comparing a couple revolvers

This is a discussion on comparing a couple revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would go with the S&W. I looked at them all and liked the LCR and the CA but loved the S&W AirWeights. It will ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: comparing a couple revolvers

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I would go with the S&W. I looked at them all and liked the LCR and the CA but loved the S&W AirWeights. It will be worth checking them out before making the final choice. I did and now very glad I did.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

Lay a 642 in your strong hand and a LCR in the weak one. Smith weight is--- well heavy. My wife just bought her first hand gun for home defense. We both shot her LRC today. Hers has crimson trace grips. The trigger rolls the wheel then stiffens. Aim bang. You will have to feel it to under stand. For sighting in and target practice it's a nice touch. Get out of my House BangBangBang. You do not feel any resistance. Great little gun. Oh almost forgot, also open and close the wheel a couple times on each one. You will feel the difference.
    Should have seen the Wife's face when I said I might want to carry it this summer. Easy pocket gun.

I would try them out or rent them if possible. I rented the S&W 642 and wasn't a fan of the trigger pull at all. I also rented the LCR and really liked the trigger pull and found it to be very pleasant to shoot.

That being said, I don't own any revolvers.

My wife, mother, and I all carry S&Ws. M36, M60, and M638. My mother recently asked that I obtain her an additional M60 so that she could have it near her bed and the other is in her purse. Both of these ladies are members of the "older Americans" set and they like their S&W wheel guns. Not much range time anymore, but they both know that they will go "bang" if they need to go "bang".
    If I'd known I was coming to a gun fight I would have brought my rifle. Since I don't have my rifle, I guess I will be using this gun in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    I recently bought a Charter Arms On Duty, and have been carrying it in my front pocket for about 3 weeks now. It is only 15.5 oz fully loaded, you just forget it’s there after a day or two. It shoots dead on to the point of aim with 158gr LSWCHP loads. The trigger pull on mine is very smooth and light. Great gun for the money. They were $369, but I traded a P11 for most of that.
    +1
    Got an "Off Duty". Carries very well in a basic holster, even with light weight pants.
    At the range, accuracy is "so so". At 21' with a 12"x12" target, my shots are spread out, but on the paper.
    By comparison, I am equally accurate with the G26 at TWICE the distance.

Of the three you listed the Ruger is the best quality and has the best action. My snubbies are S&Ws and Colts but if I was in the market right now I'd buy an LCR.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I had a Taurus 85UL. It was one disappointment after another. I planned to fire 300 rounds to prove it and declare it safe for carry. She didn't make it. After 3 problems I got it back from Taurus and then traded it for something I love but didn't really need, another Dan Wesson. Oh well, go me!

A Smith & Wesson will shoot just like a Taurus, which is fine, but will have a much better fit and finish.

However, I bought the Ruger LCR for my replacement. Great little gun. Fit and finish are good. It is not meant to be a slick and racy little sports machine, but simply a gun that works. I was a little concerned when it arrived, about the palm swell in the rubber Hogue grips but it disappears in the pocket fine. The trigger is fabulous and I'm up to 230 rounds and very happy so far.

I purchased a Don Hume 715 IWB for it and also a Pocket-Roo pocket holster with speed loader pouch. The Pocket-Roo is quickly becoming my favorite mode as warm weather approaches and they are a supporter of this forum. See the forum home page for a link.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Between the options you’re considering, the LCR is the better choice in my view. It’s reliable and the trigger and balance is actually nicer than my customized S&W 640.
    Last edited by Saber; April 13th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Just ditched my Glock 26. Wasn't for me. The angle of the strap didn't fit my hand well and it was very thick for me to carry in the warmer months.

I'm looking into some snubbys.

I was curious of your opinions regarding the LCR, Charter arms off duty, and the Taurus ultra lite 85. What are some pros and cons of
    each?

Thanks
    How or where do you plan on carrying the snubby?

Depending on where you want to carry weight might not be a factor. If you plan on pocket or ankle, then yes, you probably want a light gun, but if your going to carry in a good holster on your belt then you can carry a pretty heavy gun.

My 3inch SP101 loaded is right at 2lbs, but carries very good in a nice Fist holster. When I carry the S&W 642, it carries as well but the lighter weight makes no difference over the heavier Ruger.

Of they guns you mentioned, I don't have any real experience with any of them. Personally I don't necessarily feel lighter is better all the time, especially if you want a good SD round with some punch behind it. At the range you will definately find that lighter is not better. You won't tend to shot a very light pocket pistol much more than to get accustomed to it.

I like to shoot my guns, so I tend to buy them heavy enough to be fun for a day at the range.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The Ruger sp101 is very appealing to me.

I'd like to start practicing pocket carry. Belt carry on occasion in the colder days when I'm wearing jeans.

Is the Sp101 too big or heavy for pocket carry?

The Ruger sp101 is very appealing to me.

I'd like to start practicing pocket carry. Belt carry on occasion in the colder days when I'm wearing jeans.

Is the Sp101 too big or heavy for pocket carry?
    Yes SP101 is too heavy for pocket carry. I have the 3" version, and the 2" version only saves you 2oz.

I have an LCR and love the trigger. Smooth as butter. I consider or used to consider myself recoil sensitive and could not shoot a snub nose revolver very well. The Ruger LCR changed that. Something about the combination of the design of the gun and the feel of the trigger, I can shoot it better than I ever could any other snubby.

Give the LCR a try before you jump on a purchase. It's the best trigger I've felt in a revolver.

As for Taurus and Charter. Definitely avoid the Charter, they aren't made like they used to be IMO, and the Taurus' they make some decent and some not.. it's hit or miss with them.

Out of the three you mentioned, the Ruger is far above the other two.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I have never had a problem with any charter, taurus, ruger, or s&w revolver I have owned

I think I have it narrowed down to the Ruger LCR and the Smith 637. The ability to shoot single action is appealing to me on the Smith.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Ruger LCR and the Smith 637. The ability to shoot single action is appealing to me on the Smith.
    Also keep in mind, if you conceal carry the Smith, you may have a problem with the hammer hanging up on your clothing during draw.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I carry a Smith model 60 a lot during the summer, and it is my grab gun if I am making a quick trip to the store. That being said, I think the Ruger SP101 is also a fine choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links