CCW a 4" Colt python?

This is a discussion on CCW a 4" Colt python? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if this is doable with an IWB or OWB holster? I've handled and shot pythons but never carried one concealed,but I figure ...

Thread: CCW a 4" Colt python?

CCW a 4" Colt python?

I was wondering if this is doable with an IWB or OWB holster? I've handled and shot pythons but never carried one concealed,but I figure if people carry a S&W K or N frame then a python should be doable right? How close is size is a python to a S&W model 19? Also isn't the python built on colt's I-frame? if so how does this frame compare to above mentioned ones in the size category,is it bigger,smaller or the same size?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A Python is notably larger and heavier than a K-frame S&W, about the size of a GP100 or S&W 686. CC of a Python is certainly feasible. When my duty GP100 was at the firearms lab for a few weeks in 1993, after a deadly force incident, I toted my Python in my same duty holster at work, and in the same CC holsters some of the time when off the clock. The high-profile rear sight and that long hammer spur were quite noticeable, compared to the same parts on my GP100.

My CC holsters able to tote the GP100 and Python back then were a now-discontinued nylon IWB rig, and a Galco Phoenix. I may have used a semi-universal Desantis IWB rig, too, that is also long out of production.

Want to tote a Python? Assuming you don't want to de-horn the rear sight and hammer spur, I recommend a Milt Sparks 200AW, which has a shroud that covers those parts.

I have concealed carry a Python quite a bit in a OWB Pancake holster.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I was wondering if this is doable with an IWB or OWB holster? I've handled and shot pythons but never carried one concealed,but I figure if people carry a S&W K or N frame then a python should be doable right? How close is size is a python to a S&W model 19? Also isn't the python built on colt's I-frame? if so how does this frame compare to above mentioned ones in the size category,is it bigger,smaller or the same size?
    Why?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I CC my 686. I'm sure with some care you could CC the Python.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I have concealed carry a Python quite a bit in a OWB Pancake holster.
    Back in the day, before we had such a large selection of great semi-autos, I carried several 4" S&W K frames and a Colt Pythpn in a OWB Pancake holster.
    Randy

A Python (Colt I-frame) is larger than a K-frame S&W, but considerably smaller than an N-frame.

I have carried my Python OWB, but it's a little too big for me to carry IWB. The size and shape of the grip frame doesn't lend itself to concealed carry - and neither does the K-frame S&W for that matter. Personally, I think there are many guns that are better for concealed carry than a Python. Also, Pythons are no longer made and probably never will be again, so I prefer to keep mine for occasional fun shooting and leave it in the vault the rest of the time. Considering that mine is in pristine condition, I plan to keep it that way.

To me this is one of those situations that says, "Yes, it can be done, but should it be done?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by randyc74 View Post
    Back in the day..... I carried several 4" S&W K frames and a Colt Python in a OWB Pancake holster.
    That must've be one big holster!
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I was wondering if this is doable with an IWB or OWB holster? I've handled and shot pythons but never carried one concealed,but I figure if people carry a S&W K or N frame then a python should be doable right?...
    I'm about to find out, something similar. I just received a Don Hume 721 for my Dan Wesson 357.
    Planning on doing some test driving with it this weekend.
    kudos to the Dan Wesson folks for producing a (now discontinued) revolver with easily changeable barrels.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

It can be done. I carry a 4 inch K frame 357 now regularly. I've even carried N frames and Redhawks.

Give it a try.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

I've carried a GP100 or a 686 concealed in a warm desert evironment before.

It's not that difficult to do. I find the hardest part to hide being the "butt" of the weapon if one uses a good quality IWB Holster and a good belt made to support the weight of the gun.

My favorite IWB Holster for a gun that size, actually is a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. I tend to favor changing the stocks on the gun if it's for concealed carry. I like the Eagle Secret Service Grips myself if you can't wait for a set of Spegal's.

Biker

Links