3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning - Page 2

3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

This is a discussion on 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not exactly a major revelation, S&W still makes the 4-digit 3rd Generations for department contracts, but they are limited to the TSW series models: 4003, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

Not exactly a major revelation, S&W still makes the 4-digit 3rd Generations for department contracts, but they are limited to the TSW series models: 4003, 4006, 4563, 4566, 5903, 5906, 3913, 4013, 4513, CS9, & CS45.

Category - LE Pistols

As for the retail market, the only 3rd Generations left are the value series guns:

Category - Metal Frame

I don't expect we will see the VE series Sigma pistols go anywhere, S&W sells a ton of them, and the current offerings are actually good quality, especially given the usual $275-$325 NIB sale price.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I bought my 5906 nib 13 yrs ago. It is on my side every day at work. I love it. I mighjt have to find one in excellent cond. to keep it company.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am pleasantly surprised to see that S&W still makes metal autopistols at all; I have not seen one in the new firearms display area of local dealers for some time. Sadly, the models I liked, except for the Model 41, are history.

I do love a good this is a rumor/this is not a rumor thread

hmmm, s&w rumor gets out about a change in production. die hard s&w owners flock to buy up the "last" of the steel guns. sales sharply increase. hmmmm. nope, nuthin fishy about that.

Of the three big names in plastic guns; M&P's, Glocks and XD's the XD's get my vote. The M&P's and the Glocks are just plain ugly. I don't care how good they shoot and I don't care how light they are. A gun should look like a gun and not some ugly toy. To me they are just crooked sticks that go bang.

I have three plastic guns and don't want any more. They just don't have the soul of something in all steel. I have two of the 3rd generation Smiths and will buy more. I have a couple CZ's and will probably buy more. A High Power or a 1911 or a Mak might be in my future. I have a Smith 686 and Ruger GP100. All steel of course and beautiful to behold. Unfortunately the rumor makes sense. I guess the gun consuming public prefers cheap plastic so Smith can't justify continuing with a line for which there is less and less demand. I hope it's not true.

Regarding the light weight gun issue. I carry either a full size CZ75 or a Smith 5906 from morning until bedtime every day. All steel and heavy. I've been doing it for three years. After a while you don't notice it.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I hope for you Smith loyalists it is a rumor and a ploy to make sales. But my source stated that they were trying to actually get out of building a LARGE order of metal pistols, and replace the ENTIRE order with M&P equivalents for FREE. Just so they wouldnt have to do all the work on the metal guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

S&W 3rd generation metal pistols are the most underrated handguns in the entire industry.

They weren't smooth, elegant, slick or beautiful, but they WORKED.

All the doubters could look at their catalog to start.

if this news is indeed true, it comes as no surprise to me. i haven't seen a metal framed s&w for sale in a shop in years, except for their 1911's of course.

they're not exactly in high demand. surprised they didn't stop making them years ago. good guns, but nowadays if someone wants steel-they get a 1911.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    if this news is indeed true, it comes as no surprise to me. i haven't seen a metal framed s&w for sale in a shop in years, except for their 1911's of course.

they're not exactly in high demand. surprised they didn't stop making them years ago. good guns, but nowadays if someone wants steel-they get a 1911.

The local shop sells the heck out of steel smith autos. He gets used and new in. I own three. I can't see Smith ditching models like the 3913. Other then the weight its pretty much right there with other super slim 9mm guns. Many of the rookie cops around where I live carry 3rd gen guns and they complain because of what they aren't (a Glock or M&P).
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post

The local shop sells the heck out of steel smith autos. He gets used and new in. I own three. I can't see Smith ditching models like the 3913. Other then the weight its pretty much right there with other super slim 9mm guns. Many of the rookie cops around where I live carry 3rd gen guns and they complain because of what they aren't (a Glock or M&P).
    i guess they weren't selling enough, if it's true that they're being discontinued......

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    i guess they weren't selling enough, if it's true that they're being discontinued......
    It just gives me an excuse to order the chief's special .45 I've wanted
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sounds like an excuse for me to hold on to my 3913 TSW.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post

I can't see Smith ditching models like the 3913. Other then the weight its pretty much right there with other super slim 9mm guns.
    I didn't even realize S&W still made 3913's... I thought they stopped making them at least several years ago... Huh...

Rumor or not - I believe it. It just makes $$ sense (which stinks, IMO)...

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links