New sr9c, first CCW

This is a discussion on New sr9c, first CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ntg First welcome. Nice choice...they shoot and feel well. Go with a kholster or a CBST. Yeah heard a ton of positives ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New sr9c, first CCW

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    First welcome. Nice choice...they shoot and feel well.

Go with a kholster or a CBST.
    Yeah heard a ton of positives about the supertuck

2. Remove Ads

I love the Ruger SR9c thats what I have ...the SB ST has its pluses and minuses. Its quite a bit bulkier than my regular size kydex and leather holsters and I cant wear it with the same pants I can with those "regular" size holsters it just takes up too much space...it IS COMFORTABLE, it also does not conceal as well as a "regular size" holster there is a noticeable bulk at my side with it thats just NOT there with my regular holsters and yes I tried all the holes and all the positions that were comfortable to me from 3-430 oclock...Im going to use it as my "cooler sweater heavier shirts CC holster and im gonna have to get something else for summer CC. It is how ever worth the $$ but I am not as huge a fan as some. Id rather have a Kydex or Leather holster in a "regular" size..just more concealable. I guess what im saying is the CBST is big enough that it wont actually fit in 1/2 my pants that a regular holster will so make sure you have the room :)
    Last edited by C Bennett; April 15th, 2010 at 05:47 PM.

I have put probably 500 rounds through my SR9c and I haven't had a single issue with it shooting the $9.50/box Federal 9mm FMJs from Walmart.

Like a lot of others probably, I went to the local range/gun store and held just about every 9mm they had available for sale (for less than $600 or so) in my hand. I probably liked the glocks the LEAST, it just didn't fit my hand.

I can tell you from playing around with the cheapo Uncle Mike's #15 IWB holster that I NEED a holster with cant - otherwise I can't reliably draw it clean.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have 450 flawless rounds through my SR9c. My gun has a very light and crisp trigger, and the ergonomics for me, are near perfection.

Congrats on the new CCW, you made a fine choice.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post
    Bought my first CCW, sr9c. I get to fire it this weekend for the first time. I wanna put a couple hundred thru it before I start carrying. Thinking of getting the supertuck. Any other good IWB ideas?

Any other thoughts are welcomed.
    I like the looks of the SR9C myself but my G26 still has my heart
    Please post some photos and tell us how your range trip goes
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

It's hard to go wrong with a Ruger. Some of their guns are big and bulky like my P90. But they always go bang!

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with a Ruger. Some of their guns are big and bulky like my P90. But they always go bang!
    yup, thats why I think Ruger finally has a good CC gun...your 100% right..they pretty much in their P series dont have anything you can really CC WELL...they finally listened to the public and came out with a NON .380 thats a good CC size platform...I like it TONS better than the Glock 23 it replaced..better grips by far...and I can actually get ALL my fingers on the grips even without the pinky extender(not something you can say with the G lock 26/27...you get the hanging pinky syndrome with those size grips. and the thinness also lends itsself to CC...much nicer than the blockier Glock for comfort and concelability...only thing Glock has on it is the aftermarket...and since I really dont mess with my CC guns as far as mods...whats not to like on the Ruger SR9c!

Okay, I'm impatient... took my girlfriend to the range with me today... was pretty impressed with this gun... I'M LOVING IT!

Keep in mind this is my first time firing a 9mm and this is my first CCW. Be kind!!!

My girlfriends shots: again this is her first time firing a gun period, she handled it VERY well, and was fairly accurate. She's a small girl, 5'8" 120lbs, with small small hands, this gun seemed great for her as well.

That's some good shootn' TEX. Seriously though it looks like you are comfortable with the gun and need to get out as often as possible and you'll see those groups tighten up even more.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

yup not bad. Just keep practicing that gun at a typical combat range(10 yds or so) is easily able to "punch out" the middle..Mine will make a big hole about golf ball size if I take my time ...
    Attached Images

Yeah going again tonight after work. My shots were at 15 yards, my girlfriends were at 7.

I'll work on tightening them up. All my head shots were rapid fire, chest shots were taking aim after recoil.

Gun is very managable and i'm super happy with it thus far.

162 rounds, 0 issues yet.

Put another 200 or so thru tonight hopefully.

BTW any other suggestions on IWB besides supertuck? Maybe something not quite as H U G E.

Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post
    Yeah going again tonight after work. My shots were at 15 yards, my girlfriends were at 7.

I'll work on tightening them up. All my head shots were rapid fire, chest shots were taking aim after recoil.

Gun is very managable and i'm super happy with it thus far.

162 rounds, 0 issues yet.

Put another 200 or so thru tonight hopefully.

BTW any other suggestions on IWB besides supertuck? Maybe something not quite as H U G E.

Ive got around 700 through mine and I love it..it didnt like WWB 9mm rounds so I leave them out of the rotation but it loves everything else ive thrown at it. I normally shoot at 3/7/10/12/15 yds with 15 being the one I spend the least time shooting at...every now and then I will even go out to 25 yards but when im practicing for HD/SD/CC distances I keep it in the 3-12 yard ranges..I dont have a place in my house I would have to shoot more than that..and in very FEW circumstances in CC could I think id need(or be justified) in shooting past 15 yds...I mean sure I can think of some odd ball scenerios but I dont drill a lot on 15+ yard shots...

we have to qualify at 25 yds at work and I can put every round I shoot from a ruger P89 in the body...and I often shoot my .22 pistol from .25 but not a lot of CC from that distance..

How much you looking to spend for a good CC holster thats the first question? and make sure you get a dedicated CC BELT thats just as important as the holster is.

Like to keep it around $100 for the holster. You have an amazing one for more I'll pay it though. Holster is just as important for CC in my eyes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links