Suggestions for comfortable IWB carry revolver for skinny guy w/ long fingers?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for comfortable IWB carry revolver for skinny guy w/ long fingers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago I posted my first thread asking for advice for a "first CCW that was accurate, reliable, and fun-to-shoot in $250-300 range." ...

Thread: Suggestions for comfortable IWB carry revolver for skinny guy w/ long fingers?

Suggestions for comfortable IWB carry revolver for skinny guy w/ long fingers?

About a month ago I posted my first thread asking for advice for a "first CCW that was accurate, reliable, and fun-to-shoot in $250-300 range."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...300-range.html

I appreciated everyone's suggestions and over the last few weeks I have been concentrating on finding a .38 special (or .357) that would meet my needs. Over time I discovered that the middle knuckle on my middle finger was pressing hard against the back of the trigger guard on almost all of the j frame sized revolvers. I also found on some that my index finger would sometimes wrap far enough around the trigger that it would be pinched between the back of the trigger and the trigger guard when I pulled the trigger. I started hearing from the gun shop people that I had big hands. (I knew I had long fingers, but never considered my hands particularly big because they aren't that "meaty.") One shop after another told me that the j frame wasn't the right size for me.

I found a 3" Ruger Security Six that felt very nice in my hand, and had a smooth trigger, but was told that it was likely too big for me to comfortably carry concealed behind my right hip in a tuckable IWB holster, where I would like to carry it. The guys at that shop said I didn't have enough "meat" or "padding" and that my hip bone would be sore if I carried it there. (I am tall, wear a 42 x-long, and 34 waist pants.)

I tried the LCR, and although my middle finger knuckle didn't get squeezed by the trigger guard because of its design, I didn't like the two finger grip.

The first revolver I looked at was a Smith 36 with Pachmayr grips. It felt much better than all the other j frames afterward, but because it was the first I looked at, I wasn't then paying attention to whether my knuckle was hitting the trigger guard.

For ME to carry in that location, is it probable I will have to go with a thinner, semi-auto, instead of a revolver?

Any suggestions for what might work for me, with my hand size and build, for tuckable IWB carry?
    Last edited by HappyDog; April 15th, 2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: to clarify question

2. Remove Ads

Is there any particular reason you "have to have" a revolver? I don't think a "thinner" semi-auto will solve your problem because you will still have to address long finger situation. I recommend something like a Glock 19....thicker grip (because of double stack magazine) for a better feel in YOUR hand because of long fingers...15 + 1 rounds vs 5 or 6...one of the most reliable weapons on the market today...easily concealed IWB...Go to a gun shop, fondle one, rent one and shoot it if possible. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Take a look at the XDm also, it has changeable back straps as many do now days. I would also look at the S&W M&P. Good luck.

cj
    I've got big hands as well, but I think the issues you're having with a j-frame are technique-related. My knuckle of my middle finger also rests directly behind the trigger guard. I can also wrap my trigger finger around far enough to squeeze it behind the trigger (or even past it if I wanted to), but have been taught to use the pad of the finger on the trigger face. It's a little awkward feeling at first, but the strength builds up fairly quickly. Still, I do find the base grip rather tiny to hold on to.

As for j-frames and the like, one of the great things about their commonality is the availability of aftermarket parts...such as a larger, fatter grip, or overwraps that give you more of a handful to hang on to.

After your searching, have you expanded your price range? That opens up a world of new possibilities and options. Realize that the cost of a few boxes of ammunition would vastly increase the set to look at.

VIP Member
    If you are not set on the 38 or 357 you might look at the Charter Arms Bulldog.It is in 44 special and very easy to carry concealed.It also has enough grip for your long fingers.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some answers:

Re "38 or 357" -- I intend to shoot regularly, but I would really like something that my wife could also handle in an emergency. I am reasonably sure that she isn't going to practice on any kind of a regular basis. I wouldn't want her to be in a situation where in the panic of the moment she wouldn't know how to chamber and release the safety on a semi-auto. (Also a reason against a 44.)

The Glock 19 isn't an option for me because I live in NY (max 10 rd mag unless pre 1994).

CJ -- thanks for your comments. I wondered if different technique on the trigger could make a difference, but it sure feels weird/awkward to try to tightly hold a handgun with a small grip so that just the pad of my index finger is on the trigger. It feels like there are several ways that things could "go wrong" in an emergency situation. Maybe I would have to train with that technique, but on the other hand, my wife also has long fingers and it could be a problem for her too. Right now I am working on getting my wife to go to a gun shop with me to try different handguns.

D.V. I'm going to the Syracuse gun show this weekend and I hope to try some revolver options with different aftermarket grips.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Here are some answers:

Re "38 or 357" -- I intend to shoot regularly, but I would really like something that my wife could also handle in an emergency. I am reasonably sure that she isn't going to practice on any kind of a regular basis. I wouldn't want her to be in a situation where in the panic of the moment she wouldn't know how to chamber and release the safety on a semi-auto. (Also a reason against a 44.)

The Glock 19 isn't an option for me because I live in NY (max 10 rd mag unless pre 1994).

CJ -- thanks for your comments. I wondered if different technique on the trigger could make a difference, but it sure feels weird/awkward to try to tightly hold a handgun with a small grip so that just the pad of my index finger is on the trigger. It feels like there are several ways that things could "go wrong" in an emergency situation. Maybe I would have to train with that technique, but on the other hand, my wife also has long fingers and it could be a problem for her too. Right now I am working on getting my wife to go to a gun shop with me to try different handguns.

D.V. I'm going to the Syracuse gun show this weekend and I hope to try some revolver options with different aftermarket grips.
    In regards to the Glock 19...There is NO external safety for the wife to learn to release. The weapons has several "internal" safetys built into the gun. It will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. It is designed to either carry CHAMBERED or put on the nightstand CHAMBERED. Sooo, she wouldn't have to worry about chambering a round as it will be ready to go BANG as soon as you pick it up, point it, and pull the trigger. Since you are in NY, you can get a Glock 19 with a 10 round mag...see attached:

Pistols For Sale - Glock 19 NEW w/ 10 round magazines - Auction: 9180896 (Ended 02/03/2010, 07:52:39 PST)

Just thought I would pass it on in the event it could help you.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If an untrained shooter may have to use the weapon, I would stick with a revolver. Plenty of untrained shooters will let the weapon "give" with the shot, or limp-wrist, and this is asking for malfunctions with autos.

I am 6' tall, wear 40L jackets, and skinnier than the OP, with a 31"-32" waist. I concealed 4" N-frames, larger sixguns than the OP is considering here. A GP100 is almost as large as an N-frame, and I concealed them for a while, too. My Ruger Speed Six and S&W K-frames were joys to carry concealed.

To be clear, I am using past tense here, because I generally carry my personally-owned SIG P229 duty pistols concealed on my own time nowadays. Life is simpler when I don't have to handle so many guns on a daily basis, or open the safe as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    If an untrained shooter may have to use the weapon, I would stick with a revolver. Plenty of untrained shooters will let the weapon "give" with the shot, or limp-wrist, and this is asking for malfunctions with autos.

I am 6' tall, wear 40L jackets, and skinnier than the OP, with a 31"-32" waist. I concealed 4" N-frames, larger sixguns than the OP is considering here. A GP100 is almost as large as an N-frame, and I concealed them for a while, too. My Ruger Speed Six and S&W K-frames were joys to carry concealed.

To be clear, I am using past tense here, because I generally carry my personally-owned SIG P229 duty pistols concealed on my own time nowadays. Life is simpler when I don't have to handle so many guns on a daily basis, or open the safe as often.
    Rexster, Thank you very much. I was hoping to hear from others with a similar build. I am interested in carrying in a tuckable IWB holster at 3:30 or 4:00 and plan to cover with a dress shirt (which is what I wear six days a week). If that is what you did, and you found a comfortable holster for larger revolvers, what do you suggest in the way of holsters?

I very much liked the feel of that Security Six I tried. Maybe I would have to get used to carrying it concealed, but I don't want to buy it unless there is a way to carry it comfortably.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have never used a tuckable rig, so can't be of much use in that regard. The IWB rigs I used for the mentioned sixguns are discontinued models by Desantis and Eagle Industries. I do have a Milt Sparks Summer Special II, built for a 5.5" SAA, and have worn it quite comfortably for a brief test period. I will yield the discussion to folks who have carried sixguns in tuckables.

Links