My PT709. Help me decide! - Page 2

My PT709. Help me decide!

This is a discussion on My PT709. Help me decide! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Quicksabre Yeah that pic of the 709 next to the deck of cards is tempting...but then I read threads like this. Also, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My PT709. Help me decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Yeah that pic of the 709 next to the deck of cards is tempting...but then I read threads like this. Also, I had the opportunity to handle, not shoot, a Taurus PT92 and a Beretta 92FS side by side, and I don't know what it was exactly, but something didn't feel as good about the Taurus...although the price tag was way better...
    I shot them side by side and used the Beretta in the military..When I got out I bought the TAURUS because I liked it better than the Beretta and its been the ONLY semi auto pistol ive ever had that ran 100%. The ergonomics were better on the Taurus as to the controls.,

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Valid point. I will try to explain why I went with the Taurus.

Let me start off by saying it had nothing to do with the cost. Less expensive is good but it wasn't why I purchased this gun. I purchased this gun because it was the only one that had the specs I wanted.

Single stack under 1 inch thin
    External sasftey
    Adjustable rear sight
    I can hit the mag release with my right hand without changing postion
    Under 22 OZ fully loaded
    Single Action Trigger

If Glock made a single stack I would buy it. Even though I prefer a manual safety, glocks trigger is a good enough that I could get over not having single action.

Bottom line is that Taurus was the only company that made the gun I wanted with the specs I wanted.

Edit - Same goes for my PT145. No one else makes a .45 that small with those specs.
    Agreed, Taurus fortunately makes guns people want in styles and SIZES people want..unfortunately while I have NEVER had a bad Taurus nor know of anyone who has had one personally..they seem to be hot and miss...they either work great or have problems...

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    ...Yeah that pic of the 709 next to the deck of cards is tempting...
    What photo.?

Rollo, if your 709 is finicky on ammo,.. it's finicky on ammo. But that's not normal. Mine will devour anything I feed it, as fast as I can pull the trigger. There are many, many 709 owners that are reportring flawless function. Some at round counts approching 1000.

With that said, perhaps it's time to mitigate your damages and sell or trade the Slim for a more consistent functioning, reliable piece.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I'd trade it in. I just got my 709 back from repair. Took 8 weeks. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I'm not sure how it will work. I had FTE's and the slide would lock back with 1 round left in the mag. They replaced the extractor but did nothing else. I'm curious to see how it will work.

I've decided what to do. I am going to go back to the range next weekend. I am going to purchase 100 rounds of WWB, 50 rounds of something else and 50 rounds of something else. If all 200 rounds feed I'm calling it good and will carry it. If I get a single failure it's getting sold with full disclosure.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm not a Taurus hater but my adivce would be to ditch the 709 Anf take a look at the Walther PPS. It's about the same size and very accurate. I shoot mine better than my full sized M&P. I have over 800 rounds threw mine and only one FTE when my wife was shooting it. I believe it was due to limp wristing.

I would look at WWB, Federal,Blazer,American Eagle and or Remington UMC..other than the WWB my gun works 100% on ALL the others. And I have no problem with your statement thats what Id probably do also...if the Ruger SR9c had had a problem with any of the other ammo id fed to it but WWB id be doing the same thing..but luckily thats the ONLY one it does not agree with :) .

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I'm not a Taurus hater but my adivce would be to ditch the 709 Anf take a look at the Walther PPS. It's about the same size and very accurate. I shoot mine better than my full sized M&P. I have over 800 rounds threw mine and only one FTE when my wife was shooting it. I believe it was due to limp wristing.
    PPS is good..but dont get ripped off they should be in the $585 range NOT the $600+ range I see some people thinking they got a "deal" on at...I can get those at the local mom and pop shop where I got the Ruger SR9c for $403 for $585...possibly less if I ask for a deal because thats their marked price and something they will deal....up the road at Gander Mountain same gun is $700+

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I will second the choice of a Walther PPS, I have one it's a fine weapon.
    I have never had a problem with mine, but if you ever do S&W provides excellent service.

If it functions fine on WWB, then the gun is fine. That is the most common issue ammo with the 709. My 709 has functioned flawless through 800 rounds on everything I throw at it, including WWB. I run a lot of Federal and American Eagle through mine, but have run a lot of others too. If your SD ammo cycles and fires good in it, then that's the main thing. Cheap range ammo is not made at the same tolerances as SD ammo.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Its going to be a pain either way. I would not EVER trust your life with it. You might as well keep sending it back until Taurus (may) can get it close to right. Then, if it works decent...trade it in. I would never buy another Taurus SA gun with the experience I had with my pt745. Taurus has great ideas, they just mass produce the things without proper QC or testing. A company should test prototypes enough to know if certain ammo causes problems, and recommend against the ammo. I dont see the point in risking it , when another $150 can get you a good gun. Anyway...I will stop bashing... good luck.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Cheap range ammo is not made at the same tolerances as SD ammo.
    SAAMI spec is SAAMI spec. IMHO a gun should function properly with any ammo that is within spec.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    Taurus has great ideas, they just mass produce the things without proper QC or testing.
    The only 709 I got to fondle at a gun shop would not drop either of its mags free. You would think a simple issue like that would be discovered by final QC testing before the gun shipped out the factory door. Evidently not, which is a shame.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

You've got nothing to lose by running some ammo experiments.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My 709 is great. I had a problem with failure to extract, but isolated it to the mag. Taurus sent me another mag, in about a week. I took it to the range today and it works like it's supposed to.

I'm a reloader and I try to cut costs by using my own reloads. However, they don't do well in the Taurus. I use PMC and Blazer and it's 100% with the new mag, and the 2nd mag that came with the gun. I've put about 300 rounds through it and I am comfortable carrying the Taurus.

Like the man said, if Glock made a single stack under an inch in width I'd be first in line. Until then, I'll keep my Taurus.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links