Finally pulled the trigger

This is a discussion on Finally pulled the trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just sent off for a brand new Walther PPS .40S&W and two extra 7-round magazines (I'll also get a free one with the rebate), ...

Thread: Finally pulled the trigger

I just sent off for a brand new Walther PPS .40S&W and two extra 7-round magazines (I'll also get a free one with the rebate), and I can't wait! This is going to be my EDC, with a Walther P99 for those days I'm either going to OC or know I'm going to be on the wrong side of the tracks. Now for an IWB holster .........

I've looked at the Crossbreed Minituck, Tucker Gunleather 'The Answer', and Desantis Cozy Partner. They each have their drawback - Kydex (wear on the finish), price, and no reinforcement around the mouth (in that order). Any feedback from anyone who uses these for a small / single stack handgun?
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wraymusicman View Post

I've looked at the Crossbreed Minituck, Tucker Gunleather 'The Answer', and Desantis Cozy Partner. They each have their drawback - Kydex (wear on the finish), price, and no reinforcement around the mouth (in that order). Any feedback from anyone who uses these for a small / single stack handgun?
    Properly moulded Kydex is no more harmful to a firearm's finish than leather - every holster material will produce wear if you unholster and re-holster enough. Also, Kydex holsters (including Crossbreed and other hybrids) need no mouth reinforcement - the mouths stay open on their own.

As for price, if you want quality, you won't get it for $20. All of the holsters you list are excellent values for the money, but I think the MiniTuck is the best value of the three. I carry a PT140 in one.

Please don't take offense, but I have never understood people spending several hundred dollars for a firearm and then balking at spending money for a decent holster - especially for concealed carry. Concealablilty is 90 percent dependent upon the holster.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Cross Breed Mini Tick. Any decent holster is going to run you 50-100 bucks for the most part.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you look these three up, the Desantis is the least expensive at around $70. I'm not as concerned with price (see my choice of weapon) as I am fit and function. Just looking for feedback from those who have used these holsters - pros or cons.

I am under the impression that Kydex will indeed wear the finish more than a leather holster. Is this mistaken?

This is my same CCW....you will love it...enjoy!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

If you look these three up, the Desantis is the least expensive at around $70. I'm not as concerned with price (see my choice of weapon) as I am fit and function. Just looking for feedback from those who have used these holsters - pros or cons.

I am under the impression that Kydex will indeed wear the finish more than a leather holster. Is this mistaken?
    You can't make a blanket statement about it. It depends upon the quality of the holster itself and the fit. ANY holster is going to wear a finish to one degree or another, and for the most part, this will take years, not weeks or months.

If finish wear was all that much of an issue, quality Kydex or Kydex/leather hybrids would not be selling as fast as the makers cane make them.

To me, the most important considerations are fit and comfort to my body and fit to the firearm. Wear or other considerations are way down the list - but that's just me.

FWIW, all of my leather holsters are over 25 years old and are still in excellent condition and with one exception, at today's prices would fall into the $200+ range.

BTW, of the three holsters you list, the MiniTuck is the cheapest at under $70, unless you get the horsehide.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Congrats on your new weapon, enjoy.

if you're worried about the finish get a tucker silent thunder

Thanks Major, that makes me feel a little better about the MiniTuck (and I am looking at the horsehide). I don't mind paying more for the Tucker holster, and was specifically looking at the leather-lined Kydex thinking that it would reduce the wear on the gun. But if there's no difference, or not enough to worry about, I think the CB holster looks like the way to go.

Any other thoughts on the Kydex vs. leather wear issue?

Holster wear adds character to your gun. Your carry gun is a tool and as such will endure some wear, save room in the safe if you want it looking like new in 5 years.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

For top quality, I recommend TT Gunleather...at this link you can scroll down to check out the choices for an IWB with reinforced mouth: TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have two of the Cozy Partners. I like them a lot. Very comfortable. The cant is just right for me. Easy to draw and reholster.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks Major, that makes me feel a little better about the MiniTuck (and I am looking at the horsehide). I don't mind paying more for the Tucker holster, and was specifically looking at the leather-lined Kydex thinking that it would reduce the wear on the gun. But if there's no difference, or not enough to worry about, I think the CB holster looks like the way to go.

Any other thoughts on the Kydex vs. leather wear issue?
    I cannot comment on the Kydex vs. leather wear issue but I ordered a CB mini in horsehide almost 3 weeks ago for my PPS in 40....so I will let the crowd know how it goers once I get it and try it out.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Links