Defensive Carry banner

Kahr P9 / CW9: any back to back shooting experience?

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  crzy4guns 
#1 ·
I see the specs difference (barrel type, materials and finishing, extra mag).

Has anyone shot these side by side and really compared the details of the differences in feel or accuracy, quality of shooting, etc.

#5 ·
P9 Vs. CW9

I have a CW9. I have shot a PM9, and MK9 pistols in addition to the CW9. The differences between the P9 and my CW9 appear to be:

1. Sights, and how they are are mounted on the pistol, the front sight on the CW9 is pinned and both sights are slotted on the P9.

2. Over all length, although the barrels are the same length, 3.6 inches the over all length of the P9 is 5.8 inches. The CW9 is 5.9 inches.

3. Rifling, the P9 is polygonal, the CW9 is standard rifling.

4. Weight, the P9 weighs 15 ounces, while the CW9 is 15.8 ounces.

The price difference was a factor for me. My CW9 was $425, before I bought two spare magazine, a two magazine holder and several inexpensive holsters. With the exception of spare magazines I would be making these purchases for either pistol. And I must admit I do not have the holster situation resolved to my satisfaction.

The CW9 is my sixth center fire pistol. And it has become my favored carry gun. It is a well designed and manufactured pistol.

-- Richard

#6 ·
I firmly believe that if you were handed these pistols in a sort of "blind" test that you could not tell the difference. The frames are identical to the feel, the weight the same, the action and trigger the same. The P9 offers upgraded stuff, not an entirely different pistol by any stretch.

#8 ·
I've actually shot both and there isn't any difference, except for cosmetics. Frames are the same and, at least for me, the polygonal rifling makes no difference in accuracy at defensive ranges. I actually like the asthetics of the CW9 over the P9. Biggest difference is obviously the cost. Save the extra $150.00 or so and buy ammo to feed it instead. The only upgrade I'm putting on my CW9 is a rear sight from Dawson Precision.

#9 ·
Agree with those above; for purposes of buying a pistol just for CCW, the CW9 is a "best buy" compared to the P9. (I may still get a K9 though just 'cause I think I want one). If you want pretty, their's fancy stuff out there...I own some pretty guns too, but the ugly-ass Kahr CW9 and it's fatter and even uglier distant relative, Mr. Glock 19, are my carry choices for most of the time.

#20 ·
I too have shot both and truly cannot see or feel the difference---P9s are costly in my area and CW-9s are much cheaper to buy---we (me, my wife and my brother) purchased three CW-9 pistols and aside from the "magazine drop" problem (fixed with new mag releases and their springs (supplied free by Kahr) all now run 100% and shot right to point of aim. Slim and lightweight with very fine DAO trigger action, I can recommend them!

#21 ·
CW9

CW9 +1. It really is a great pistol. For CCW I think the constant double action trigger is much easer to master than double/single. Not the same as your duty pistol, but does the job off duty.

-- Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.