brand reliability/trust/quality

This is a discussion on brand reliability/trust/quality within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if anyone has seen/read this article dealing with brand quality, but it's an interesting read. I know there are those that have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: brand reliability/trust/quality

I don't know if anyone has seen/read this article dealing with brand quality, but it's an interesting read. I know there are those that have pride in a purchase or feel that their weapon couldn't possibly be included in what the article discusses because of how much they paid but it's still a possibility.

Opinions . . .

pistol-training.com Trust No One: an insider’s perspective

Just as an FYI, the two companies this person worked for were Beretta and Sig. If anyone has read/kept up with the Sig forum, you'd probably find what the author writes about to be believable.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Like many have said on here before, guns are mechanical devices and they all are subject to mechanical failures...regardless of the name on the side.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Excellent read, especially for those who think their gun make is the only one to have.

Like I've said before no one makes the perfect gun for everyone; they all have shortcomings.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Indeed interesting! Thanks for posting. I personally have always been at least a little amused by folks touting the reliability of their chosen CCW after putting x number of rounds down range when the truth is the firearm could break with the very next pull of the trigger.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Interesting article. I found this part very intersting :

"The number of inferior guns goes way up. Duh! But gun companies are ok with that, because so few handguns ever see 10,000 or even 1,000 rounds of use."

It doesn't suprise me that a lot of guns wont ever have 10000 rounds through them but I kind of figured most guns would have 1000 rounds through them.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Good read. Thanks for posting.
    NRA Life Member

Couldn't agree more, thanks for posting that!

Good article.... Todd knows his stuff - Last I read from him online was his "30,000 rounds in 6 months" test of the H&K P30 (prior to that, he did a similar test w/ the S&W M&P series, IIRC). He was always very forthright and unbiased in his reporting of what he experienced, from all that I ever read...

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    What I look for is the amount of problems, along with the company's solution.

For ex: Taurus

I've seen plenty of threads with people complaining about issues their Taurus gun has had. More than say, Glock pistols.

But for me, the huge issue is the how they are willing to fix it. A member here had a brand new magazine not work straight from the box. Taurus wanted him to pay to ship it to them, so they can replace it. For me, that's not what I want from a company. I want them to be so ashamed that they didn't have something work STRAIGHT from the box, that they offered to pay shipping (both ways) as well as replace it. Heck, an extra magazine or little freebie wouldn't hurt, but it's not expected.

Firearms ARE machines, which will always have a failure risk, but the % of the risk as well as the company's customer service is what matters to me.

Even though no firearm is perfect and 100% immune to problems, they are not all created equally either. Is a Raven .25 auto and a Ruger LCP comparable? No! Is the Glock 19 and the Hi-Point C9 in the same camp? Of course not. You get what you pay for and you best test it yourself with about 500 rounds at the range. You and the gun need to get to know eachother anyway, respect and trust are earned not given... right?
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Tried and True

That was a really interesting article. I have been thinking of trading or selling an XD9sc and buying a new G19. That article has me rethinking this deal. Because the pistols I currently use have 400 or more rounds down range. I think if I add a new pistol to the mix I will keep the ones I am using from the current inventory. Thanks for posting the article.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I had a big long reply about the junk we make in this country and the junk we buy from overseas, but I remembered this is a gun forum.

So the only comment I'll make is about Taurus. I too had a bad mag out of the box. I called Taurus and in about a week I got a new one. They didn't send any instructions about returning the old one, so I'm guessing they really don't want it back. It don't work.

Not disputing anyone else's comments just reporting my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    You get what you pay for and you best test it yourself with about 500 rounds at the range. You and the gun need to get to know eachother anyway, respect and trust are earned not given... right?
    - I agree 100%. There's no way I would carry any gun until I've put at least a few hundred rounds through it, including whatever round you plan on carrying. While it's true that a gun could malfunction at any time, I'd rather know that I could trust the reliability through testing.

Interesting article.

I recently purchased a SA XD40 SC and the extended mag would fail to feed at least once every time I had it in the weapon. Contacted SA and they sent me a FedEx label and I sent it back for replacement at their expense. The smaller magazine works great, I guess the extended mag had a weak spring or something?

I agree that no one should be lulled into a sense of safety with a namebrand. I have owned 3 firearms in my life that would just not function out of the box.

1) Keltec P3-AT.. Jam o matic. First two rounds stovepiped and the trigger broke on the third round. This arm has a fairly good reputation.

2) Walther P-22.. Click and no bang! The gun never fired a single shot and I tried four different brands of ammo before I brought it back.

3) Remington Model 710.. Bolt jammed shut with factory ammo. It spent deer season at the factory. The next year the bolt handle broke off and it spent deer season at the factory. Yep, I sold that one cheap!

All three manufacturers are concidered quality gunmakers. The proof is in the puddin, go shoot em.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links