My PT709. Help me decide! - Page 4

My PT709. Help me decide!

This is a discussion on My PT709. Help me decide! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn I know how you feel. My experiences with Kahr almost made me a revolver guy - I recently sold my SP101 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I know how you feel. My experiences with Kahr almost made me a revolver guy - I recently sold my SP101 snubbie that I bought after that experience. While reliable, I was never comfortable with only 5 shots and a slow reload.

Glock restored my faith in semi-autos. Yes, they are a bit thicker than a 709, but reliable as gravity - and I think the grip on a G26 is shorter than a 709 (going on memory here).

I actually considered a glock 26. Unfortuanetly that extra quarter of a inch of width really does make a big difference in concealiblity for me. I borrowed a buddies and his super tuck and I just couldnt pull it off with only a t-shirt as cover.

I feel ya on the five shot thing. It's plenty for engaging one target but anything over that gets dicey. I'm not sure if I could get used to the capacity.

Basically, glock needs to come out with the glock 13.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Once the Boberg XR9S has been out for a while, I may cough up the bucks for it - if the feedback is good.

Maybe the answer is to carry two revolvers...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

One more thing - while the Supertuck is a nice holster, it is BIG. I recently ordered a tuckable "Pretender" IWB holster from Holsters, gun holsters, shoulder holsters, concealed carry holsters, handgun shoulder holsters. I had them make it with a 15 degree FBI cant. It conceals my G26 really well, and I do not need to buy bigger pants.

BUT...my "love handles" press into the grip something fierce, and it gets uncomfortable after a few hours. You said you are slim, so that should not be an issue for you. You may want to check it out - the holster is nylon, but very very thin.

It's my $50 incentive to lose some weight.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I actually considered a glock 26. Unfortuanetly that extra quarter of a inch of width really does make a big difference in concealiblity for me. I borrowed a buddies and his super tuck and I just couldnt pull it off with only a t-shirt as cover.

I feel ya on the five shot thing. It's plenty for engaging one target but anything over that gets dicey. I'm not sure if I could get used to the capacity.

Basically, glock needs to come out with the glock 13.
    I completely understand where you're coming from on that. For yrs I carried a S&W 442 off-duty & as a BUG. I believe it's thinner than the Ruger SP101 in the cylinder area, but it's also a 5-shot.

Another choice could be Ruger's new LCR, which I believe is even thinner than the 442/642, etc.

I still prefer autos, but small revolvers do seem to carry very well because the rest of the gun is very thin & typically, not as "blockie" as an auto, either.

Good luck & hope your next trip to the range shows that the 709 shoots everything.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I completely understand where you're coming from on that. For yrs I carried a S&W 442 off-duty & as a BUG. I believe it's thinner than the Ruger SP101 in the cylinder area, but it's also a 5-shot.

Another choice could be Ruger's new LCR, which I believe is even thinner than the 442/642, etc.

I still prefer autos, but small revolvers do seem to carry very well because the rest of the gun is very thin & typically, not as "blockie" as an auto, either.

Good luck & hope your next trip to the range shows that the 709 shoots everything.
    If the 709 fails me on my next range trip I think I am going to go with a Kahr CW9. If the CW9 doesnt work out I think it will be SP101 time. I would rather have 5 rounds of .357 that I can count on rain or shin e VS 8 rounds of 9mm that I'm rolling the dice on.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm interested in the how the cylinder width would actually carry. The reason why thin is so important to me is that I am a thin athletic build. If I wear clothes that are one size larger for the purpose of concealing I look VERY sloppy so I am stuck with clothes that fit in turn meaning I am stuck with thin guns. The thing is I'm not sure if the same would hold true for a revolver because only a small portion of the gun is "thick" as opposed to the whole gun being thick.
    Rollo, I bought a SP101 a few months ago and it has quickly become my most carried handgun. It actually carries better than anything else in an IWB holster. The cylinder actually rides below the belt and the thinnest part of the frame rides between the body and belt (which is much thinner than most semis). The grip rides just above the belt and is hardly noticable at all. I was quite surprised.

One thing with having 5 shots of .357 is if you hit someone with one shot, it's likely the only one it will take. You can read the ballistics in other threads, but for me the .357 magnum is one of the best SD rounds out there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    One thing with having 5 shots of .357 is if you hit someone with one shot, it's likely the only one it will take. You can read the ballistics in other threads, but for me the .357 magnum is one of the best SD rounds out there.
    Maybe...and maybe not. The .357 Mag has a well earned reputation from service length revolvers. In a snubbie, the extra powder gets you a lot of flash and bang, but not much more ooomf than a .38 Spl +P. There are also accounts of folks taking numerous .357 hits, and still coming. Then there's the extra recoil, and slower follow-up shots.

NO handgun is a really effective man stopper. The most highly regarded manstopper out there is generally considered to be the shotgun, firing buckshot. Buckshot is nothing more sophisticated than a bunch of round lead balls, that all happen to arrive at the same time. A handgun - any handgun - is merely an "incremental shotgun" that takes numerous pulls of the trigger to achieve what a buckshot shell can do with one trigger pull. The problem with revolvers is that you don't get many trigger pulls before you're empty, and they're slow to reload.

Carry whatever you wish - all handguns are a compromise in one way or another. Just don't be lulled into thinking that one shot from a "magnum" is necessarily going to stop a determined attacker.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Rollo, I bought a SP101 a few months ago and it has quickly become my most carried handgun. It actually carries better than anything else in an IWB holster. The cylinder actually rides below the belt and the thinnest part of the frame rides between the body and belt (which is much thinner than most semis). The grip rides just above the belt and is hardly noticable at all. I was quite surprised.

Even if I don't end up buying a sp101 to carry I think I am probably going to buy one just for the fact that I want a wheel gun. If theres 2 things I think every American gun owner should have in their collection it's a wheel gun and a 1911 :)

Administrator
    SP101's are awesome.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Maybe...and maybe not. The .357 Mag has a well earned reputation from service length revolvers. In a snubbie, the extra powder gets you a lot of flash and bang, but not much more ooomf than a .38 Spl +P. There are also accounts of folks taking numerous .357 hits, and still coming. Then there's the extra recoil, and slower follow-up shots.

NO handgun is a really effective man stopper. The most highly regarded manstopper out there is generally considered to be the shotgun, firing buckshot. Buckshot is nothing more sophisticated than a bunch of round lead balls, that all happen to arrive at the same time. A handgun - any handgun - is merely an "incremental shotgun" that takes numerous pulls of the trigger to achieve what a buckshot shell can do with one trigger pull. The problem with revolvers is that you don't get many trigger pulls before you're empty, and they're slow to reload.

Carry whatever you wish - all handguns are a compromise in one way or another. Just don't be lulled into thinking that one shot from a "magnum" is necessarily going to stop a determined attacker.
    Any gun is a comprimise of some sort or another or there would be only one. For me, my opinion, I'm more comfortable with 5 357s out of a snub than 7 380s. That's just me. I've seen the difference in a 38 +P and. 357 mag both 158 gr out of the same 2" bbl SP101 on steel plate targets from 11 yards. There's more happening on the impact end than just more flash and kick on the bang end. It's not scientific, but the impact on the plate was significantly different. Double taps with the SP101 with 357 are no more difficult than with +P out of my airweight 442.

Sorry, deleted double post from above.
    Last edited by BugDude; April 16th, 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: delete double post

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    heck even if it is 9 rounds of .25 it is better then the gun in the safe at home.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Very true. Carry what you can and will.

I am trying to find that out at the moment. Seriously considering switching to one at this point. Autos are getting on my nerves...

Edit - 1.349 for the cylinder and .744 at the thickest part of the frame.
    I can CC my Taurus CH85 snubby MUCH easier than I can most semi autos. And if its possible...get the Ruger LCR or at least try it and see what the trigger pull is like compared to every other semi auto you will pick up..I LOVE that revolver! Im about 5'10" 155 pounds. and I can carry a revolver well..heck how about one of those new .327's with the 6-7 shots?? :) then your right up there with some of the slim semi autos as far as capacity goes...

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-632CCP.htm

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    heck how about one of those new .327's with the 7 shots?? :) then your right up there with some of the slim semi autos as far as capacity goes...
    I don't think ruger makes the SP in a 7 shot .327. I think thats the GP series. I had considered the 6 shot SP101 in .327 but I have decided against it because the ammo isn't real common around here and my dad reloads .38 which means cheap practice ammo but not .32.

Edit - I just looked up .327 on ammution to go's website and they have a massive 1 brand. That scares me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links