Defensive Carry banner

Advice on choosing a handgun, small-framed female

15K views 61 replies 46 participants last post by  OLDSCL0311 
#1 ·
I am a young woman, 5 foot 2 inches tall and 100 pounds and change. Recently, I found myself in a situation which could have very easily turned ugly. I always carry police-grade pepper spray and consider myself to fairly tough for my size, but this incident was the last straw. I'd thrown the idea of purchasing a handgun around in my head for a while, but I no longer wish to put it off. When the crazies come out to play, I won't be a victim.

So, I'm looking into what handgun would be best for me. I'm fairly comfortable around firearms in general. I have handled a variety of rifles through training with the military and have had exposure to handguns as well, as my father owns a Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm, which I am comfortable and accurate with.

I figure that a 9mm handgun would be sufficient because it packs solid stopping power with an easily manageable recoil. I would like a compact or subcompact design so that I could easily conceal it.

I have looked at the Glock 26, the Springfield XD, the S&W M&P Compact, the HK USP Compact and the HK P2000sk, though the last two are a little out of my price range. I am looking to spend between $500 and $800 US, though I am willing to scrape my pennies together if I feel that spending more would be worth it. I have also looked at the Beretta 92 Compact L because it would be very similar to the standard issue sidearm that I will use when I commission in the military. However, I'm having a hard time finding much information on them. As I understand it, the 92 Compact L is still in production but I am not sure.

Long story short, I am not looking for a "girly" weapon. None of those "ladies" edition pieces with pink handles. I just want a small, sturdy and reliable piece.

Any feedback, whether on the handguns I mentioned or on another weapon that you think might suit my needs, would be appreciated.

Thanks, everyone.

EEA

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the XD sub compact in .40 and its a great firearm, very reliable, simple to operate and manageable recoil. 9mm is sufficient as a defense round if that's what you are looking for I think a glock 26 or XD is a very wise choice. Have you considered revolvers at all? The .38 +P is plenty of power for self defense and you can fire a wheel gun from inside a pocket or purse, that's something you can't do with a semi-automatic.

Only reason I really mention the revolver is that my charter arms .38 has such a thin grip when I carry it in waist band its practically invisible even wearing the tightest shirts I own and a pair of shorts. My XD however or any of my other mid size semi-autos can print a chunky grip inside my t-shirt if it shifts around at all.

#3 ·
Welcome to the group.

It sounds like you're well on your way down a good decision path. I'll second LoadedPipes recommendation to consider small revolvers with the exception to recommend the S&W airweight series. 642 or 637 are excellent choices.

I'm also a big fan of both the G26 and G19 (I don't own an XD but hear mostly good things). Try to rent some of these at the range and see what works best for you. Cheers.

#4 ·
What is your price range?

There are a lot of good compact 9mms on the market

Look at Glocks The Glock19 or Glock 26

CZ Rami

Bersa Thunder 9 compact

just to name a very few

#5 ·
Have you considered CZ in the form of a P-01 or a PCR. The P-01 is NATO certified which says a lot about its reliability and most everyone has heard of the ergonomics of CZs. Do a little research on the web and you'll see what I'm saying. What's more, the trigger reach of the P-01 and PCR will fit most medium and smaller hands.

CZ-USA -> CZ P01

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 D PCR COMPACT

P-01 NATO

The P-01 is also on sale at Top Gun Supply for the ridiculous price of $460. At that price, it's a total steal.

CZ-75 Compact P01, Fixed Sights, 9mm - Top Gun Supply

Otherwise, the M&P9c is also very good and highly recommended and the ability to change grip size/capacity is a big plus.

#7 ·
Thanks for your input, LoadedPipes and WHEC724,

You both have suggested revolvers and I've read that revolvers are good choices for women -- can I ask why? LoadedPipes, you had said that they can be fired from inside a handbag easily because of the wheel, but what are the other benefits. Truth be told, I would like to avoid a revolver. I have never had much exposure to them, but they seem to be not as easy to manage as a semi-automatic pistol. Also, I want as many rounds as I can get in my clip. Most revolvers have what, 6 to 8 rounds? I'd like to be able to carry upwards of 10+, because you just never know. I'd also like a semi-automatic because, honestly, it will help better prepare me for military training, I think. Semi-automatics are what I'll be using when I commission, after all, and why not spend as much time with them as you can?

If there is a significant plus side to revolvers, please let me know. Off the top of my head, I really don't see it.

Thanks guys.

#16 ·
Theres a couple benefits to a revolver mainly the ease of operation and reliability. Semi automatics can jam but my revolver has never failed to fire you just pull the trigger and you know its going to go bang everytime.

Hammerless revolvers are great to carry concealed too, nothing to snag, rounded smooth edges and unless you physically pull the trigger its not going to fire so you don't have to worry about safeties. Weight is also something to consider, my XD weighs roughly 30 ounces, my .38 is only 12 ounces doesn't seem like much until you haul it around everyday.

You're right most compact revolvers will have a 5 shot capacity. I've read in many self defense articles the average shooting situation results in 1-3 shots fired, I don't ever see myself being in a position where I have to shoot 14 rounds, reload, and fire 14 more rounds before putting a threat down.

If you're more comfortable with a semi auto buy one, you want to have 100% faith in your firearm and if you need 20 rounds of 9mm to feel safe get one that holds 20 rounds.

#9 ·
Here's a thought. Try to get Dad to cough up the EMP! That would fill the bill nicely!

Of course if that doesn't happen, I would say that any of those you named would be a good choice. (The Beretta I don't know about as even if compact, it might be a bit heavy for EDC.)

If I were to choose, I wouldn't. Only you can tell what is best for you. I will say that you can't beat the reliability of the G26. ( I prefer the G19 personally.)

Good luck with your decision. And welcome to the forum!

#15 ·
I don't think I could ever get my dad to cough up his EMP; but he did leave it to me in his will, haha. It is a sweet, sweet piece, though. We've gotten some good use out of it.

As far as Glocks go, I've heard some good and not so good things. I like the G26 because it seems balanced and small, which would be fairly easy for me to conceal. I have heard that their safety mechanism is touchy, though. That is, apparently not much pressure is needed on the trigger and so they sometimes can go off when they aren't intended to. A friend is trying to lead me away from them for that reason, but he does acknowledge that they are solid weapons.

Thanks for the input, and thanks for the welcome!

#11 ·
Your best selection will be the one which fits you the best and which you will always carry (where legal)! Traditional women's pants are made different, making pocket carry more difficult, then if you wear a dress or skirt... yikes the challenge increases! Check out the website corneredcat.com and there are some excellent women on this site who carry everyday.

The ladysmith revolver and 5913 are great guns, don't count them out, but you can forgo the pink that's ok. Think about how you dress and then be prepared to dress around your gun. On body carry at the waist or torso is the best.

I think the thin guns conceal the best and prefer the 1911, it fits me. A glock and my hand never felt right but the XD does better. You seem comfortable with the EMP, maybe that's in your future, they are pricey. Don't forget to think about an LCP or similar in your back pocket as a BUG!

They make conceal t-shirt, spandex pants, belly bands, but a good IWB or OWB holster, a good belt and good cover attire and you should be ok...

#12 ·
I wouldn't recommend a revolver based on gender. I'm a guy and proudly own and occasionally carry a 637, as well as an LCP.

Revolvers conceal really well based on their lumpy outline. You can fire them from within a pocket if you're in a pinch (slides on semi-autos are a roll of the dice in that scenario). If a round doesn't fire, you don't have to clear it, just pull the trigger again and you get a new chamber. You can load snake-shot in a revolver if you're out in the woods. In fact, revolvers really don't care what you shoot out of them, as long as it's the right caliber. Semi-autos can be a little more finicky about the ammo that they prefer. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Although I must disclaim that I'm truly a shameless Glock person when it comes to an EDC carry :redface:.

I'm waiting for Rugergirl to chime in here? :wink:

#13 ·
Here are some Glocks on Davidson's to give you a ballpark price range link clicky thingy

and CZ's in which are in the same price range link clickly thing

I personaly don't like the lack of a manual safety on a Glock but that is my personal opinion, they are good guns and you can become expert with them fast.

I would suggest trying to find a range that rents pistols and try out a few of different styles to find one that fits your hand.

#14 ·
your small jframes are 5 rounds... I have a Taurus 85UL, you'd probably like the Slim, the PF 9, the Kahr better. I agree above, "say hey dad, how about an early b-day and christmas present to keep your daughter safe"! I'd have trouble saying no to any of my girls!

#17 ·
As far as Glocks go, I've heard some good and not so good things. I like the G26 because it seems balanced and small, which would be fairly easy for me to conceal. I have heard that their safety mechanism is touchy, though. That is, apparently not much pressure is needed on the trigger and so they sometimes can go off when they aren't intended to. A friend is trying to lead me away from them for that reason, but he does acknowledge that they are solid weapons.
Respectfully, that has been an on-going debate for decades now. The trigger safety requires straight on pressure to disengage. This is normally from the trigger finger. Very few other things can get inside the trigger guard at the correct angle to do this in the real world. Can it happen? Yes, but you would have to be fairly careless to let that happen - or the unluckiest person around. Care when holstering and a holster that covers the trigger completely will eliminate 99% of those very few possiblities.

Just my $0.02 worth. Again, good luck!

#20 ·
First, thanks for your service!

My wife is about your size. Even my PM9 (before I sold it - unreliable) was too heavy and large for her. She also did not like the thickness (cylinder) of revolvers. She likes her .380 LCP very much, and uses a belly band to carry it. It's flat, light weight, powerful enough, and it is easy to carry spare mags for it. We have Crimson Trace Lasers for it.

It will be up to you to shoot as many different guns as you can borrow or rent, to see what works for you.

Start with a smaller gun - once you can carry it concealed easily, you can always get a bigger one if you want. First rule is to have a gun! We have two LCP's in the family - one for her and one for me.

Going up in size, I would suggest a Glock 26, or similar offerings from Springfield (XD), Smith and Wesson (M&P), or Ruger (SR9C). While thinner, I'm afraid I cannot recommend Kahr based on my personal experience with their pistols. Others have had better luck with them.

My Glocks (a 19 and a 26) have been very reliable. Glocks are very safe - if the trigger is not pulled, they will not fire. However, if you are careless and allow the trigger to get pulled when it is loaded, it WILL fire. Treat it with the respect a deadly weapon deserves, and it will serve you very well.

For thinner 9mm pistols, the Kel tec PF9 and Taurus 709 get mixed reviews - proceed with caution if you consider them. The Walther PPS might be a better (but more expensive) option.

I'm awaiting the Boberg XR9S when it comes out - though I'd give it a year to work out any bugs. Price is showing $849, so a bit high.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

#21 ·
If you have small hands, like my wife who's your size, the Glock sized grip, and many others, may be too big to be comfortable. I recently handled the Ruger SR9c (9mm) and you may want to look at it. It's typically less than $500, is very slim overall for a double stack nine, with a slim grip. It comes with an extended capacity 2nd mag with a factory grip extension to make it the same grip length as the full size SR9.

#23 ·
My wife's 642 with laser grips was 620.00. Shop around one shop wanted 680,another 750. The 642 weighs only 15 ounces. The 125 grn federal nyclad is a good standard pressure load that will expand from a 2" barrel. My wife can put 5 of them into 1.75" at 15 feet. A revolver has a lot less chance of malfunction than a semi-auto. If you buy a semi be sure to practice some malfunction clearance drills. I highly recommend laser grips for whatever you buy,but be sure to shoot some with the laser turned off in case they malfunction. If you see something you like find a range that has it for rent to see if you want to buy it. The laser grips are good for dryfire so you can work on trying to pull the trigger while keeping the laser steady. It is cheaper to buy the gun with laser grips from the factory than it is to buy both seperatly. Just be sure that whatever you buy it is what you want and not what someone said you needed. You will be alot happier that way.

#24 ·
First, welcome to DC, and thanks for your service.

Lots of good options already suggested. It would be best if you can "test drive" as many as possible. I was sold on the overall package of the XD9SC. I shot a good number of possibilities before getting it. The SR9c is a nice weapon in many regards, but the trigger on my XD is still better. Good luck.

#25 ·
IMO the Glock 26 is the perfect choice. It's easily concealable and has a 10+1 capacity. Glock is easy to learn and progress on and it's reliability is proven (I EDC a G27 daily). Good prices can be had on Glocks - leaving you room for some custom leather like Pure Kustom's Black Ops Pro.

If you're comfortable on the 1911 platform you could see about a used Kimber Aegis or CDP in 9mm.

I shy away from recommending revolvers for beginners. While they are easy to carry and learn on as a beginner, truly running a wheelgun requires a lot of time and effort.

#26 ·
I am about the same size as you. I carry a Walther PPS in 9MM- and I have been very pleased with it. I also have a Sig Sauer P250 9MM (compact size with the smallest grip) that is a pleasure to shoot. When I bought the Sig I looked at (fondled) several pistols, including the S&W M&P and both of the HK's you list. They all made the "short list" but I liked the Sig the best. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the weapons you are interested in.

#46 ·
My partner, who is tall and willowy, is a big fan of the Walther PPS. So much so, that I am tempted to buy one myself for CCW. She likes the fact that they are slim, controllable and fit her hands.

You can score them for around $600 from Gunbroker, and have them shipped to a local FFL.

I know you are most familiar with Beretta products, but I've given up on them. To me, the controls are just not in a place any sane person would put them, for concealed carry.

As far as revolvers are concerned, I was raised on autos, and just cannot hit with a revolver. YMMV of course.

#29 ·
Look at the Ruger SR9c, Taurus PT709 Slim and the Kel-Tec P11. The Kahr PM/MK series are great weapons, but you gotta have a bigger piggy bank for their acquisition.

Glock 19 and 26 are the compact models, but the grip is somewhat thick. So it may pose issues with proper gripping and concealment.

#30 ·
I definitely feel you on the no pink handles business. That's the last thing I want on a gun.

I've had my eye on the Ruger SR9c and the Kahr CW9. Both of those are under your price point.

I also quite like the Glock 26, Kahr PM9, S&W M&P 9c and the XD9sc. Best of luck with your decision.

ETA: I should mention that I have a lightweight snubnose revolver (sans girlie nonsense). Don't discount the revolver. They can be excellent carry weapons.

#31 ·
Just as a point of reference, you can get the Stoeger 8000 in 9 and 40 out the door under $450 - it is Turk-made Beretta. I love plinking, it is reliable and accurate but i would not consider it for concealed carry. You would probably find it comfortable and familiar from your experience with the 92 but it is heavy - same size as Sig 229

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.