Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts

Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, Looking to make my first pistola purchase. I'd like a Karh PM9 and an acquaintance friend of mine (and a dealer) has one ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts

Kahr PM9 Price Thoughts

Hello all,

Looking to make my first pistola purchase. I'd like a Karh PM9 and an acquaintance friend of mine (and a dealer) has one for $550 out the door. It's the matte silver finish with 2 mags and original box.

Thoughts?

GM
    That is a very good price if it is a NIB PM9; I should buy it directly. If it is not new, then I guess it depends of the pistol. I have a MK9; it is a very good firearm and very easy to conceal. However, I am not sure that it is the best first firearm you can get. The PM9 has the same size and it is very good too, but since it is very lightweight the recoil is sharper. Some people consider that the PM9's recoil is a little too much. If it is possible, I should recommend you to try one before buying it. It is very important that you read the manual and follow the instructions there; otherwise you might have problems with the PM9.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It's not NIB, it's a used firearm.

Will it be any more snappy than a G27 .40?

Get it, it has probably not even been broke in.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Very good price. Buy it now. If its new.
    I do not consider The PM9 to have a harsh recoil Evan with +p
    I bought one for hot weather and it has become my #1 carry gun.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut330 View Post

I cannot tell about the G27 because I never shot one, but I can tell you that the PM9 is much snappier than the MK9. Personally, I do not have problems shooting the PM9, but many people do. Now, not all the people feel the recoil in the same way. I really like the PM9 and I will be getting one soon, but again, not everybody like the recoil. The best should be if you could try one before buying it.

If is not NIB, $550 can be a good price or a bad price depending of the pistol’s shape. Last time I checked it you could get a NIB out of the door for about $670. In any case, have in mind that the Kahr PM9 is not a pistol that you just shoot once in a while and then you can master it. I really like the Kahr MK9 and PM9 very much, but I do not consider that they are the best first firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Get it, it has probably not even been broke in.
    I am sorry but I have to disagree with you, I should not just go after “it has probably not even been broke in.” But since Wingnut330 says that his friend is selling it then it should be different.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I cannot tell about the G27 because I never shot one, but I can tell you that the PM9 is much snappier than the MK9. Personally, I do not have problems shooting the PM9, but many people do. Now, not all the people feel the recoil in the same way. I really like the PM9 and I will be getting one soon, but again, not all everybody like the recoil. The best should be if you could try one before buying it.
    I wasn't tying to be snarky - I just happened to spend all day Sunday shooting IDPA with a G27 .40 and found it very comfortable and not too snappy, so I was just trying to compare.

I'm trying to find a nice conceal gun that is also fun to shoot.

If I were in the market for a Kahr PM9, I would seek out someone who had (a) purchased a PM9 new and (b) experienced > 2000rds of flawless behavior from the pistol with a variety of rounds.

Why? My experience with a PM9 was, shall we say, sub-standard in the reliability department. My P380 is also behaving badly, with about 17% of rounds failing to cycle for a variety of reasons, even after 600rds. That isn't to say you will experience finicky behavior. It's merely to say that I did, and am.

Now, many people report good behavior from these. But given the number of people I have spoken to who have experienced finicky PM9's, my recommendation would be to purchase USED from someone who had whipped the living daylights out of the pistol and can document good behavior. Else, you might well be rolling the dice on reliability.

BTW, NIB and LNIB PM9's have been recently going for $500-525 on GunBroker.com fairly frequently.

My $0.02.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GM
    I wasn't tying to be snarky - I just happened to spend all day Sunday shooting IDPA with a G27 .40 and found it very comfortable and not too snappy, so I was just trying to compare.

Do not worry, you were not snarky at all. It is just that I cannot tell you about the G27 because I never have shot one; although I own a G19 I am not a Glock guy. If you shoot IDPA with a .40 then you should not have any problems with the PM9. Although I am a SA guy I really like Kahrs; after the break-in period (about 200 rounds) my MK9 has worked flawless, and it has about 3500-4000 rounds on it. However, I shoot only Federal American Eagle and Corbon DPX. And like I said before, I will be getting an PM9 soon. If you get one remember to read the manual and follow the instructions, then you will love the PM9.
    Last edited by GM; April 14th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.

I have about 175 flawless rounds through my PM9. The recoil is substantially less than my .38 snub. It was quite a bit less than I expected. Great gun, you won't be disappointed.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

GM

I think that the PM9 is funny to shoot with standard ammo (I am talking about long range visits), but not with +p ammo. The PM9 that I shot always worked flawless; I used the same ammo than in my MK9. My range ammo is FAE 115gr and 124gr, and the SD ammo is Corbon DPX 115gr.

- I own the Glock 27 (just sold it to a friend), Kahr MK9 and Kahr PM9. The Kahr PM9 is snappy with +P ammunition, but it's still a lot less than the Glock 27. The MK9 has even less recoil due to it's weight.

The PM9's I hear about nowadays seems to have nothing but good reports. For that price out the door for a used gun is a decent price. You won't be disappointed. BTW, does it have night sights?
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

I had a G27...hated the recoil and sold it, I have a PPS in 40 that is fine so no problems with the round, the G27 just didnt fit me.

I have a PM9 and to me, the recoil is non existant...love it....so yes, much easier than a G27.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

GM
    Check this video. It is a Nutnfancy's review of the PM9; it might help you a little.

YouTube - Kahr PM9 Review: Ideal Carry Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    The PM9's I hear about nowadays seems to have nothing but good reports. For that price out the door for a used gun is a decent price. You won't be disappointed. BTW, does it have night sights?
    I agree with you. It looks like it was older PM9s that had problems but the newer ones work flawless. That is one of the reason because before buying a used gun he should check how old it is; other reason is the guaranty. It is very easy to find out how old a Kahr is; just call or email the serial number to them and they will tell you exactly how old the firearms is. There is a serial list at Kahr Serial Number History - Glock Talk , but I do not trust things from the Internet too much, for that reason I prefer to ask direct to Kahr.
    Last edited by GM; April 14th, 2010 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links