3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

This is a discussion on 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have on good authority from a very good source, that Smith and Wesson is getting out of the metal auto pistol business, and is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

Exclamation 3rd gen Smith lovers begin mourning

I have on good authority from a very good source, that Smith and Wesson is getting out of the metal auto pistol business, and is working on phasing them out altogether. If you want one, smoke em while you can. Its gonna be an all polymer M&P lineup very soon. Just an FYI.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I spent my weekend this past weekend for instructing a course with a squad of twelve S&W Co. employee instructors including fitters, a managing master builder out of the Performance Center and several from administrative management.
    18 hrs. total course time plus an additional two hours administrative Sat & Sun.

Always shop and business talk goes on among the crew (a total of 19 employee instructors on the squad...plus me) and never ever have I heard this rumor item. I've been among the squad as invited 2.5 yrs. ago.

S&W is selling metal autoloaders like crazy; The 1911 line as well as the Model 41 being most notable.

I would though not at all be surprised to see the polymer Model SW ('Sigma') go away. Not that I'm saying that has been discussed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I hope this is only a rumor because I believe it would be a huge mistake on S&W's side.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Rumors are just that, Rumors.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    I hope this is only a rumor because I believe it would be a huge mistake on S&W's side.
    Agreed.
    Huge.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Are we surprised by anything Smith and Wesson does. Remember the agreement they signed several years ago with the government. They were a British Company then but they are up against some tough competition these days.

Selling as many steel revolvers, etc. that S&W sells, I can't see that they would just give up that piece of the business unless they had something better to take it's place?

First off they are only going out of the 3rd gen metal autopistol line. They will stillbuild the 1911. I cant exactly reveal my source. Trust me though, this is coming directly from Smith and Wesson personnel, involved in LE distribution. They only have about 5 major police agencies carrying S&W metal autos. Profit is not there for them any more. They are trying to phase them out to allow the M&P series to cut in to Glocks strangle hold on the LE market. This is NOT a rumor. Soon enough I will be proven right. Just trying to give the fellow members a heads up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I dont know whether I believe it or not, but I agree with Janq's comment about phasing out come of the crappy Polymer guns they have. They need to eliminate the Sigma, and SW99....guns like that merely bring down the reputation of S&W.
    guns rule

I'm pretty sure jwhite is correct. I heard months ago that S&W was phasing out the metal frame autos (think 59 and 69 series - DA/SA autoloaders). Of course they will still make the 1911 and wheel guns, though!

Also, several distributors have sent out email blasts and mailers touting their current supply of 6906's etc. as "last of the metal-frame S&W's."

I don't think it's a rumor. And anyway, when any company makes a change of this kind of magnitude, the employees are often the last ones to know...

I don't agree w/ the choice, but I do think it's a dollars and cents solution... Oh well... I'll snag a PD trade-in in a few years (when my gun budget recovers).

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    First off they are only going out of the 3rd gen metal autopistol line. They will stillbuild the 1911. I cant exactly reveal my source. Trust me though, this is coming directly from Smith and Wesson personnel, involved in LE distribution. They only have about 5 major police agencies carrying S&W metal autos. Profit is not there for them any more. They are trying to phase them out to allow the M&P series to cut in to Glocks strangle hold on the LE market. This is NOT a rumor. Soon enough I will be proven right. Just trying to give the fellow members a heads up.
    Same thing I was told mid last year. It will happen.

VIP Member
    With all the vinyl revolvers coming out from various makers, I’m not surprised. It’s a shame really, but 'quality' firearms isn’t at all what it use to be. The last 'well-built' handgun I owned was the H&K P7.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    This is NOT a rumor.
    Until it's attributable, it's still only a rumor. Which has no real bearing on it's probability. Coming from inside, alone, doesn't make it golden.

That being said, it's very likely true. With the speed of rapid prototyping, the quality of development tools and capabilities, and supply chain realities being what they are, having a lower-cost, easily-changed platform is going to become critical in order for many manufacturers to make it. The whole idea of the replaceable backstrap/frontstrap/grips idea means that a "one size fits all" ideal is close to reality. If a company can nail it on several other elements, as well, then they've got a (long term) lower-cost, highly repeatable platform that can end up with a much larger market than any one of the variants they had to manage previously. Win-win, for the firms that can nail it. In the long run, I'm sure we'll see most of them go this way. It's probably inevitable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I hope it's a rumor!!!!

There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

GM
    I do not say that it is impossible, but I always am very careful believing what those “very good sources that cannot be revealed” say. So, until it happens I consider it to be only a rumor, and for that reason I do not repeat it. How many times have we not heard from “very good sources” that Colt is going down? That the information comes from an insider does not necessarily make it true.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links