Sig 238 - Worth all the fuss?

This is a discussion on Sig 238 - Worth all the fuss? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been admiring them for a while but can't quite seem to "bite the bullet" and pay what they are asking for some reason. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig 238 - Worth all the fuss?

Sig 238 - Worth all the fuss?

I have been admiring them for a while but can't quite seem to "bite the bullet" and pay what they are asking for some reason. I am also hesitant to get another handgun with ammo (.380 ACP) that continues to be hard to find and awful pricey too.

I have done well with 9mm and .45 and kept the collection to just those calibers but I am just fascinated by the Sig 238. I love the SA and just about everything (Weight / size / materials / Sig reputation) that comes with the package.

I have also read some negatives and wanted to hear from some that have and more importantly CARRY it day-to-day
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    The Sig 238 was among the few my girlfriend said she'd consider looking more into. And out of the other choices, it seems to be the one I favor. So I also would like some more information.

I know there was some quality issues when they first came out, which really surprised me because I've heard nothing but great things about Sigs. I wonder if all the kinks are worked out yet.

I have a friend who recently bought one and carries it pretty much everywhere ina Desantis Nemesis.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member

re: LeCalsey .380 shortage and Sig 228

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    I am also hesitant to get another handgun with ammo (.380 ACP) that continues to be hard to find and awful pricey too.
    I fully agree. The .380 shortage -to say nothing about the price if you are lucky to find any-- is sufficient reason to not add this caliber to your collection IF you are able to comfortably carry a slightly larger gun in 9 or .40

You are talking about what should be a great little gun if not for the shortage.

I have to wonder if the ammo shortage isn't going to come back and bite some gun producers as folks limit their new purchases to calibers where ammo can be found. You'd think it would be in the interests of the gun manufacturers to do something to help ease the shortage--including maybe investing in some of the ammo companies.

You can't have a horse if you can't find hay and feed.

cmb
    Shortage? I was in a gun shop tuesday, must have had 1000 rds or more 380, and every week Walmart has been getting a box or two in...

Yeah I like those little Sigs too, the SA would be a great compliment to 1911 but the price for the bang, not worth it to me...

I'd go with a used P232. Very fine shooting.
    But if going for a six round .380 why not the little Ruger LCP and save $?

If you do decide to go with the .380, check AmmoEngine: .45 Colt / .45 Long Colt, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals. It will search the net for instock ammo and give you the price comparrison. I just bought the micro desert eagle last week (got a good deal on it) and had to order the .380 ammo. $17.99 at cabelas, for 50 rnds of fmj range ammo vs. $35 for 50 rnds at the local shop. I love all things Sig, and own some, but went with the MDE for this size weapon. Can't wait for the ammo to show up so I can actually go shoot it.

I would not carry a single action pistol in my pocket in condition 1.
    I would not carry a single action pistol in any condition but 1.
    YMMV.

This gun does not suit my style of carry. I've heard they are very accurate and not bad to shoot but .380 is hard to find around here too so I'm staying away from them for now.

I plans on getting another Kahr P380 or a Diamond Back 380 once ammo becomes more available.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Actually carrying mine today with a backup Mustang mag........

I typically carry either OWB and IWB with the P238 or Springer EMP 9mm, but sometimes outside temperature and office appointments do not allow for the holster.

I probably have 500+ rounds through the P238 without an issue. And I have found it to be very accurate for its size.

Just my .02
    Attached Images
    b.

What about spare mag availability? I like to keep every HG I own with about 10 mags. I heard that was an early problem too. Still true?
    2A is not negotiable

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Outside of the ammo limitations, and there are ammo limitations, the pistol is a very, very nice I have had the opportunity to mess with one for a day or so.

380ACP is virtually impossible to find in central KY. (Unless you want to pay $69.00 for a box of 50 rounds of American - whatever.)

If you can find a reliable source of ammo. you WILL like the pistol but read all of the recall & problem notices.

Criag
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

My wife now carries two handguns depending on what purse or clothing will best conceal her firearm.

For loose clothing IWB or purse carry, my wife will take her Ruger LCR:

For tight clothing IWB or small purse carry, my wife will take her Sig P238:

I highly recommend either of these fine handguns for concealed carry.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

This is on my short list of handguns to purchase next. I haven't been able to handle one yet, but if it's anything like the Colt Mustang then I'm sure I'll absolutely love it.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    This is on my short list of handguns to purchase next. I haven't been able to handle one yet, but if it's anything like the Colt Mustang then I'm sure I'll absolutely love it.
    The Sig P238 is a "licensed" copy of the Colt Mustang. Sig pays a royalty to Colt for each one they sell. The only difference, other than cosmetic, I have seen between the two is the lighter trigger on the P238.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links