comparing a couple revolvers

This is a discussion on comparing a couple revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Derek33 The Ruger sp101 is very appealing to me. I'd like to start practicing pocket carry. Belt carry on occasion in the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: comparing a couple revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    The Ruger sp101 is very appealing to me.

I'd like to start practicing pocket carry. Belt carry on occasion in the colder days when I'm wearing jeans.

Is the Sp101 too big or heavy for pocket carry?
    A lot of people will tell you that the SP101 is too heavy for pocket carry. It all depends on your perspective. I have two SP101s that I carry, both are DAO, one 2 1/4", one 3". I can pocket carry either, though the 2 1/4" fits better. My regular carry method for the 2 1/4" is pocket carry, and its my primary carry gun. Its a little bigger than a J-frame, and a lot heavier than an Airweight, but neither of those factors make it impossible to pocket carry.

If you want single action in a pocket revolver, look at the S&W 638. I don't think SA capability is necessary, but if you do, the 638 is the most snag free choice.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Just ditched my Glock 26. Wasn't for me. The angle of the strap didn't fit my hand well and it was very thick for me to carry in the warmer months.

I'm looking into some snubbys.

I was curious of your opinions regarding the LCR, Charter arms off duty, and the Taurus ultra lite 85. What are some pros and cons of
    each?

Thanks
    My wife's Taurus 85 was quite good, and its new owner is still happy with it, but it was from the era before Taurus "improved" their revolvers, which was actually a step backward. The ongoing joke about the Taurus lifetime warranty is that getting them to make it good takes a lifetime of patience.

Charter Arms? Let's just say that when I bought a Charter Bulldog on impulse in the 1980's, then closely examined it later, I was a bit afraid to shoot such a poorly-fitted piece of machinery, and traded it away unfired. Whether today's Charter is any better, I cannot say.

I have not fired an LCR, but based on Ruger's excellent reputation for customer service, and the rugged durability of Ruger products I own now, I would go with the LCR, of the three weapons mentioned in the original post. I have never had to use Ruger's customer service, and some of my Ruger revolvers have been used HARD. My love for the SP101 and GP100 is well-documented on this and other forums.

I also have strong affection for the S&W Model 642. Mine is actually designated "M460" on the frame, from a run of 642-derived Performance Center revolvers built in the 1990's, when S&W gave many such runs of weapons their own model numbers, and yes, S&W did indeed re-use that model number in the 21st Century for an X-frame.

FWIW, I have an SP101, in a Kramer pocket holster, in my pocket right now. I mostly use pocket carry around the house now, but have pocket-carried a pair of SP101 snubbies in the front pockets of Wrangler Riata pleated Western-styled slacks in the past, when going to court, and one pocketed SP101 in the front pockets of other pants, in public. (Yes, I am legal to be armed in the local courthouses; court attendance is considered on-duty.)

I will probably by an LCR sooner or later. I can't see myself ever buying a Taurus or Charter Arms product.
    Last edited by Rexster; April 13th, 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo

Have been a Smith owner for years and have always liked their products. But the LCR trigger is much better than any of the similar S&W's. LCR is what I selected.

I have a charter off duty (hammerless dao) that I've put hundreds of rounds through with no problem. The recoil is very harsh with +P in any light weight revolver so if you want to practice at the range keep that in mind, your hand won't be able to stand more than 20-30 shots at a time.

Weighs about 12 ounces, which is I believe 3 ounces LESS than the S&W airweights. The LCR is around the same weight but side by side the LCR appears bulky and the difference is noticable in a pocket holster. Accuracy with any snubbie is so-so you won't be shooting dime sized groupings but for self defense its sufficient.

For Me,SP101,SP101,SP101,SP101,SP101,then,Ruger LCR,LCR,LCR,LCR,And,LCR. Then for home defense situations,Ruger GP100,GP100,GP100,GP100,and GP100. Thats how many I have. And one for each day I carry. richgp100z

I would go s&w638 or sp101. I know of one brand on that list that has many, many problems with mechanics and to top it off the CS is the worst. I will keep that brand name to myself, for the sake of keeping this from becoming a bashing thread. I have had long experience with GP100's. Lovem'

I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices.But if you want to save some bucks get the Charter Arms.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

I was curious of your opinions regarding the LCR, Charter arms off duty, and the Taurus ultra lite 85. What are some pros and cons of
    each?

Thanks
    The gold standard is the S&W J frames......its a proven platform.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a S&W 442 and a Ruger SP101. The LCR felt funny in my hand (but has a nice trigger). I have no experience with the Charter. The 442 (a variant of the 642) is a light, small, 5 shot .38 spcl. It's great, snappy with +P, but easy to carry. It gets a lot of pocket time. Personally, The Ruger SP101 stainless steel .357 Magnum snubbie is awesome. Somewhat heavier than the 442, and a little larger, but worth it to me. You can practice with .38s and carry the .357s. It's snappy with the full load .357s, so if it is too much you can carry .38 +Ps and its easy on the hands (much easier than +Ps out of an Airweight S&W). I carry the SP101 IWB quite often and don't even notice it's there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The Ruger sp101 is very appealing to me.

I'd like to start practicing pocket carry. Belt carry on occasion in the colder days when I'm wearing jeans.

Is the Sp101 too big or heavy for pocket carry?
    I have no problem pocket carrying my Ruger SP101. I also carry a XD40sc in my pocket at times too. Apparently I buy my pants in the big pocket store.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Derek,
    1) The S&W is the best quality of the bunch, but costs at least a couple hundred bucks more. Not really justified for casual SD use around the house.
    Regards,
    Jim
    My 642 is only for formal SD use. Bad guys who don't have the common courtesy to dress up before breaking in, just don't deserve to be shot with it. I will just poke them in the eye with a sharp stick, and send them on their way.

SP101 is built like a Swiss-vault. If,however, you want a light snub look at the LCR and one of the Airweight Smith J-Frames. All good choices! Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

[QUOTE=Kilowatt3;1575738]Derek,

1) The S&W is the best quality of the bunch, but costs at least a couple hundred bucks more. Not really justified for casual SD use around the house.

I'm not pushing S&W, but what is "casual SD"? I would think it's a serious proposition everywhere, and worth any investment you're able to make.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Just ditched my Glock 26. Wasn't for me. The angle of the strap didn't fit my hand well and it was very thick for me to carry in the warmer months.

Well, I'm not a Glock fan but I think any snubbie is going to also be fairly "thick," right, due to the cylinder...it may conceal better than a G26, depending, but "not as thick?" I don't see it...

Also, running a revolver is a different head, you'll need to practice reloading it a LOT...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member
    I think I have it narrowed down to the Ruger LCR and the Smith 637. The ability to shoot single action is appealing to me on the Smith.
    '637 fan here. I love the single-action.

I also own a G26, and though it offers superior firepower, I'll concede that the shape of the small airweight J-frame tends to disappear in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Not so much for the G26.

For IWB, I'll still carry the G26 over the 637.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links