What to do with my NIB Taurus 85ULTT??

This is a discussion on What to do with my NIB Taurus 85ULTT?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my dilema, I have a new 85UL titanium that I got on a trade for my old car plus cash. This gun looks really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with my NIB Taurus 85ULTT??

What to do with my NIB Taurus 85ULTT??

Here's my dilema, I have a new 85UL titanium that I got on a trade for my old car plus cash. This gun looks really nice with the darker colored cylinder and barrell! However, I can't decide if I should keep it and put a few hundred rounds through it and see how it operates, as Taurus has a lot of quality issues. Or should I see what a local shop would give me towards a 442/ 642 smith. I know I'll have to ad in some cash this way, but I'm wanting a reliable snubbie that will work when I need it too!

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!!!

If this is an addition to a collection of firearms you already have, and you would be using this as a backup or "yard or house carry", give it a go.
    If on the other hand you are looking for a primary carry, you may want to sell/trade for something else.
    Taurus, while not top tier, are definitely not of inferior quality. IMHO
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm still in the process of obtaining my permit, but I have the xd9sc as my primary firearm! I want a reliable snubby that I can pocket carry on the warmer months. That's why I'm considering the tride and true smith.

I guess I'm wondering roughly I would get for the Taurus on the trade in? I'm aware that I won't get full value, but what is the average "loss" on a traded in revolver. While most 85UL 's are inexpensive, this model costs a little more. And should I take the gun to the dealer and ask if they want to trade, or just inquire first?

I thank your advice as I've never traded a firearm as I'm relitively new to them in general.

Lots of folks carry the Taurus 85UL. Their revolvers are pretty solid. While I own a few S&W j-frame snubbies, if I had the revolver you have I wouldn't feel the need to go take a beating on a trade-in just to get a S&W. If I had it, I think I'd have to put a box of 50 through it. If you like it, then you've already got a good snubbie for your intended purpose. Lightweight snubs are neither fun nor easy to shoot. It takes a lot of practice to be proficient with them and the Airweight Smiths are fairly snappy on the hands. The same ammo fired out of the revolver you already have does the same job out of a S&W. The 442/642 run about $500. Try it...it is a good firearm and it's already in your hand.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

its a Taurus 85 pretty good gun already. I have a CH85 and would NOT pay the extra for a S&W to be honest..ive had both when on a PD back in the 80's and I like BOTH not a lot of difference especially in the quality VS price...in other words I guess what im saying is for the price id just as soon have the Taurus. and the S&W is NOT(again to ME) worth almost a extra $200.

A gun in hand is better than two in the bush (or something like that).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well, by all means... Shoot that 'lil son-of-a-gun!

As far as problems some may have with Taurus, I've heard the 85 series of guns are top notch. I've shot several of the 85 snubbies but never owned a Taurus. If I didn't already have three Ruger revolvers, I wouldn't mind having a Taurus 85 in the least.

I often carry my SP-101 (Ruger) as a BUG and it is a perfect pocket companion.

Go ahead and put a few hundred rounds through it and then, if you don't like it, you can trade it off, or sell it after you've given it a fair chance.

I don't see a few hundred rounds hurting the value on trading it in or selling it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've had a Taurus UL for several years and for what it was designed it is excellent. Mine has a trigger that I pay lots of money to get on my Smiths.

They are light, so when you pull the trigger, like on any ultra light gun it will tell you it went bang. But, mine has never failed to go bang.

As for carry, if not for the weaknesses I see in the 38 caliber, and lack of rounds, 5, I'd carry it all the time. It is possibly the lightest gun I own at 12 ounces fully loaded. On my post office scale.

Personally, I would trade it... but not because it's a Taurus, because it's an ultra-light. I don't like ultra - lights with the extra recoil, etc that they have. If you can deal with that and like it, keep it.

Like Bark'n said, a few hundred rounds or even more if you maintain the gun isn't going to change one thing if you decide to trade the gun in later. Used in good condition is used. It really is hard to tell if a gun has 100 or 1000 rounds through it if it hasn't been abused.

Shoot it, see what you think, and if you like it your good to go. If for some reason you don't like it that gives you a good reference point for looking for something different in a small revolver.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have an 85UL that I like a lot. Mine has been flawless with about 1,000 rounds through it. I installed a set of lightweight Wolff springs and Paccy 3-finger rubber grips and I can shoot +p through it all day and not be sore.

the owner of the local shooting range I think is a Grand Master shooter. He puts 20,000-30,000 rds through his CH 85 and then gets a new one. He says the trigger pull is much better than his Smiths. He shoots lots of guns and thinks highly of the SS 85s. I suspect you will get only $150-175 on a trade in. I would shoot it and see if it works and you like it. I just picked up a NIB 3 week old Taurus 709 Slim from a guy trying to trade it in. Shop only offered him $175 on trade for a Sig. I walked out of the store with the Taurus for $225 and no tax. His loss, my gain. Go shoot the 85.

cmb
    I'd keep it, I love mine, it is a great little gun, you may get more selling it FTF, but I'd keep it, the more I shoot mine the better I get, j-snubbies fit a little different in your hand, I like the trigger, smoother than my PF9 was and the snub is more versatile...

I have a Taurus 85UL stainless,its the same gun as yours except mine has the stainless steel barrel and cylinder vs. The titanium on yours. I love mine and carry it everyday,sure its one of my colts or S&W's but its a great gun just the same.

I paid $250 with tax for my used 85ULSS,so if I were you I would shoot it and go from there. You could probably get $300 give or take for it if private sales are legal in your state.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I've had one for a year or two now fires everytime I pull the trigger and even gets rotation on the carry guns. Actually becoming one of my favorites with its Simple rugged holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links