Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts - Page 2

Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jackle1886 I have about 175 flawless rounds through my PM9. The recoil is substantially less than my .38 snub. It was quite ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I have about 175 flawless rounds through my PM9. The recoil is substantially less than my .38 snub. It was quite a bit less than I expected. Great gun, you won't be disappointed.
    Agree 100 % Much less recoil than my S&W bodyguard, and not much different than my G-26, 300 rds and no problems.

BUY !

Great price on a great gun. I have a PM9, and it is my EDC. I had trouble with it early on, and sent it in to Kahr. There customer service was excellent, and sent my an extra magazine for my trouble. The gun has been flawless ever since. I've got between 1000-1500 rounds through it.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Great price on a great gun. I have a PM9, and it is my EDC. I had trouble with it early on, and sent it in to Kahr. There customer service was excellent, and sent my an extra magazine for my trouble. The gun has been flawless ever since. I've got between 1000-1500 rounds through it.
    I totally agree with you, Kahr’s customer service is excellent. I contacted them several times before and after I getting mine, and they were always great. No to talk about the guys in technical support; they really are amazing
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Just realized how bad I butchered my post with misspellings. My apologies. :)
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

my opinion of kahr is overpriced and undercapacity,much better and more reliable guns out there from makers with well deserved reps. QC is kinda hit or miss although i do really like their all stainless pistols. I'd stick with Sig,Glock,HK,Beretta,S&W etc. I think your money would be better spent even if the gun is a bit thicker

Quote Originally Posted by Klash545 View Post
    I'd stick with Sig,Glock,HK,Beretta,S&W etc. I think your money would be better spent even if the gun is a bit thicker
    - They're not just thicker, they're also larger and in a lot of cases, much heavier.

My PM9 has been flawless (a little less than 200 rounds so far) and it is fun to carry and shoot. Would get one again and not look back. I am a small female and do not have any problem with its recoil.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I've shot a lot of different pistols. For a single stack 9mm, the Kahr PM9 is the best I've shot. I have a Glock 22 and 27 and they are nice but they are a lot heavier and double stack.

I just sold my KelTec PF9 and it was a piece of crap, jammed (no exaggeration) every 3 to 4 shots. I cleaned, buffed, fluffed, and everything in between to that PF9 and it would jam like no tomorrow.

I tested the PM9 with 5 different +P ammos and limp wristed it and it just would not jam

The PM9 is my primary CCW gun....

my opinion of kahr is overpriced and undercapacity,much better and more reliable guns out there from makers with well deserved reps. QC is kinda hit or miss although i do really like their all stainless pistols. I'd stick with Sig,Glock,HK,Beretta,S&W etc. I think your money would be better spent even if the gun is a bit thicker
    Are you kidding me? Kahrs are purpose built guns for CCW. If you want a larger, high capacity gun there are many choices. If you want a micro compact automatic, in a acceptable caliber, with a reasonable mag capacity then you are left with a $1200 R9 or a $600-800 PM9. You gain 2 rounds over a J-Frame snub nose revolver, with a better trigger, and sights (CTC laser grips do even this out though). Infact when you put a PM9 and a 642 next to each other the PM9 is shorter and narrower.

Kahr's do what they do better than anyone else. Sure they have problems, just like any other gun, but you will find no equal in size and firepower for CCW. I attribute some of these reported issues with owners failing to read the manual and using the slide release instead of slingshotting, not breaking the gun in for 200 rounds, and limp wristing.

Speaking of QC have you seen the newer offerings from Sig? I would hardly use those as good examples, guns dead out of the box, bad triggers, loose sights, roll marks, etc etc.

Yep, what he said ^^
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

sorry you're all hurt about me not recommending kahr,but they just don't have the same track record. so what if it's a little heavier and a little bigger....hit the gym or something,maybe get a good belt. and i know every gun has issues including the top names....but they also sell more guns so of course the numbers will be different. wahhh wahhh i know what cohen is doing at sig sucks,what he did at kimber sucked. and 200rds is hardly anything.....being "flawless" at 200rds is like saying you're a doctor when you just applied to get into medical school. i put a lot more than that through a pistol before i declare it anything,but hey, it's your life. i like the guns but there are better guns out there,i'm sorry but you can't compare a kahr to a higher quality mfgr.

sorry you're all hurt about me not recommending kahr,but they just don't have the same track record.
    - Who's hurt about your opinion? You don't recommend Kahr? There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of Kahr owners who have had positive experiences.

so what if it's a little heavier and a little bigger....hit the gym or something,maybe get a good belt.
    - I have a Beltman belt and own a Glock 19, Kahr MK9, Kahr PM9. I carried a Glock 27 for 5 years before switching to a Kahr MK9 and then a PM9. I simply don't like the weight of the Glock for carry and the thickness doesn't fit with the way I dress. Which is the reason I carry the Kahr PM9 most of the time.

and 200rds is hardly anything.....being "flawless" at 200rds is like saying you're a doctor when you just applied to get into medical school. i put a lot more than that through a pistol before i declare it anything,but hey, it's your life. i like the guns but there are better guns out there,i'm sorry but you can't compare a kahr to a higher quality mfgr.
    - I have shot close to 4000 rounds out of my MK9, 1500 rounds out of my PM9. Both guns have been 100% flawless. Is that enough of a track record for me to comment on their quality?

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    Are you kidding me? Kahrs are purpose built guns for CCW.
    Sure, Kahrs are purpose-built for CCW.

But everything said above is a fact.

• In comparison to many other examples, both are relatively overpriced. Check the market's offerings with "purpose-built" defensive carry pistols of relatively high concealability.
    • 6rd and 7rd capacity isn't very high. There are, indeed, other choices with considerably higher capacity, in this category.
    • Reliability is an earned thing. Any mechanical device designed and built by humans can fail. But reputations for reliability come from their performance over time. Kahr is earning its rep through the K9, P9, CW9. Those tend to be highly reliable. But as with many other sub-compact and micro-compact makers on the market (witness nearly any 3" bbl 1911 mfr out there), reliability's tough when you shrink the gun. It's also earning rep via the PM's.
    • QC is hit or miss. Many examples of both PM9's and P380's that I have seen and handled vary quite considerably in terms of the amount of roughness, tool marks and other imperfections visible from gun to gun. (And that's not on just a couple examples.) In terms of reliability, it's either design flaws or QC failing to eliminate or catch fitting/tuning errors. Call it QC, since that should catch even design flaws that would cause double-digit failures in operation.
    • Though it's a judgment call, it's easy to argue that money is better spent on a device known for high reliability. If it does work better, that's money better spent.

In my experience with two of three Kahrs I have owned, the minis (PM9 and P380) have been flawed. The above issues were facts, on these two. Many other people have reported the same thing, despite many folks who report "flawless" behavior on the PM's. It is what it is.

To be fair, I have a Kahr CW9 and love it. It's reliable, accurate, capable of handling any rounds I feed it. Of the few K9 and P9 pistols I know of in the hands of friends, they've all performed extremely well. Of the few PM9's I know of personally, good percentage of them are less than reliable.

Now, it's fine to call something "purpose-built," but if that's the case then there should be more care in the design and QC in order to ensure that a tough package is good enough to pass muster. I mean, we're speaking of relying upon a life-saving device at a moment that comes down to life and death. If a defensive pistol cannot be relied upon for defensive use, then what's its use?

I'm all for working through the problems on the P380. Did on the PM9, but I'd lost confidence before all was said and done. We'll see how this P380 goes. I hope Kahr can find the music, 'cause the P380 I have isn't worthy (yet) as a defensive tool.

In the sense you probably mean by the phrase "purpose-built," I'm also all for giving Kahr the opportunity to prove itself. Which is why I sent the PM9 back and saw what they could do, and why the P380's back in their hands. Reality is, my STI Shadow is back at STI for flawed cycling, and that's with a firm with a heavy reputation for reliability and durability earned over the better part of two decades of hard IPDC/IDPA competitive use. More than anything, I hope these "purpose-built" carry machines can come through. It's a matter of life or death that they work, if they're to be with me when it matters.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

my opinion of kahr is overpriced and undercapacity
    Then FIND US a better pocket carry or ultra hideout gun in 9mm for under $600, okay? Undercapacity? 6+1 and two spare mags gives me 19 rounds of +p 9mm. If I can't "git-R-dun" with that, it's not my day with ANY handgun...

My 2005 "older" VA9XXXX serial PM9 is running great and coming up on 1500 rounds. Just now thinking about changing the recoil assembly. Not because of malfunctions, but "just because". I have shot so many different types of ammo that I don't even worry about the brand. I just buy whatever is available.

Great pistol and I got mine brand new for $525. I front pocket carry it every day.

I have a new PM9 and put 200 flawless rounds through it. If it continues to be reliable which I expect it to do, it will become my EDC for summer anyway. I purchased it with Night sights and have added the CT laser as well. Nice little package. I don't worry so much about saving a few bucks. I buy what I feel will work for me and I will carry every day which is the most important factor. After CCW for a while slim and light becomes very important.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links