Field Strip Everytime??

This is a discussion on Field Strip Everytime?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty ??? Are you using abrasives to clean your guns? Nope. Note the plurality of my experience is military in nature, and ...

View Poll Results: Completely Field Strip and Clean Everytime you shoot?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

170 67.46%
  • NO

82 32.54%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Field Strip Everytime??

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ??? Are you using abrasives to clean your guns?
    Nope. Note the plurality of my experience is military in nature, and the typical Joe goes/is forced to go way overboard in making his arms "inspection ready". With a steel cleaning rod, and the wrong tools to clean, to boot.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I field strip and thoroughly clean my guns any time they are fired. My EDC gets field striped, wiped down and re-lubed every two weeks if not fired.

About once a year I'll completely break each pistol down (this is more than a field strip), doing a thorough cleaning and inspection of every part.
    My MO is EXACTLY like this....
    Whether it's 6 rounds or 60...or 600....the gun gets cleaned after EVERY use....and detail-stripped annually.....

Quote Originally Posted by subcompact04 View Post
    OK NEXT QUESTION.... during the warmer months of the year when you cc how often do you give a wipe down-fieldstrip... everytime you get home... everytime you sweat profusely... once a week... everyother day... i carry a SA xdsc-9 I just got my cca and havnt had the chance to carry while its been real warm... its been in the 80's for the past few weeks here in missouri but nothing swealtering...
    Just be sure to at least remove the weapon from holster when you get home so it can dry....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Thumbs up

OK NEXT QUESTION.... during the warmer months of the year when you cc how often do you give a wipe down-fieldstrip... everytime you get home... everytime you sweat profusely...
    No wipe-down is generally needed after every single carry, for me. But, yes, whenever there are signs of sweat, humidity or rain, or I have been overheated during the day, I absolutely wipe down the carry gun with a silicone cloth at least.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Part of my break-in process is to evaluate how well a gun can survive shooting while dirty. If I don't know the limits, I feel I don't know the gun well.
    I feel the same way. I have friends who always put a couple of drops of oil/CLP down the slide rails before starting a range session. Personally, I want to see how my guns would perform as if I needed them right NOW. Especially my carry pieces. They come straight out of my pocket/IWB holster for the first round of firing. I don't care if it's been one week or months since the last time they'd been cleaned/lubed. I use a light grease so it should stay put and not dry up or run out the of gun when carried. I have not been wrong yet...

Senior Moderator
    I don't know if you should strip your firearms down everytime but I do, not because I feel that I have too but because I like too
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    They come straight out of my pocket/IWB holster for the first round of firing. I don't care if it's been one week or months since the last time they'd been cleaned/lubed. I use a light grease so it should stay put and not dry up or run out the of gun when carried. I have not been wrong yet...
    I usually do this, as well. Like you, I want to know what it's capable of.

During my break-in periods, I stress the ammo, to find what the gun likes and dislikes. Ideally, I end up finding the perfect ammo and knowing why it runs better. Likewise, I do the same thing with cleaning and lubrication, to better know where the gun's weak points are. Once I'm carrying it, I know better what I've got and how it will likely perform ... at all times, in all conditions.

Better to know it than to be surprised, IMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Three times? Isn't that a little OCD/excessive?
    That is actually what I was taught by my Gunnery Sergeant when in the Navy CBs. After firing blanks and live ammo on our field exercises, then cleaning it, you would think that the gun couldn't get any cleaner, but the next day, it didn't look like you did anything at all! PROLLY JUST THE GUNNY MAKING US CLEAN A DIFFERENT M16 EACH DAY!!
    Now this may be because of the 1980's era cleaning products we had at the time, but even with Gunzilla, I have seen this happen. Of course with GZ it is practically sterilized afterwards!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I shoot glocks, so I voted no.

For piece of mind I make sure to clean my gun after shooting it. I just feel better knowing that my gun is clean and lubricated at all times - after all it is my EDC and I want it to perform when I need it to.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Administrator
    I keep my daily carry gun immaculate.

My range guns and especially my other 1911s...if I am going to shoot them again soon then I wipe the exterior with a slightly oily rag & I pop the gun into a Zip Loc bag with a couple of these:
    RUST BLOX VAPOR TABS (available from Brownell's)
    BROWNELLS : RUST-BLOX VAPOR TABS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

When I'm ready to shoot that gun again I give it a quick habitual "look over" - and check for bore obstruction - pop a little oil on the rails & I'm good to go again.

Never any rust or corrosion problems.

I used to clean my guns constantly but, I am just too busy these days.
    The Vapor Tabs effectively put my guns into limbo and block any possible rust or corrosion.
    After I have that gun out 3 or 4 times I'll throughly clean it.

It works for me.

Field Strip everytime??

I run 3-5K rounds thru all of my Glocks every year. I tear them down and clean them in Simple Green when I clean them. That also includes my 1911 style pistols. Same treatment. Works great and is Green Frendly.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Yes, everytime I shoot, If not used in a couple of weeks it gets field stripped and cleaned anyway.
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

I do, but you probably don't have to. Even on my Glocks, if I fire 1 magazine I clean them up. Not as thoroughly as my 1911, but I still give them a quick scrub down the barrel and a wipe down and lube.

OK NEXT QUESTION.... during the warmer months of the year when you cc how often do you give a wipe down-fieldstrip... everytime you get home... everytime you sweat profusely... once a week... everyother day... i carry a SA xdsc-9 I just got my cca and havnt had the chance to carry while its been real warm... its been in the 80's for the past few weeks here in missouri but nothing swealtering...
    If a gun is left unfired I take it apart and give it a once over. Making sure to remove any dust particles and lube it up and wipe down the exterior. I do this twice a month to any firearm that I'm not using. Now when it comes to my carry gun, I wipe it down daily but only strip it twice a month for lube.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links