Took my H&K P2000SK to range today

This is a discussion on Took my H&K P2000SK to range today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new H&K P2000SK to the range today. Wow what a sweet gun. At 21 feet I put 17 out of the first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took my H&K P2000SK to range today

I took my new H&K P2000SK to the range today. Wow what a sweet gun.

At 21 feet I put 17 out of the first 20 rounds into about 2 inches. The first 3 were all over the place until I got the trigger dialed in. Subsequently, I tried my reloads. Not a single complaint. Took my reloads like they were brand new. Then I tried hollow points. Again no complaints. +P no problems. The manual says continous use of +P and +P+ ammunition will cause excessive wear on gun. To me that means limited use is ok.

I had to stop there, I got into a conversation with another gun nut about guns and ran out of time. He had a Colt Mustang and we were comparing it to my Sig P238. He wants a Sig now. Tried to buy mine. Not for sale.

I've had discussions on these forums about breaking in guns. There is good logic behind it, but, here again with the H&K it proves it's hooey! A well built gun will do what it was designed to do from the get go. Go bang, bang, bang, bang............

I have several guns, Browning Hi Power, Colt Gold Cup 1911, S&W 1006, Glock 23 and Glock 26, Sig P238, Springfield Armory EMP 40, and now the H&K P2000SK that shoot perfectly out of the box (pre-emptive cleaning of course.).

Now the fact that these guns all cost $500 and up should send a message. If you pay $300 for a gun, (I'm talking new guns.) then expect to take a chance. I did with Kel Tec. It cost me $600 (PF9 and P11) to learn not to buy Kel Tec, which I could have spent on a Glock right off the bat.

Come on Glock, make us a single stack 9mm under one inch thick, pleeeeeeeeease!

I tested the short reset. That is, when I fired I held the trigger back then let it move forward until I heard a click and then I fired again. The trigger didn't go all the way back to normal reset position. This is great for quick follow ups. Of course I have to practice, not much good in standing there waiting to hear the click.

The fellow gun nut says he is a Sig guy and Sig shares this feature with H&K. He discribed the same feature on his DAK Sigs. Well if I ever get my hands on some money, again, I may have to try one of those Sigs.

Sorry if I got off topic. Just happy to have another great gun in my collection.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post

Sorry if I got off topic. Just happy to have another great gun in my collection.

Yes, when are they gonna make that??

Glad you liked your HK. Sounds like a beauty.

i have one in 9mm and absolutely love it

i edc a p2000sk and love it.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    i edc a p2000sk and love it.
    Me too.

Best CCW I've found... fits all my needs, works everytime.

Congrats on a great gun. H&K is top notch. I love the P2000sk...don't have one, but would like to.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

jsunsr,
    Sounds like you have a sweet one! I have a P2000 also but in a .357 sig. I absolutely love that round! I couldn't decide between that or the .40 s&w, but I decided on the .357 sig.
    I'm thinking about the P30 in maybe a 9mm, but I'm a fan of the bigger bullets, so I don't know! I really do like the H&K's though!
    Good shooting with yours!

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I took my new H&K P2000SK to the range today. Wow what a sweet gun.

At 21 feet I put 17 out of the first 20 rounds into about 2 inches. The first 3 were all over the place until I got the trigger dialed in. Subsequently, I tried my reloads. Not a single complaint. Took my reloads like they were brand new. Then I tried hollow points. Again no complaints. +P no problems. The manual says continous use of +P and +P+ ammunition will cause excessive wear on gun. To me that means limited use is ok.

I had to stop there, I got into a conversation with another gun nut about guns and ran out of time. He had a Colt Mustang and we were comparing it to my Sig P238. He wants a Sig now. Tried to buy mine. Not for sale.

I've had discussions on these forums about breaking in guns. There is good logic behind it, but, here again with the H&K it proves it's hooey! A well built gun will do what it was designed to do from the get go. Go bang, bang, bang, bang............

I have several guns, Browning Hi Power, Colt Gold Cup 1911, S&W 1006, Glock 23 and Glock 26, Sig P238, Springfield Armory EMP 40, and now the H&K P2000SK that shoot perfectly out of the box (pre-emptive cleaning of course.).

Now the fact that these guns all cost $500 and up should send a message. If you pay $300 for a gun, (I'm talking new guns.) then expect to take a chance. I did with Kel Tec. It cost me $600 (PF9 and P11) to learn not to buy Kel Tec, which I could have spent on a Glock right off the bat.

I tested the short reset. That is, when I fired I held the trigger back then let it move forward until I heard a click and then I fired again. The trigger didn't go all the way back to normal reset position. This is great for quick follow ups. Of course I have to practice, not much good in standing there waiting to hear the click.

The fellow gun nut says he is a Sig guy and Sig shares this feature with H&K. He discribed the same feature on his DAK Sigs. Well if I ever get my hands on some money, again, I may have to try one of those Sigs

Believe it or not your Glock has the same function. Try it the next time you go to the range.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have it in 9mm and love it. Handles perspiration well too (Big factor down this way)

Never a failure and accurate is an understatement

Enjoy yours!
    2A is not negotiable

Sounds good. Thanks for your thoughts. I've been giving some thought to the HK LEM trigger lately.

I'll just throw this in here...
    Last edited by NoNameMan; April 15th, 2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: grammar
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

P2000SK 9mm V2/LEM, here. It's completely reliable and accurate. In a few more sessions, I'll be north of 1000rds in my break-in of the gun. After which time, it will also be my daily carry unit. Kudos to H&K for a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    I, too, am more of a 6.1 lbs DAO fan, on the P2000SK. Soon, I will be doing the spring swap from the factory 7.3 lbs. Done at the same time as trigger/action tuning by Bill Springfield, it should be a really sweet gun afterwards.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 15th, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

All of you: STOP ALREADY!

You're making my first purchase decision even harder now. It's been all I can do to avoid buying the P2000SK until I've tried the others on my list, I don't need this!!!

Seriously though, I'm happy for you and am really glad to see all the positive feedback about this gun.

***ALERT***
    Hijacking in progress

A couple questions for OP, and any other P2000/SK owners:

1. Which caliber did you get?

2. Is it true that the P2000SK does a better job taming the .40sw recoil impulse compared to similar guns?

3. Does the mag release get easier with use? (I've found them to be very difficult on the gun's I've handled) It seems to be the only thing that's making me balk at purchasing... other than price, which I can live with to own such a fine weapon.

***Hijacking concluded***
    We now return you to your previous thread, already in progress.

Thanks for understanding my gun disease and not pointing at, and/or ridiculing me!
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

just find a good used one,thats what i did....it'll save a lot of cash

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post
    All of you: STOP ALREADY!

P2000SK 9mm V2/LEM. That's the 9mm caliber, of course, with the version-2 LEM (law enforcement modification) DAO type trigger/spring setup.

2. Is it true that the P2000SK does a better job taming the .40sw recoil impulse compared to similar guns?
    I don't feel it at all, in my gun. (9mm)

Can't speak to the .40cal round. My experience is only with 9mm's in the P2000SK. But I can compare general recoil handling as compared with many other polymer pistols in 9mm, if that'll help.

Recoil is very subjective. These are my impressions.

Seriously though, if your question is whether recoil seems to be tamed better in this gun than many other light polymer guns, I'd have to say that the 9mm has a bit of a snap in this one, yes. I have tried three or four of the hottest 9mm's I've been able to identify, out there. My intended daily carry ammo is one of those (the DoubleTap Bonded Defense JHP +P, with the Speer Gold Dot bullet, in 124gr). Recoil's a bit snappy, far more so than, say, a Commander-weight pistol such as the CZ P-01, which handles recoil much better.

Every polymer gun I have tried other than the Glock 19 has snappier and worse recoil management than the P2000SK. The G19 is pretty darned good, and probably the standard bearer in this regard. I think the P2000SK is better than the G26. I think it's marginally better than the smallest of the M&P pistols. The few shots out of an XD I shot seem to have been a bit snappier, but I didn't shoot it enough to really wring out the behavior.

Still, even though recoil is felt in the P2000SK, it's darned accurate for all of that. What's the goal, really? If one is afraid of higher recoil, or has bad flinching because of it, or some other ugly side effect, then I'd say polymer guns aren't the ticket. but if you're simply concerned that the added recoil might impact accuracy, I'd say that you'll have less worry in the P2000SK than most every other poly pistol out there. At least, the eight or nine of them that I've tried.

Probably the best surprise I've had in recoil management has been the Kahr PM9. For whatever reason, that little sucker simply eats up recoil and discards it. Yes, recoil's stout in the gun, but it doesn't hurt, it's not a surprise, and it has almost no effect on the accuracy of shots with the gun. It's amazing. In that sense, the little PM9 behaves almost like a mid- to large-frame pistol. Strange, but true.

3. Does the mag release get easier with use?
    Mine is fairly difficult. Having a weak hand, it's hard to manipulate. Far more difficult to use than the 1911 button style, for me. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a lighter spring out there, but I haven't found one yet.

It's the one thing that kept me from acquiring one earlier. And I wouldn't have done so, except for a chance meeting.

(I've found them to be very difficult on the gun's I've handled) It seems to be the only thing that's making me balk at purchasing.
    Me, too. In the end, someone showed me what he saw as "the trick" to how to manipulate the mag release catch.

The object isn't to press down. The object is to press IN, while pressing down. That helps quite a bit. Imagine pressing in/down, like around a watch, on the curve that the path that the "second" hand takes. Press firmly, and voila.

But I can do a 1911's mag release all day long, for hundreds of presses. I don't think I could do 15 in a row, on the P2000SK. It's that tough, yes. But that's just me, apparently. Nobody else I've found has seemed to notice.

Now, mine doesn't even have 1000 rounds through it yet, so I can't say whether it lightens up over time. By 5K or 10K rds, it might well do so. I hope so. While I am practicing doing "dry fires," I am also doing the same sort of "dry" manipulation of the mag release catch, in the hopes that it'll loosen up with wear. If it starts to get better, I'll report back. (Though, that'll be a year or more in the future.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by M590a1 Man View Post

A couple questions for OP, and any other P2000/SK owners:

3. Does the mag release get easier with use? (I've found them to be very difficult on the gun's I've handled) It seems to be the only thing that's making me balk at purchasing... other than price, which I can live with to own such a fine weapon.
    I have a p2000sk v3 (da/sa) in .40sw

I think the recoil is pretty tame but i have never shot another compact in .40 onl the sig p226 which is a little larger gun.

It takes a little getting used to. the hardest part for me is tha the release lever is so much smaller on this gun than on my full size hk .45.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links