do without her!

@Paymeister -
    Thanks for your words. I feel the same way. It's work alright, but totally worth it!
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

I have bought and sold my share of guns. I explain that compared to buying cars or even investing in the stock market, guns are probably a better investment. Almost every firearm I have has increased in value since they were purchased.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links