I love free stuff.

I love free stuff.

This is a discussion on I love free stuff. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was over at my parents house today, had nothing much to do so I just spent the day over there being a typical son ...

Thread: I love free stuff.

I love free stuff.

I was over at my parents house today, had nothing much to do so I just spent the day over there being a typical son (mowing the lawn, helping out in the garden, mooching a free lunch...lol.)

Well, at one point while I was being lazy, I asked my dad if he'd ever given much thought to getting his HCP again.

"No. I don't need it anymore."

"Well, we both know that's , but I ain't gonna push it. You watch the news, you know probably better than I do that bad things can happen at anytime. Anyway, the reason I was asking was because I wanted to know if you had any problems with me borrowing that little snubnose you used to carry?"

"Yeah, sure, you can use it."

"Ok, thanks."

So, I got myself a little Rossi M58 snubnose revolver today.

Anyone familiar with these little guns? It's a .38 special, 5 shot, with a 2" barrel. Are these guns rated for +p rounds? Also, since this is my first snubnose, what kind of ammo is preferred for such a short barrel? (Hollowpoint, FMJ, Semi-wadcutter, etc... & what is a good bullet weight to use?)

(A little background: This is not his only gun. I just gave him a basically brand new Para USA GI Expert a few months ago, as well as the Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 special he's had my whole life, so I didn't take his only home defense weapons.

I do wish he'd start carrying again, but trying to talk a 70 year old man into changing his lifestyle is like pounding on a brick wall with your hands and expecting it to fall over. It's going to take a lot more than what I've got to make it happen.)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Rossis are not known for having the tightest quality specs, but things got better once Taurus bought them out. I'd run 100 rounds thru the gun to give some confidence that the cylinder keeps turning, etc.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Yeah, I'm going to put 2 100 round boxes of WWB 158 grain fmj's through it next weekend. Bought those at walmart tonight while I was on my to work.
    If everything goes smoothly, I'll go buy myself a pocket holster and some speedstrips or speedloaders so I can start carrying it as my summertime carry and as a BUG the rest of the year.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Katana, ask your dad what he would do if he was with your Mom and she needed protection "RIGHT NOW"? This may bring him back around on the cc issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Katana, ask your dad what he would do if he was with your Mom and she needed protection "RIGHT NOW"? This may bring him back around on the cc issue.
    No, it won't. I've tried most everything already. Everytime I try to bring it back up, he tells me to drop it or changes the subject. In his mind, since he's no longer a bank manager, and no longer deals with carrying large sums of cash, he believes the only reason he needs firearms anymore is for the home.

I just hope he's right. But there is nothing I can do to convince him. It's just going to take something happening to him or my mom outside of the home to bring him back to the CCW side. I do take comfort in the fact he at least still sees firearms as necessary for home defense, so if something does happen there, he's at least got a chance.

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I carried a little Rossi as a field gun for a couple of years and it was fine for that purpose...mainly a snake gun (kept the first two rounds as shot shells, followed bu three jhp's) and last resort varmint gun. The only problem I had was rust...my job causes me to sweat a lot in the summer, get wet when it rains. dirty/dusty when it's dry. I had to tend to the Rossi almost nightly....after two different Rossi's and a WWII vintage S&W M&P (originally chambered for the British military in .38 S&W, later "factory reconditioned for the longer .38 spl), I gave up on blued revo's for my daily field carry and started using a much less attention demanding S&W Airweight.

As for +P ammo in the little Rossi.... if it's not stamped "+P" on the barrel, don't shoot it. The Rossi's are pretty light framed, and just may not be able to handle a steady diet of the hot stuff.

surv

eta: I think my former Rossi snub was an M68

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    No, it won't. I've tried most everything already. Everytime I try to bring it back up, he tells me to drop it or changes the subject. In his mind, since he's no longer a bank manager, and no longer deals with carrying large sums of cash, he believes the only reason he needs firearms anymore is for the home.

I just hope he's right. But there is nothing I can do to convince him. It's just going to take something happening to him or my mom outside of the home to bring him back to the CCW side. I do take comfort in the fact he at least still sees firearms as necessary for home defense, so if something does happen there, he's at least got a chance.
    Maybe he doesn't need to be "convinced". It is an individuals choice to carry or not (given that is legal to do so). Maybe he had an experience that you are unaware of that changed his mind. Some of you out there will know what I mean. Maybe he doesn't feel that at his age he would be as safe as he needs to be. There could be lots of maybes. I know quite a few people, both young and old(er) that refuse to drive...scared or something, I don't know. What I do know is that if you force (encourage/convince) them to drive, they make one H&#L of a scary driver. If he doesn't want to CC, nobody should try to tell him any different. It's not like he is a teenager who thinks he knows everything and you are trying to set him straight. He knows what he wants and that should be respected.
    Just my opinion.
    Meanwhile, congrats on the new pistol. Enjoy it!

Ceapea

P.S.
    Here in Michigan, I'm pretty sure that one cannot carry concealed a pistol that is not registered to them. You might want to check that out. It would be a shame if both you and your dad lost that gun due to illegal carry practices (if it is illegal in you state). I am assuming that you intend to carry it, but it may even be illegal to possess (not just carry) the gun if it is not registered to you. I believe that this is the case here in Mi.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Ammo wise...look to Speer Gold Dots in their Short Barrel format. They really work well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    P.S.
    Here in Michigan, I'm pretty sure that one cannot carry concealed a pistol that is not registered to them. You might want to check that out. It would be a shame if both you and your dad lost that gun due to illegal carry practices (if it is illegal in you state). I am assuming that you intend to carry it, but it may even be illegal to possess (not just carry) the gun if it is not registered to you. I believe that this is the case here in Mi.
    Tennessee is a "qualify with anything, carry anything you legally own" state. There is NO firearm registration of any kind here.

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    P.S.
    Here in Michigan, I'm pretty sure that one cannot carry concealed a pistol that is not registered to them.
    In Michigan, if you have a concealed pistols license, you can carry anyone's pistol, not just family. The law states that you can take posession of the gun, but does not state for how long. I carry my wife's gun once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Tennessee is a "qualify with anything, carry anything you legally own" state. There is NO firearm registration of any kind here.
    Well, that's cool! More states should have laws like that.
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    In Michigan, if you have a concealed pistols license, you can carry anyone's pistol, not just family. The law states that you can take posession of the gun, but does not state for how long. I carry my wife's gun once in a while.
    I wasn't sure. When you read through the actual Michigan State Police firearms laws, there are what seems to be quite a few contradictions. For example; look at the pistol free zones...

Pistol Free Areas

Individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol by Michigan or another state are prohibited from carrying a concealed pistol on the following premises:

1. Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian

"Premises" does not include the parking areas of the places listed above in 1 through 8.

I omitted #'s 2-9.
    Tell me, can you have a pistol in the parking lot if you are not a parent? I always thought that the parking lot was school property.

As boring as it is, I have read many of the actual laws and let me tell you, you may not get the real answer until you are in front of a jury.
    There is no answer spelled out as to weather you can carry on a boat or not. I have contacted the marine division of the sheriffs office and they said it's OK. The DNR and Coast Guard say no! The MSP laws don't say either way.
    So, as far as carrying a gun registered to someone else gun...not for me. The laws are just too vague.
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

I had a Rossi about 36 years ago. It was a 5 shot 38, Nic. plated, with a 4 inch barrel. It had target sights and came with two sets of grips....one for target and the other for carry. I had no problems with it, but I didn't fire it much and I didn't keep it but a couple of years.

Sponsored Links