3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning - Page 5

3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

This is a discussion on 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JT Wow. That’s a rather bold statement. There are many people that have held, shot and owned Sigmas that detest them. No ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Wow. That’s a rather bold statement. There are many people that have held, shot and owned Sigmas that detest them. No reason to say that either (a) the person has no experience with the firearm, (b) the person can’t remember their experience or (c) they are a liar, just because they have a differing view than you have.

They attacked the firearm, not you. Don’t take it persoanally. If I took every attack against Glock as a personal attack, I would always be fighting.
    true. But there is just as many that held, shot and liked them.

the SW9VE was my first pistol. I bought it cause it fit my hand well. Even with very little experience or range time I could easily hit center mass of a target at 10 yards. Granted the pistol is limited and the trigger pull is horrendous. OMO if you can get a sigma with the deal smith runs all the time it is money very well spent.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

While I am sure the Sigma being dumped would be a disappointment to some, the 3rd gen metal guns leaving will leave a big hole in the market for a lot of people. I just hope S&W isnt throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Wow, after reading this thread, I'm sure glad I held on to my 4006.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    As to the newest Sigmas:
    Did you ever even hold a Sigma much less shoot one? Based on your comments, you couldn't have or you forgot anything and everything about it if you did. If the answer is that you haven't held/shot it, then why even comment on this. If the answer is that you have held/shot it, why the lie? The Sigma is a great gun. Most people that I know that own it fell in love with it (alright, took a deep liking to it) after shooting it and bought one. There is a huge following for this gun. Myself included.

The Sigma is cheap for a reason. Most of them have issues and need to be sent back in, not to mention tons of areas where the machine parts are poorly executed. I owned one brand new I bought back in January, put about 500 rounds through it. First 100 had 1 FTE, second 100 had 3, then it kept getting worst, and worst, until finally everytime I shot it, I would get an FTE. Sent it in to warranty, took about 3 weeks to get it back...when i called in to ask the status of my gun and i mentioned it was a Sigma that would constantly jam, the owner of the warranty center informed me I had to be specific because he had over 300 sigmas in house he had to fix for jamming issues. I also had low firing rounds, which was due to a poorly mounted front sight. So I had my extractor replaced and front sight and sold the POC as soon as it came back. After market accessories are hardly available....the rail is practically useless and needs and adapter for anything you add (with the exception of one laser manufacturer) and the trigger prevents the gun from being used for anything but self defense and some crappy range trips.

Save your money, buy a used glock or a used 3rd gen S&W semi auto other than the sigma. And it takes over 10 weeks to get the little crap rebate they offer, so when buying I would look at the face value being paid.

Read over the S&W forums, every day there is a new member complaining about issues with them...the rest of the time it's just other sigma owners trying to convince themselves they didnt buy a crappy cheap gun...which they did
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 16th, 2010 at 01:54 AM.
    guns rule

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    The Sigma is cheap for a reason. Most of them have issues and need to be sent back in, not to mention tons of areas where the machine parts are poorly executed. I owned one brand new I bought back in January, put about 500 rounds through it. First 100 had 1 FTE, second 100 had 3, then it kept getting worst, and worst, until finally everytime I shot it, I would get an FTE. Sent it in to warranty, took about 3 weeks to get it back...when i called in to ask the status of my gun and i mentioned it was a Sigma that would constantly jam, the owner of the warranty center informed me I had to be specific because he had over 300 sigmas in house he had to fix for jamming issues. I also had low firing rounds, which was due to a poorly mounted front sight. So I had my extractor replaced and front sight and sold the POS as soon as it came back. After market accessories are hardly available....the rail is practically useless and needs and adapter for anything you add (with the exception of one laser manufacturer) and the trigger prevents the gun from being used for anything but self defense and some crappy range trips.

Save your money, buy a used glock or a used 3rd gen S&W semi auto other than the shitma. And it takes over 10 weeks to get the little crap rebate they offer, so when buying I would look at the face value being paid.

Read over the S&W forums, every day there is a new member complaining about issues with them...the rest of the time it's just other sigma owners trying to convince themselves they didnt buy a crappy cheap gun...which they did
    Alright, first of all, I apologize for my earlier comments. I too have a new one (just over 4 weeks old) and just today put another 250 rounds through it which takes me up to 1050 +/- 25, 100% failure free shots. Not one failure of any kind with this gun. If you do read the S&W Sigma forum, you will see that the "low shot" idea is pretty much a non fact. Most people that shoot them start out by pulling their shots low, only to realize and admit that they just had to get used to the trigger/gun handling. I did too for about the first 50 or so rounds. And even then, it was was pretty seldom, most shots went reasonably close to where I was aiming. Also, as far as it being a crappy range gun only suited to SD, take a look at the threads on "show me your targets". There are many great groups posted, several of them are mine. During my first 175 shots, I was getting 4"-5" groups at 30', this from a new gun and a new to me caliber, the 40S&W. After another 150-200 rounds, my groups fell well under 3" at varying distances from 25'-30'. Today, they were as good as that or better. I may have hit my limit with this gun. But what's wrong with sub 3' groups at 30'? And it seems a little strange that anyone at S&W would bash their own product by telling you that they have XXX number of Sigmas with problems. That is not good business sense. I have tried to get info like that from them and others (Kel-tec for example) and most have the same (what I consider to be B.S.) answer of "less than 5% failure". I get that from any manufacturer that I have contacted. They all have that magic number of <5%. The Sigma forum is FULL of owners that love their gun, and VERY few complaints. I read and post to it every day since I got mine just over 4 weeks ago. I must be reading something different than you. As far as the Glock suggestion goes, I have 3 thank you very much, and the more I shoot the Sigma, the more I like it better than my Glocks. Weird but true. I put a Lazerlyte QD lazer on my Sigma (with the $6 adapter) and practice dry firing it all of the time, I can hold that dot steady on the hole of a decorative bird house (1.5") from 40' and it doesn't move from there while dry fire practicing. All it takes is a little patience and lots of practice.
    The Sigma is a GREAT gun! No wait, the BEST gun, considering the very good price for an extremely reliable and useful gun. Is it a Sig or a Glock (currently my favorites), no! But you WILL NOT find a gun near as good or can do what the Sigma does for $300 or less.
    And the rebate, who cares how log it takes, the $50 is a bonus. The purchase of the gun should stand on it's own merits. If $50 was that important to me, then I couldn't afford to buy the gun in the first place.
    Ceapea
    Last edited by Ceapea; May 15th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

ntg
    Personally the Sigma is a good gun for the price. There are better guns, but you'll pay for them. To me the new SD guns look like a dressed up Sigma (read better looking). IF the "new" trigger is better than the current Sigma trigger it will be moving a lot closer to "great" IMO. Just my 2 cents.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

I don't expect we will see the VE series Sigma pistols go anywhere, S&W sells a ton of them, and the current offerings are actually good quality, especially given the usual $275-$325 NIB sale price.[/QUOTE]

This is why I bought mine, at the same time a friend bought the same in .40. Niether pistol has had any type of problem...NOTHING.I have 400 rounds through mine, JHP (different brands including my carry round, WIN ranger 147 Grain "T series"), Blazer, reloads Winchester ball and others. The Gen two Sigma's really were crap, but I think they hit it right with the third.

They work well enough for me to stake my life on mine!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have on good authority from a very good source, that Smith and Wesson is getting out of the metal auto pistol business, and is working on phasing them out altogether. If you want one, smoke em while you can. Its gonna be an all polymer M&P lineup very soon. Just an FYI.

true, but their 1911's will still be produced. surprised it took them this long, their steel guns haven't been top sellers in years. good guns, but nowadays everyone wants polymer, or a 1911

I thought I wanted polymer myself. I went to the range Sat with my G26 with CT lazer and XS big dot and was quite humbled. Today I am carrying my 3913 TSW. I want to carry my 26 so bad I can taste it. It looks like I will be back with old faithful for awhile and my wife has a new Glock 26.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links