My PT709. Help me decide!

This is a discussion on My PT709. Help me decide! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well.... I'll throw in curve for you. I have 3 - 9 mm guns, that will not shoot the saem 3 ammo's without have FTE ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My PT709. Help me decide!

Well.... I'll throw in curve for you.

I have 3 - 9 mm guns, that will not shoot the saem 3 ammo's without have FTE or FTF issues in every magazine..... occassionally. It's the same 3 ammo's on all 3 guns. I have others that will shoot those same ammo's with no issues at all. One is ... anything that is 147 grain. Dont' ask me why, I wish I knew the answer. And, they are 3 of the more expensive guns I have.

Soooo.... I just don't shoot nor keep those 3 ammo's ... for any of my guns in 9mm. Problem solved. It shoots all of the other's I throw at them.

Some guns, don't like ... some ammo's. Others may shoot the same ammo with the same model gun and not have an issue. When and if you figure that one out, write a book and make millions.

It's one of the reasons you will hear most people say, "try lots of different ammo in your gun and see which one's it likes" ... and..... always practice shoot any ammo you plan to have in a carry gun before you carry it, so you know it will shoot that ammo reliably. If your gun seems to like 80% of the types of ammo you try, then shoot ammo of that type.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    PPS is good..but dont get ripped off they should be in the $585 range NOT the $600+ range I see some people thinking they got a "deal" on at...I can get those at the local mom and pop shop where I got the Ruger SR9c for $403 for $585...possibly less if I ask for a deal because thats their marked price and something they will deal....up the road at Gander Mountain same gun is $700+
    I couldn't agree more on the price issue. I paid $540 for mine and it's worth it. I've seen them for as much as $725 and there is no way they are worth that.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Interesting thread. I would say shoot some more ammo, especially the stuff that works & what you plan/want to carry in it. If you're not having any issues with those, then I'd say the gun's good to go. Some guns are finicky, some aren't. If it was a 1911, it seems to me people wouldn't think anything of it, but that is IF it's just the ammo.

As to why the Taurus PT709 not one of the Kahr's as one member posted, that's simple. The Kahr is nice, but the trigger, while nice, isn't that light & the reset's not so short. It reminds me of my S&W 442.

I am amazed at how well my PT709 point shoots & feels in my hand, as well as how nice it carries. I don't use the external safety myself, but it's there if one feels the need for it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    SAAMI spec is SAAMI spec. IMHO a gun should function properly with any ammo that is within spec.
    Perhaps they should, but they don't. Read Eagleks post above. Personally, I have 11 handguns (including a 709) and I've never had a single FTF or FTE with any of them...with any ammo. The only thing I can attribute my very unusual luck in this arena to is I am OCD about cleaning and maintenance and I only shoot quality factory ammo.

I am also OCD about maintaining my cars with quality oil, filters, and gasoline. There are certain brands of gas that I will not run in my cars. They should all be the same (they all meet the same standards), but they aren't. There is a reason why automotive sports professionals do not run average pump gas in their performance vehicles...there's a difference.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The repair sheet I got back from Taurus stated they did 2 things to the pistol.

Problem Found - Firearm DirtyResolution - Adjusted
    Problem Found - Extractor Resolution - Replaced.
    This is the single largest issue with these small 9mms. They require meticulous cleaning. This can also cause issues with the extractor. They collect brass under them and if not cleaned out regularly can cause major problems. When cleaning, just take a very small screw driver and run it under the extractor lightly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    SAAMI spec is SAAMI spec. IMHO a gun should function properly with any ammo that is within spec.
    Yes but that doesn't have anything to do with the type of components used or the overall quality of a round either. Ball powder vs flake, FMJ vs TMJ, brass vs nickle, HP HS BT RN SZ SST FTX XTP..... on and on and on and on...

SAAMI gives industry specifications AND pressures to (pardon the pun) shoot for in a particular caliber.
    Last edited by razor02097; April 15th, 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: meant to say "and" not for
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought SAAMI also set standards for the dimensions of cartridges? If a cartridge and gun are both within spec, they should work together.

Of course, sometimes individual components can be within spec - but one can be on the high end, and the other on the low end. In such a case, the "spread" can be too great, causing functional issues.

With the current ammo situation, I don't tolerate guns that are picky about ammo - unless I know it is just one particular brand. In that case, I will blame the ammo.

I just know the revolver guys love these threads...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Honestly, I would carry a SP101 with the three inch barrell in a freaking heart beat if it was about 4 ounces lighter.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    Honestly, I would carry a SP101 with the three inch barrell in a freaking heart beat if it was about 4 ounces lighter.
    Whats the Cylinder width on the 101..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought SAAMI also set standards for the dimensions of cartridges? If a cartridge and gun are both within spec, they should work together.

Of course, sometimes individual components can be within spec - but one can be on the high end, and the other on the low end. In such a case, the "spread" can be too great, causing functional issues.

With the current ammo situation, I don't tolerate guns that are picky about ammo - unless I know it is just one particular brand. In that case, I will blame the ammo.

And I didn't say and.... I meant and pressures. Still they only publish the standards it is up to the company to abide by them or not. Foreign ammo manufacturers may not have to.
    Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Whats the Cylinder width on the 101..?
    I am trying to find that out at the moment. Seriously considering switching to one at this point. Autos are getting on my nerves...

Edit - 1.349 for the cylinder and .744 at the thickest part of the frame.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    LOL, I am trying to find that out at the moment. Seriously considering swithing to one at this point. Auto are getting on my nerves...
    We're in the same boat. I've ALWAYS carried an auto. Carried a Gov. 1911 for 5 years before Colt came out with the Officer's model. The only revolver I've ever owned was a nickle S&W 29 with 8 3/8" tube. I currently carry a 709 Slim and I'm happy with the firepower, concealability and reliability of the piece. The little sumbish is as light as a feather.

But recently I've had a relentless urge (more like the type of profound craving a pregnant woman gets for chocolate ice cream at 3 in the morning) to carry a vintage snubbie. There's something extremely cool about that, but the Cylinder width may pose a problem.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    We're in the same boat. I've ALWAYS carried an auto. Carried a Gov. 1911 for 5 years before Colt came out with the Officer's model. The only revolver I've ever owned was a nickle S&W 29 with 8 3/8" tube. I currently carry a 709 Slim and I'm happy with the firepower, concealability and reliability of the piece. The little sumbish is as light as a feather.

But recently I've had a relentless urge (more like the type of profound craving a pregnant woman gets for chocolate ice cream at 3 in the morning) to carry a vintage snubbie. There's something extremely cool about that, but the Cylinder width may pose a problem.
    I'm interested in the how the cylinder width would actually carry. The reason why thin is so important to me is that I am a thin athletic build. If I wear clothes that are one size larger for the purpose of concealing I look VERY sloppy so I am stuck with clothes that fit in turn meaning I am stuck with thin guns. The thing is I'm not sure if the same would hold true for a revolver because only a small portion of the gun is "thick" as opposed to the whole gun being thick.

I'm interested in the how the cylinder width would actually carry. The reason why thin is so important to me is that I am a thin athletic build. If I wear clothes that are one size larger for the purpose of concealing I look VERY sloppy so I am stuck with clothes that fit in turn meaning I am stuck with thin guns. The thing is I'm not sure if the same would hold true for a revolver because only a small portion of the gun is "thick" as opposed to the whole gun being thick.
    Simple....eat more Ice Cream!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I am trying to find that out at the moment. Seriously considering switching to one at this point. Autos are getting on my nerves...
    I know how you feel. My experiences with Kahr almost made me a revolver guy - I recently sold my SP101 snubbie that I bought after that experience. While reliable, I was never comfortable with only 5 shots and a slow reload.

Glock restored my faith in semi-autos. Yes, they are a bit thicker than a 709, but reliable as gravity - and I think the grip on a G26 is shorter than a 709 (going on memory here).

There just seems to be something very hit-or-miss with the quality of the currently available thin, light 9mm pistols. Maybe the 9mm cartridge is just too high-pressure once you get below a certain slide/pistol weight. I dunno...

Another option is the Ruger LCP, though it is a .380. We have two, and they have been very reliable - with the sole exception of not feeding PowRBall well. Once the sharp corner under the feed ramp gets smoothed out by firing, it would probably feed that also - but I decided against it anyway because it is light weight (only 70 gr) for the caliber. FMJ (all brands I've tried) and Hornady Critical Defense ammo feeds great.

Anyway - I feel your pain.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links