3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning - Page 3

3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

This is a discussion on 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so S&W has just decided to move their "all metal" production to a new facility with new CNC equipment so they could use all ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

Ok so S&W has just decided to move their "all metal" production to a new facility with new CNC equipment so they could use all stainless steel as opposed to carbon steel...if they were going to discontinue the firearms why even bother investing in a newer facility. Now the move was probably made to make more room for M&P production...but either way...expect better and new all metal S&W's come fall!
    guns rule

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    It just gives me an excuse to order the chief's special .45 I've wanted
    call s&w and ask them, my friend.

if it's true, grab the one you want while you can, for sure. nice guns

JT
    This is a good thing if it means they can produce more revolvers. It’s often hard to find a particular model. For a while you can find a 686 and then you can’t. Then you can find a 627, and then you can’t, etc, etc.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Of the three big names in plastic guns; M&P's, Glocks and XD's the XD's get my vote. The M&P's and the Glocks are just plain ugly. I don't care how good they shoot and I don't care how light they are. A gun should look like a gun and not some ugly toy. To me they are just crooked sticks that go bang.
    Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. To me the XD is ugly. The 3.8 is taller than it is long, it just looks plain goofy.

Both the XD and the M&P obviously were designed to cash in on the Glock craze, and all of them look mostly alike. I like steel pistols and revolvers as much as the next guy - I carry a SW 3913 everywhere, every day, and keep a 4" GP100 stainless for home defense - but I can see the utility of the plastic guns. For the companies, plastic just makes sense economically, and for rapid design purposes. I don't know the numbers, but I would bet that alloy frames (like that on my 3913) will break easier than the plastic frame on, say, a Glock, M&P, or XD.

I'm just sayin'...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    I don't know the numbers, but I would bet that alloy frames (like that on my 3913) will break easier than the plastic frame on, say, a Glock, M&P, or XD.

I'm just sayin'...
    I seriously doubt that.

IMO I agree the XDs are ugly. Glocks are really.... really really ugly...The M&P is absolutely beautiful. But they all serve the same purpose so who cares?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I seriously doubt that.

IMO I agree the XDs are ugly. Glocks are really.... really really ugly...The M&P is absolutely beautiful. But they all serve the same purpose so who cares?
    I agree - and I don't plan to test the breakage theory...

I just purchased a 3913 and talked to S&W about some items. I found out that many of the medium autos are now out of production, even thought they are still on their website. The rep told me they were still listed as to show they had been produced. Hmmmn. I'm glad I got mine, best auto I've ever shot. I found out that they are extremely rare right now.
    Mar 9:23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."

With that scripture I go forward steady by jerks.

Also pray for our President; Psalm 109:8

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kcmitch View Post
    I just purchased a 3913 and talked to S&W about some items. I found out that many of the medium autos are now out of production, even thought they are still on their website. The rep told me they were still listed as to show they had been produced. Hmmmn. I'm glad I got mine, best auto I've ever shot. I found out that they are extremely rare right now.
    Thanks for finding that out for us. I guess it means they will still produce some but not all
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    You bought a new 3913? Was it fresh from the factory, or new old stock?

My gun shop guy said he couldn't get me one a while back............

Thanks!

No big loss.

re

^^^ +1 - they can dump all the tupperware as far as i'm concerned
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Thumbs up Third Generation Autos

I, quite by accident came across a Smith and Wesson 3913. Didn't know a thing about Third Generation anything. But after looking at the gun for about ten minutes, I purchased same. Got home and put eight rounds through it and vowed nobody, but nobody was ever going to talk me out of this gun. What a wonderful piece of bullet sending machinery. I think I was very lucky to find this and after searching the web, I found they are very rare. After reading this thread I know why. Just wanted to add my two cents. Thanks for the great forum.
    Mar 9:23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."

With that scripture I go forward steady by jerks.

Also pray for our President; Psalm 109:8

I to had a 3913 at one point in GREAT condition....I sold it being a big dummy. Way to cheap and for no real good reason.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Got home and put eight rounds through it and vowed nobody, but nobody was ever going to talk me out of this gun. What a wonderful piece of bullet sending machinery.
    My sentiments exactly! SW 3913 NL is my daily carry. Please post a pic.

I think I was very lucky to find this and after searching the web, I found they are very rare. After reading this thread I know why. Just wanted to add my two cents.
    They are somewhat rare, and certainly not in production anymore, but if you search they can be found used. They do come in a few slightly different formats, although of course they're all single stack, 8 rd 9mms. If you search on the term "3913" you'll find quite a few folks on this forum have them (or have had them) and think highly of them.

As to polymer vs. metal frame, I don't really care either way. I hear real-world experience is showing the polymer frames are much more durable than was once believed, no matter the pistol manufacturer. SW going to all polymers is a business decision; I've heard a lot of good things about the M&P pistols so maybe it's not all bad.

Guys over on the S&W forum seem to confirm this. They are not showing up any longer on the website.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links