G 19 vs. G26 grip size question

This is a discussion on G 19 vs. G26 grip size question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to everyone on this forum. I'm thinking of making the leap into the "Glock-Koolaid" and buy one for EDC-CCW. Nothing is final about my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G 19 vs. G26 grip size question

Hello to everyone on this forum. I'm thinking of making the leap into the "Glock-Koolaid" and buy one for EDC-CCW. Nothing is final about my choices but I did have a question: I understand that the length/height of the G26 grip is smaller/shorter vs G19. But it sure looks like it's also wider/fatter... or is that an optical-illusion? I do not have the change to compare them side-by-side so any input would be great.
    Thanks
    Steve

Same grip width. it probably just looks like that because its shorter. When i first bought my G19 i was torn between it and the G26, but ended up deciding on the G19.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Believe it or not, the glock 19 is almost the same size (grip and width wise) as the Springfield XD subcompact! My dad didn't believe me, and to be honest, I didn't believe the numbers either. When you place them together, the floorplate of the Glocks magazine (maybe 1/4") is the difference! The Glock is longer, but not much. So for those who are concerned about the grip length, the glock is ALMOST the same size as the springfield XD subcompact and you can get all your fingers on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLUSAF View Post
    Same grip width. it probably just looks like that because its shorter. When i first bought my G19 i was torn between it and the G26, but ended up deciding on the G19.
    I rented a G 26 at the range and put 50 rounds through it. I didn't really like the grip/size/angle?... or it was the fact that I had just put 100 rounds through my Browning H-P. I also had a chance to fire a G23 with a 9mm conversion barrel... like that a lot better. Maybe it's the added length that feels better.
    If the grip it the same width then I could go with the G26 and add a larger mag....hhmm
    Thanks
    Steve

All the specs beside length, height, and weight are the same. Width is the same, distance from backstrap to trigger is the same. You can't go wrong with either gun. I have a G26 for carry and a G17 for home defense. A good friend has a G19 & G23. All the guns can share holsters. One thing to think about is that if you get a G26, you can always use a G19 or G17 mag with a grip sleeve on it to simulate the grip length of the larger gun.

The 26 is a fine weapon and can be hiddeen easily. With a grip extention, all of your fingers have a home and you up your capacity to 12 in the mag. With the standard 10 round mag, it can be pocket carried. I really like my 26 and have no ambition to replace it with a 19. The 26 grip can be made larger, but the 19 grip cant be made shorter...
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    All the specs beside length, height, and weight are the same. Width is the same, distance from backstrap to trigger is the same. You can't go wrong with either gun. I have a G26 for carry and a G17 for home defense. A good friend has a G19 & G23. All the guns can share holsters. One thing to think about is that if you get a G26, you can always use a G19 or G17 mag with a grip sleeve on it to simulate the grip length of the larger gun.
    Thanks...Great Info !!

Quote Originally Posted by tex4711 View Post
    Hello to everyone on this forum. I'm thinking of making the leap into the "Glock-Koolaid" and buy one for EDC-CCW. Nothing is final about my choices but I did have a question: I understand that the length/height of the G26 grip is smaller/shorter vs G19. But it sure looks like it's also wider/fatter... or is that an optical-illusion? I do not have the change to compare them side-by-side so any input would be great.
    Thanks
    Steve
    You are correct..the length of the grip on a G19 is longer than the G26, allowing you to get a full finger grip on the G19 vs. a three finger grip on the G26 with the little finger normally going under the base of the grip unless you have some type of mag extension.

As for the grip being wider/fatter...NOT SO...You are using a double stack magazine. The thickness is the same. You do have additional rounds with the G19 mag vs the G26 mag.

I personally carry the G26 WITHOUT any type of extension. I have grown accustomed to my pinkie going under the base of the grip. It has presented absolutely no problems with control whatsoever.

I encourage you to hold and hopefully shoot both before you make your decision. I have shot both extensively. They shoot virtually identical in my opinion. Both are easily concealable.

Good luck in your choice. BOTH are excellent weapons.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Dont worry about it. Once you jump into the "Glock Kool-Aid" youll have them both eventually.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Dont worry about it. Once you jump into the "Glock Kool-Aid" youll have them both eventually.
    .....funny you should say that. I'm already "planning" my next purchase : G30SF or G36
    Thanks
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    once a grip extension is put onto a 26 the grip is identical to the 19....i have one mag with a pierce extension on it and the two are identical in grip size and length in that configuration...just a shorter barrel/slide at that point...it also makes the gun about the same to conceal...so think about that before you jump in with a 26 and then put an extension on it for grip and round count...i carry the 26 with a stock mag when i'm looking for conceal-ability and a spare mag from my 19 or the extended mag as a spare...the gun is very controllable with a stock mag and its just about your comfort with a free pinky at that point...the slide length doesnt really make a difference to me as i conceal iwb anyway....usually in the same holster as a half inch doesnt really make me uncomfortable....

the 26 is a 19 with the slide and grip cut shorter...thats all...the shortness just makes em look fatter...

G19 & G26 with Glock +2 extension

G17, G19, G26

G19 & G26

My first Glock was a 19. Several years later, I switched police depts and had to get a 17. Both great weapons, but the dept would not let me carry the 19 off-duty. So I had to get a 26. I did not like the way it shot compared to my 19 and 17. All that it took was a little practice and I became proficient with it.

My current dept issued 23s. So I picked up a 27 for off-duty carry back in 03. With the stock 9 round magazine, I can fire the 27 very quickly and accurately.

The 19 and 26 are both excellent weapons. But the 26 will be easier to conceal and can shoot very accurately out to distances further than you will be shooting in SD.

Get the 26 and practice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Why not get a 19 and a 26.

I carry the 19 IWB and the 26 in the support side pocket.

Biker

VIP Member
    I have a 19 and a 26. The 19 stays on my nightstand and I carry the 26. Well, that's when I'm not carrying a chunk of shiny steel with 357 roll marked on the stubby barrel. I'm going through an 'old school' period, what can I say...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links