brand reliability/trust/quality - Page 2

brand reliability/trust/quality

This is a discussion on brand reliability/trust/quality within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting read...if it's mechanical, it can fail....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: brand reliability/trust/quality

Interesting read...if it's mechanical, it can fail.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Interesting article. I found this part very intersting :

"The number of inferior guns goes way up. Duh! But gun companies are ok with that, because so few handguns ever see 10,000 or even 1,000 rounds of use."

It doesn't suprise me that a lot of guns wont ever have 10000 rounds through them but I kind of figured most guns would have 1000 rounds through them.
    unlike people who really like guns and the "shooting sports" MANY people just get a gun to have it..especially a SD/HD gun they may run a box of rounds through it every YEAR or so...so to get to 1,000 rounds a box of 50 a year at a time...it takes a while...a buddy of mine has a Sig p220(i think thats the gun) and he is a avid hunter but just has 1 pistol and has it just to have it he shoots it about 1 time a year and puts a box through it and then puts it away again. I think there are a LOT of people like him.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    unlike people who really like guns and the "shooting sports" MANY people just get a gun to have it..especially a SD/HD gun they may run a box of rounds through it every YEAR or so...so to get to 1,000 rounds a box of 50 a year at a time...it takes a while...a buddy of mine has a Sig p220(i think thats the gun) and he is a avid hunter but just has 1 pistol and has it just to have it he shoots it about 1 time a year and puts a box through it and then puts it away again. I think there are a LOT of people like him.
    ^^This is correct^^

IMO, and IME of course... Plenty of folks simply buy a handgun and shoot it a couple times a year (if that)...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Any pistol CAN fail, not all pistols DO fail.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    Not disputing anyone else's comments just reporting my experience.
    I guess it depends on when you call or who you speak to. Found the thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-1-taurus.html

Enjoyed reading the thread, wife and I both CC Kel Tec P3ATs with well over 500 rounds through each and no problems at all.

Some folks just can not stand one brand or another only to find out that any company can make a lemon.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

GM
    Did the article say something new?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Did the article say something new?
    Nothing we shouldn't already know.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Very interesting read. I had an experience recently where I ordered a conversion kit from Sig for my 250, and when I asked why it takes 6 weeks, after all, they are the manufacturer, the reply was: "we don't make these things in house, we have vendors for many different parts".

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

The result is, throughout the industry, reduced attention to quality.

Both companies I worked for, when I started, had a strict policy of test-firing every single pistol that left the factory floor. Each gun was subjected to two or three full magazines of shooting before it was given the stamp of approval.

By the time I left each job, both companies had stopped test-firing pistols destined for the commercial (non-law enforcement, non-military) markets … and in some cases, they stopped testing the LE guns, as well.
    Good example of inattention to quality, lack of concern about the long-term brand impact, and an utterly shameful exhibit of gross disregard for life in the case of defensive firearms. We're seeing such things throughout our want-it-now-but-it-better-be-free type society.

It'll have the obvious and predictable result. No way around it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    That was a really interesting article. I have been thinking of trading or selling an XD9sc and buying a new G19. That article has me rethinking this deal.
    Never, EVER sell a pistol you like and is RELIABLE to fund something else. Always find a way to keep it and add what you want later. I have an old 2nd gen G19 that I bought new in 1994. It's ugly, doesn't fit my hand all that great and I'm less accurate with it than a lot of my other hand guns. I've thought about trading it in over the years (especially when the 1911 bug hit), but I never did and I'm very glad I didn't. That gun just plain WORKS and, of all the choices I have, it would be THE one I'd take into combat over all the others if I could only take one.

Good read,.....anything that is mechanical can fail. a good friend of mine just bought a Rossi snubby 357....970 I think, not sure on the model. Him and I shot it for the first time, it was new......shot 100 rounds, seemed ok, I noticed the cylinder was stiff in rotating a couple of times. When he cleaned it, it wouldnt shut (cylinder)...he was concerned he did something wrong, brought it to work with him, I looked it over, couldnt shut it either and could not see any issues where it was hanging up.

Odd, but he called Rossi and they gave him the fed-ex info to have it picked up. Here is where it bothered me. I pushed him in this direction based on his price point and the fact that it was a bit bigger and more comfy as it is a snubby 357 and gave him that round flexability. It took them 6 weeks (I have to believe that is a combination of the number of repairs and/or the amount of resources in the repair dept...either way, not a good sign)....they had to replace the cylinder crane and extractor...said it was bent. How did that get past quality control? Yes it seemed to function "ok" for us with the 38 wadcutters and a bit of +p factory ammo, and they said it was nothing we did (duh!) but is this really acceptable on a new gun and from a "gun" manufacturer (consider the use of the item you are building!).

So needless to say that although I know anything can and may fail, I am going with first tier manufacturers from now on (yes, they can have issues from time to time but less likely from the quality systems they have in place). Darn it too because I like the looks of some of the Rossi lever actions.....and the Taurus pocket 9's........etc....etc...
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Interesting article. I found this part very intersting :

"The number of inferior guns goes way up. Duh! But gun companies are ok with that, because so few handguns ever see 10,000 or even 1,000 rounds of use."

It doesn't suprise me that a lot of guns wont ever have 10000 rounds through them but I kind of figured most guns would have 1000 rounds through them.

I find what was written to be true. As someone else mentioned, not everyone shoots regularly. I bought my Dad an M&P9c and my younger brother went with me to put in the first 100 rounds. Before we went, I mentioned I wanted to put at least 300 rounds downrange to make sure it was functioning properly and his comment was "Whoa!". He thought THAT was a lot. My Dad has two revolvers that he's had for years and I'd honestly be surprised if they have 50 rounds between the two of them.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i'll say the same thing i tell my automobile customers to try to make them understand why a part failed on their car...

every part on a car fails...it just doesnt happen on every car...

and

the response to "i never had this problem with my chevy" is.....have you had any problems with your chevy that you havent had with this car? (usually followed by "yes" and my follow-up being...well then you better call chevy and complain then...

people tend to treat a problem they have as something worse than anyone else has ever experienced because it affected them and generally thats the only person they really care about...

thanks for the great taurus mag shipping example...maybe how it was handled by the 2 different parties was the difference between the 2 experiences...i find it happens more often than not that way...there are people who approach problems with realistic expectations and courtesy...then there are people who approach problems with demands...

VIP Member
    In 35+ years of shooting I never had a failure with a revolver but I can’t say that with a couple of auto-loaders I’ve owned along the way. Just dumb luck I suppose…
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links