Defensive Carry banner

Advice on choosing a handgun, small-framed female

15K views 61 replies 46 participants last post by  OLDSCL0311 
#1 ·
I am a young woman, 5 foot 2 inches tall and 100 pounds and change. Recently, I found myself in a situation which could have very easily turned ugly. I always carry police-grade pepper spray and consider myself to fairly tough for my size, but this incident was the last straw. I'd thrown the idea of purchasing a handgun around in my head for a while, but I no longer wish to put it off. When the crazies come out to play, I won't be a victim.

So, I'm looking into what handgun would be best for me. I'm fairly comfortable around firearms in general. I have handled a variety of rifles through training with the military and have had exposure to handguns as well, as my father owns a Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm, which I am comfortable and accurate with.

I figure that a 9mm handgun would be sufficient because it packs solid stopping power with an easily manageable recoil. I would like a compact or subcompact design so that I could easily conceal it.

I have looked at the Glock 26, the Springfield XD, the S&W M&P Compact, the HK USP Compact and the HK P2000sk, though the last two are a little out of my price range. I am looking to spend between $500 and $800 US, though I am willing to scrape my pennies together if I feel that spending more would be worth it. I have also looked at the Beretta 92 Compact L because it would be very similar to the standard issue sidearm that I will use when I commission in the military. However, I'm having a hard time finding much information on them. As I understand it, the 92 Compact L is still in production but I am not sure.

Long story short, I am not looking for a "girly" weapon. None of those "ladies" edition pieces with pink handles. I just want a small, sturdy and reliable piece.

Any feedback, whether on the handguns I mentioned or on another weapon that you think might suit my needs, would be appreciated.

Thanks, everyone.

EEA

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.