comparing a couple revolvers

This is a discussion on comparing a couple revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just ditched my Glock 26. Wasn't for me. The angle of the strap didn't fit my hand well and it was very thick for me ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: comparing a couple revolvers

Just ditched my Glock 26. Wasn't for me. The angle of the strap didn't fit my hand well and it was very thick for me to carry in the warmer months.

I'm looking into some snubbys.

I was curious of your opinions regarding the LCR, Charter arms off duty, and the Taurus ultra lite 85. What are some pros and cons of
    each?

Thanks

Out of your choices, I'd get the LCR. The trigger is supposed to be really nice.

But I would get a S&W 642 before any of those choices.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    +1 on the S&W 642

Ruger sp101

I really like my LCR. The trigger is very nice. Even I shoot straight with it!
    The S&W 642 is worth looking at. Right now, i can tell you that it will be easier to find a holster for the S&W. The LCR has an oblong trigger guard and wont fit most holsters made for standard J2 frames.

I have a 642, just the standard by which snubbies are judged....had a taurus 85 and it had issues had to go back and i lost faith.....say what you like, but they are not a first tier manufacturer so i would recommend from your list the ruger....but you owe it to yourself to at leasrt check out a S&W.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Just ditched my Glock 26. Wasn't for me. The angle of the strap didn't fit my hand well and it was very thick for me to carry in the warmer months.

I'm looking into some snubbys.

I was curious of your opinions regarding the LCR, Charter arms off duty, and the Taurus ultra lite 85. What are some pros and cons of
    each?

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I don't believe you'll find anyone who has all three of those to compare. However, even though you didn't ask, you can get a bunch of people telling you to buy the S&W. So there's that.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither' -Ben Franklin

On topic of Smiths....
    How do the triggers of the 642 and the 637 compare?

Derek,

I recently did a pretty careful comparison of those three (plus the S&W 642) when I was shopping for a .38 for my Mom to keep in her pocket or apron when she's outside around her house. My conclusion was that for her purposes, the Charter Arms won hands down. Here are a few observations:

1) The S&W is the best quality of the bunch, but costs at least a couple hundred bucks more. Not really justified for casual SD use around the house.

2) The Charter Arms is considerably lighter than the Taurus, noticeably lighter than the S&W, and a bit lighter than the LCR. This is a big plus for casual carry. On the other hand, the light weight and smaller grips of the CA probably make it the least desirable for extensive range use.

3) The trigger pull of the CA is much smoother & lighter than the Taurus, better than the LCR, and fairly comparable to the S&W, although the Smith wins by a nose. Still, not worth the difference in price, all else considered.

4) Charter Arms, being a low-end brand name, will take some flak for being "cheap", but their build quality is excellent, for the price. I have a stainless Undercover that's been in my pocket during most of my outdoor activities for the last 20-something years. I've killed at least 50 or 60 snakes with it, and it's always been reliable and comfortable to carry. The DAO Off-Duty should be even better, being almost 1/2 pound lighter and hammerless.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of Ruger, S&W, and Taurus - I just think that the CA is the best buy of the four, and perfectly up to the task. Be sure you at least handle all of them before you make a final choice!

Regards,
    Jim

I have a S&W 637 that I really like ALOT. The LCR is also a sweet little snub. They all carry great, but the cylinder is just as thick as a G26. The Smith Airweights are only about $100.00 more than the Charter Arms. Well worth the extra Ben Franklin for a S&W IMO.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I plan on buying a LCR myself. I fired a few Taurus snubbies, and wasn't too crazy. Especially after the last one had 3 FTF's. (Ammo fired later from a different snubbie...so it was the gun not striking hard enough.)

Don't know if I trust a Charter Arms...haven't read enough to make an educational guess. And I'm not crazy about the trigger or price of a S&W.

Ruger sp101 for the money is the most dependable snubby. It's a tank.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

+1 for SP101.
    ( o=)==:::

Get a Smith and Wesson or LCR. It all comes down to you get what you pay for.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I recently bought a Charter Arms On Duty, and have been carrying it in my front pocket for about 3 weeks now. It is only 15.5 oz fully loaded, you just forget it’s there after a day or two. It shoots dead on to the point of aim with 158gr LSWCHP loads. The trigger pull on mine is very smooth and light. Great gun for the money. They were $369, but I traded a P11 for most of that.
    Last edited by 303british; April 12th, 2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links