Field Strip Everytime?? - Page 4

Field Strip Everytime??

This is a discussion on Field Strip Everytime?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted yes! Okay, I lied. But I really mean to field strip and clean every time... honest!...

View Poll Results: Completely Field Strip and Clean Everytime you shoot?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

170 67.46%
  • NO

82 32.54%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    VIP Member
    I voted yes! Okay, I lied.
    But I really mean to field strip and clean every time... honest!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Half the fun of shooting my Glock is cleaning it when I get home Makes for some quality time between man and his firearm

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    If shooting corrosive ammo, of course. Sometimes I slack a little with my Mossberg pump or Glock, but generally I clean them afterward. Definitely clean my AR.
    Of all the guns to clean religiously, my ARs would be at the bottom of the list. If you keep 'em wet with lube where they need it, a good AR will run over 10K rounds. The bore - especially a chrome-plated bore - won't know the difference between clean and dirty.

My hunting guns get cleaned after each outing. Centerfire pistols get cleaned after a shooting session if they've had 100+ rounds through them. A dozen or two rounds? No need.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by subcompact04 View Post
    Should you field strip your guns down everytime you shoot them?
    Everytime I come home from the range I take the barrel out, the springs, clean the mag well, inside the slide and run a patch through the barrel a few times. How often do you need to take them all the way down and clean the sears, the firing pins etc... I shoot a lot of wolf ammo in my taurus and xd. in my 1911 all ive ran so far is good quality ammo.
    Any input would be good .... Thanx.

i voted no.

"field stripping" means taking the gun down to it's smallest parts.

i think the word you're looking for is "disassembling". which is basically taking it apart down to the barrel, frame, and slide (with a takedown lever, or slide stop removal for example)

i do disassemble my guns and clean after every range session.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Of all the guns to clean religiously, my ARs would be at the bottom of the list. If you keep 'em wet with lube where they need it, a good AR will run over 10K rounds. The bore - especially a chrome-plated bore - won't know the difference between clean and dirty.

My hunting guns get cleaned after each outing. Centerfire pistols get cleaned after a shooting session if they've had 100+ rounds through them. A dozen or two rounds? No need.
    I don't really clean my guns as much as I change the oil.

+1 on the no need to keep ARs clean, provided they are not junk, and you keep them well-lubed.

Excessive cleaning will wear out a gun. Especially guns that have lots of alloy parts.

I enjoy cleaning in front of the TV while watching a movie. I usually get all the guns I was shooting that day finished by the time the movie is over.

Yes, I field strip after shooting.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I voted "No". Now mind you, I'm relatively new to handguns but I've been around complex mechanical devices for a long time.

I have two pistols, a P22 and an M&P 9. When I shoot, I'll usually shoot 2 to 300 through the P22 and then a mag or two through the 9 just to remember what the recoil feels like.

I'll clean the P22 about every 1000 rds or so with possibly a little lubing in between.

For the 9 (which is my cary gun) - If I shoot just a mag or two (34 rds) I won't clean it. If I shoot a 100+, I usually will. One thing I read on this site that I really like is that after a cleaning, we're assuming every thing's o.k. and that it will fire after the cleaning but we really don't know that for sure until you pull the trigger on a chambered round. Field stripping and cleaning are an opportunity to make a mistake in reassembly that causes some sort of failure - as unlikely as it may seem, it can happen. The more you do it, the more possibilities there are.

My ideal situation would be to clean after a long range session and shoot off a couple of rounds after reassembly to verify.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Clean after every use. Can't conceal the smell of stinky gunpowder. "Ode de Hodgdon's" isn't particularly attractive.

While I'm taking care of my Glock 30 slide and barrel, the frame gets a run through the dishwasher followed by a dose of CLP.

Okay, I'm kidding about the dishwasher, although I know it can be done. The wife might have an objection or two.

Is it an absolute necessity? No, but I look upon it as part of the ritual of shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ooops, I phrased the question wrong, I think.

I was referring to cleaning of stored firearms, not carry pieces. Yea, carry pieces do need attention on a regular basis.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    i voted no.

i think the word you're looking for is "disassembling". which is basically taking it apart down to the barrel, frame, and slide (with a takedown lever, or slide stop removal for example)

You have your definitions reversed.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

i voted no.

I always thought the opposite was true.

I always do a quick takedown to the basic parts (slide,barrel,springs and magazine or cyclinder) and clean them after each shoot. It helps keep soot and other junk from getting on my clothes or in my holsters. It is a good time to look for obvious problems as well.

OMO

bosco

VIP Member
    i voted no.

As others have said, your definitions are reversed.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Excessive cleaning will wear out a gun. Especially guns that have lots of alloy parts.
    ??? Are you using abrasives to clean your guns?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i voted no.

no...field stripping is the kind of cleaning you would do "in the field"...light disassembly....

disassembly...or detail cleaning would be a teardown to get to the nitty gritty...

and no...i dont clean mine often at all...i may go to the range 2 or 3 times before a cleaning...300-600 rounds...or i might sit down on the lanai and enjoy a little outside air while i polish em up...the oil is still there and the grease i use on the rails is still in place when i take em down...the actions work smoothly and i have never had a malfunction...

i voted no.

As everyone else stated, you've got it backwards. Field stripping a gun is a basic strip down to allow cleaning and lubing the critical parts in the field. Whether you actually do it at home or in the field doesn't really matter. Disassembling (detail stripping) is stripping the gun down further to access the small parts.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links