Kimber ultra carry size

This is a discussion on Kimber ultra carry size within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I've been lurking and enjoying this forum. I am interested in getting a Kimber and want to know if the ultra carry has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber ultra carry size

Kimber ultra carry size

Hey guys, I've been lurking and enjoying this forum.
    I am interested in getting a Kimber and want to know if the ultra carry has the same frame/grip length as the pro carry and the full size 5 inch models. I have shot my friends full size 1911 Kimber and feel it is a bit large for concealed carry. So, is the ultra or pro shorter in the grip? I'd love to get to hold one but haven't come across one. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

The Pro series has a full length grip. The Ultra series is shorter.

And...Welcome to the forum!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning4 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been lurking and enjoying this forum.
    I am interested in getting a Kimber and want to know if the ultra carry has the same frame/grip length as the pro carry and the full size 5 inch models. I have shot my friends full size 1911 Kimber and feel it is a bit large for concealed carry. So, is the ultra or pro shorter in the grip? I'd love to get to hold one but haven't come across one. Thanks in advance.
    I believe the pro carry has the full size grip while the ultra has the smaller officer's grip. With the smaller grip on the ultra you may not be able to fit your little finger on the grip unless your mag has a base pad. I personally don't care to have my little finger dangling off, but you may be comfortable with it. Also the ultras are 3 in. barrel while the pro series is 4. Barrel length is less important than grip length for concealed carry. I have an ultra and it carries very well, but I wouldn't say that it's way better than a pro carry model. I actually like my CBOB with the bobtail frame the best.

If I'm not mistaken. The ultra is shorter than the pro. The only other Kimber in the lineup...if they still offer it....that has the ultra length grip but a longer slide is the "compact CDP". I like the feel of the ultra grip. I've got medium sized hands and can just get my pinky on the bottom. The ultra sized Kimbers are quite a bit more concealable than the Pro size models, in my opinion.

Two replies, two different answers (see the above two posts)! I guess this means you need to try both and see which works for you.

both a pro(4") and custom(5") have the same size grip, whereas an Ultra model is an officer size, and quite a bit smaller/shorter grip.

..and thats the right answer
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I currently carry a Kahr PM9. Having a really short grip, I often carry with the extended mag which makes drawing much easier, and I have small hands for a guy. I am torn between choosing a carry gun or a range gun.

I currently carry a Kahr PM9. Having a really short grip, I often carry with the extended mag which makes drawing much easier, and I have small hands for a guy. I am torn between choosing a carry gun or a range gun.
    Two different jobs probably means two different guns (unfortunately). For a gun whose only purpose is range shooting I'd go with a full size model, e.g., in a 1911 I'd want a full grip and a 5 in. barrel. If the guns only purpose was for concealed carry I'd go with the pro or ultra. Save up and get both. If you decide you only want one of them sell the other. You'll lose a few bucks but you'll have made the decision that's best for you.

FYI -- "Ultras" from Kimber are reported to be of at least two measurements. The Kimber Ultra Tactical II is 5.00" high, whereas most all the other Ultras measure 4.75".

In terms of the frame size and height, with Kimbers: Full sized, Pro and Ultra are roughly equal to Gov't, Commander and Officer's ... in that order.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had Kimbers in Ultra, Compact, and Pro (all CDP's).
    The Ultra will give you the shorter barrel and shorter grip.
    The Pro will give you the longer barrel and longer grip.

Now, the Compact will give you the shorter grip, but the longer barrel (4").

IMHO the Compact is the best of all three, because you have the longer barrel, but Kimber's shorter grip...which gives you better concealment with a the longer sight radius.

I still have my Ultra and Compact CDP's, but they sit in the safe now that I use a Glock-36 as my EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just fired my Kimber Ultra stainless 2 yesterday and it was damn fun. The grip is smaller than my larger Kimber Custom 2. Both of them are 45 ACP but the larger frame Kimber handles recoil much better. Since the other is smaller it kinda snaps slightly more but the shot grouping is really well! I conceal carry the Ultra during the day and use the 5 in barrel for night at home. Larger model has night sights and I have yet to purchase night sites for my new Ultra. I had a Glock 27 but it was too bulky in the grip and traded it. Glock lovers will hate me for doing that but the Kimber fires much better IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    FYI -- "Ultras" from Kimber are reported to be of at least two measurements. The Kimber Ultra Tactical II is 5.00" high, whereas most all the other Ultras measure 4.75".

In terms of the frame size and height, with Kimbers: Full sized, Pro and Ultra are roughly equal to Gov't, Commander and Officer's ... in that order.
    That's because Kimber "Tactical" Ultra models have an extended mag well, thus the longer grip.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Then the compact is what I want. 4 inch barrel with shorter grip. What does CDP stand for?

DMM
    CDP stands for Custom Defence Package. The Ultra/Compact has a height of 4.75" and the pro 5.25." I have a Pro CDP II and carry OWB. My biggest concern is exposing the tip of the holster at the end of the barrel, not the height of the grip showing. I also carry an EMP which has a 3" barrel and is 5.125" in height. The EMP has one more feature, a .25" narrower grip fore and aft. Feels much smaller somehow and if you have small hands it's worth a look.

Then the compact is what I want. 4 inch barrel with shorter grip. What does CDP stand for?
    <------------Take a look at my avitar......that's a Pro CDP......4" Bbl
    It also comes standard with the Melt down treatment which looks like a well used bar of soap.. all edges are rounded for better/faster draw and holstering.. full size grip I've had that gun for about 5 yrs now.....and never a hiccup
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links