Ultimate "Pro" Gun Collecting Argument?

This is a discussion on Ultimate "Pro" Gun Collecting Argument? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, like many folks this last year or two, money is tight and budgets are strained. Adding a new firearm can be a challenge to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, like many folks this last year or two, money is tight and budgets are strained. Adding a new firearm can be a challenge to say the least. This is even more difficult when it needs to be explained/justified to your spouse/significant other who may not be as enthusiastic about firearms as you are.

Such is my situation. My new-found desire to own and carry a handgun is understood by my wife, but just because she understands it doesn't mean I get a free pass to actually make a firearms purchase, as well as spend money on training, ammo, holster(s), and any other needed accessories/mods.

But, I do believe that I've stumbled on a very effective way to get that much sought after purchase approval. Last night my wife and I were watching a TV show and the subject on the show covered a man who spent his money on prostitutes. His wife knew about it and had no issue with it. Hmmph... go figure that.

Anyway, long story short, I turned to my wife and said: "Honey, would you rather I spend my money on prostitutes/other women, or on guns?"

She looked at me with a puzzled look on her face for about 5 seconds and then spoke the magic words: "Guns, of course."

Eureka!

So now I continue my search for my first carry gun, secure in the knowledge that after a purchase, if she's a little upset, I can always fall back on: "Well honey, you said you'd rather have me spend my money on guns instead of prostitutes."

Ahh... it's good to be the king.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

VIP Member
    Funny story, but I bet your wife will find a way to shame you into submission... They are very good at that!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Funny story, but I bet your wife will find a way to shame you into submission... They are very good at that!
    Yes, that is often true unfortunately. There is a bright side to her though... she's been asking me questions about CC. Yesterday she asked how it is affected when traveling to other states. I thought that was an intriguing and rather "advanced" question for her to ask. Looks like that light at the end of the tunnel may not be a train after all.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

VIP Member
    I learned a LONG time ago, you can't win an arguement with a woman. Just because she would rather you spend the money on a gun instead of a prostitute, doesn't mean you can spend it on a gun!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You need to continue to bolster her energy towards cc of her own. Then pick out your weapon and mention to her that they are having a special HIS & HERS SALE at the gun store and ask her what type of weapon she had in mind?

I guess I am not typical, but over the 43 years we have been married, I don't remember asking permission from my wife to buy anything (guns, radios, cameras) - or her asking my permission for her purchases.

As long as there are sufficient funds to pay the monthly bills, neither one of us has felt the need for the other's permission to spend money.

For those whose wives wear the pants in the family and control the money, you have my deep sympathy.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'm a cigar/pipe smoker and a bit of a gun collector so I run into this issue constantly but I found a loophole you may want to use. Everytime I bring home a new toy or a $200 pipe I make sure I have a nice handbag or piece of jewlery ready, they forget all about the gun at that point.

a $200 pipe?

I thought my shooting hobby was expensive... your's is just going up in smoke!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Request a Harley Davidson catalog in the mail...genuinely ask interested. She'll beg you to get a gun since that'll be cheap compared to a $20K Harley. :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

i get my wife to approve of my purchases just by watching the news and saying "thats why i carry a gun" after we see a story about someone that was robbed or assaulted and had no way to defend themselves. When i first bought my G19 she said that i "wasnt allowed" to CC. now she makes sure i am CCing whenever we leave the house. she is also starting to think about CCing as well when she turns 21.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

I used to do gun shows here in SE MI. When I'd hear a wife or girlfriend tell her man "C'mon...you already have enough guns" I'd say to him "Tell her she already has enough shoes" Always wondered how many fights that started on their way home?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Make sacrifices

I think the best way to do so is to make a sacrifice of some sort and budget. It's probably not wise to go out tomorrow and get one especially if you don't have the funds, but save up day by day. I got myself a new HK USP compact about a year ago - and to fund it I gave up one of my hobbies (at least for now, but likely for a long time) which was RC airplanes. I have MANY other hobbies of which my wife likes to give me a lot of grief about, and I hadn't had the time or money to devote to my RC airplane hobby in a long time either. ( I won't even start with my automotive tinkering, mtn. biking, and skiing hobbies etc. etc! ) Anyhow I was in the middle of a project that has been taking me years, which would have required even more money to finish the way I wanted it - and I figured it was only selfish to indulge all of my hobbies at once and not engage any one of them to the potential I really wanted. So I sold all my RC equipment to partially fund my purchase, worked extra hours and a few months later had the money for the gun I wanted. My wife still hasn't gotten very warm to guns but I've been a hunter and gun enthusiast all my life so she's resigned to that - hopefully with time she'll get into it more or accept it more, but thankfully she lets me do as I please - and I remember to keep her interests and needs in mind also. Now I'm hoping to get a 1911 but I realize that I'll have to save small amounts monthly and in a year or two be able to afford the 1911 I really want - and when I do I can feel good about it. Without shortchanging my spouse, budget, or family. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

edit: btw my strategy isn't always flawless but I've been happily married for almost 8 years now! My family will be getting bigger come thanksgiving time too so now I'll have that to think about!

Now for both of us... Queue tom petty and "oh the waiting is the hardest part!"

Quote Originally Posted by archer51
    I learned a LONG time ago, you can't win an arguement with a woman. Just because she would rather you spend the money on a gun instead of a prostitute, doesn't mean you can spend it on a gun!
    Amen! It's the classic "no win" scenario. But it sure was fun to see that look on her face!

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk
    I guess I am not typical, but over the 43 years we have been married, I don't remember asking permission from my wife to buy anything (guns, radios, cameras) - or her asking my permission for her purchases.

As long as there are sufficient funds to pay the monthly bills, neither one of us has felt the need for the other's permission to spend money.
    Agreed. We don't ask permission. But I do communicate with her, and she with me, to stay in synch on things. I'd much rather do things with her active support than with her just being passive about things.

As Hiram25 brought out already, it's always a good idea to nurture ANY interest she displays in firearms, no matter how small or innocent it may seem. So that's what I've been trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JLUSAF
    i get my wife to approve of my purchases just by watching the news and saying "thats why i carry a gun" after we see a story about someone that was robbed or assaulted and had no way to defend themselves.
    +1 to that. Actually, I'm just getting my family indoctrinated to the whole concept of armed HD and SD. It's only been a few months, but things are moving in the right direction. CCW is my latest step and so far she is fine with things. She understands my reasons, and more importantly agrees with them, even to the point that she's been explaining to other family members why I have been pursuing this course. She's actually become a advocate to some degree. I am happy about that. She's the best, no doubt about it. I may be the King but she's my Queen.

Interesting topic. Being single don't have those worries yet. I saw a sign on a counter of a gun shop I frequent. It says, "Your wife just called. She said you could buy whatever you want" That makes me smile every time I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Interesting topic. Being single don't have those worries yet. I saw a sign on a counter of a gun shop I frequent. It says, "Your wife just called. She said you could buy whatever you want" That makes me smile every time I see it.
    Now whomever owns that shop has either learned the lessons already, is a very smart & savvy salesperson, or more likely... BOTH!

Thanks for the laugh, pretty sure I'll be thinking about that one for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links