Hard decision - Ruger MK III vs RIA 1911

This is a discussion on Hard decision - Ruger MK III vs RIA 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just made a tough call for a broke college student. Having sold enough things off to buy one cheaper gun, I had $400 at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just made a tough call for a broke college student. Having sold enough things off to buy one cheaper gun, I had $400 at my disposal. Here's the problem: I shot a 1911 for the first time recently, and got the 1911 bug. However, I don't have a pistol in 22lr and can't afford regular practice with centerfire ammo at current prices.

So... I agonized for a few days over whether to buy a low end 1911 or a Ruger MK III. I considered a 22/45 but the polymer frame was a deal-killer. Further complicating things is the fact that my local range is an FFL and lets you buy guns through them for dealer cost + 5%. That means that the MK III Target model was just under $300 out the door.

At the end of the day, I had to go for the gun that I could afford to shoot. I've already got two perfectly good carry guns (LCP and Sig P225) so I just couldn't justify another centerfire pistol that I can't feed regularly.

On the upside, I also applied to join a local pistol club where I have unlimited 24/7 range time. Hooray!

The long and short is - does anyone have recommendations on unjacketed 22lr ammo that'll play nice with the MK III?

Administrator
    A 22 pistol is a must have for any serious shooter IMO.

Why do you want unjacketed ammo though?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I always used Federal 510's, never had a problem. Used right smart of remington and federal bulk packs with duds being the biggest problem.

The range I'm joining is an ancient pistol club from the 40's, and they say that their backstop (made from an old battleship, according to legend) can't withstand jacketed ammo -- or that it's more likely to ricochet. I'm not quite sure what the story is, but if I want to shoot there I have to come up with unjacketed ammo.

So far I've only found cheapo remmington ammo, but would like to get other people's experiences.

With .22 it isn't gonna matter. On center fire cartridges it will.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    The long and short is - does anyone have recommendations on unjacketed 22lr ammo that'll play nice with the MK III?
    .22 ammo isn't really jacketed anyway, but copper "washed", it won't cause any trouble in a MKIII.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    .22 ammo isn't really jacketed anyway, but copper "washed", it won't cause any trouble in a MKIII.
    +1
    and the cheapest place to get bulk 22 is at Wallys. I haven't found any duds in them yet.

Good choice going with the Ruger.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

You may want to consider a used MK II. Though there is something to be said for a brand spankin new gun.

I shoot at 3/16" scrap steel plates with jacketed .22lr all the time. It won't be a problem. Your range master probably won't mind.
    As to your Mark III; it's a great gun, mine shoots anything I feed it. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike66 View Post
    You may want to consider a used MK II. Though there is something to be said for a brand spankin new gun.
    I considered it, but all the MK II's I saw used were in the $250 range. The MKIII I got was $249 before fees and shipping. With FFL fees and shipping they come out to a wash. New gun wins...

see how much you like it after you reassemble it the first time

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post

I'm unaware of any .22 LR ammo that is jacketed. Copper or brass-plated, perhaps, but not jacketed.

I have tens of thousands of rounds through my Mk IIs, and the only ammo that's ever given me trouble is the cheapie bulk-pack stuff. The Winchester Wildcat in particular, and some Remington (can't recall the name - I gave it away it was so bad) had lots of misfires. Winchester T22 has been consistently reliable for me over the years.

As with just about any .22 rimfire, try lots of different types. Unless you're hunting, there's no need for high velocity stuff, although I've been surprised with the accuracy of some hollowpoint ammo (nearly all of which is high velocity). Experiment and have fun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have had 2 MK's....my current one I have had for 7 years...a 22/45....love it...everyone should have a quality 22 pistol....and mine will feed ANYTHING...as my old one did that I am still shooting myself in the foot for selling....they are the benchmark by which ALL other 22's are judged. Congrats, buy the cheap Wally World stuff and shoot the crud out of it.

YES, no fun to reassemble, but that is why they made instruction books...which I still to this day look at each time i clean it!!!!

Enjoy it, it will teach you and serve you well.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Atticum View Post
    see how much you like it after you reassemble it the first time

I had one a few years ago. It was 5-1/2" bull barrell with factory wood grips and thumb rest. I sure hate I got rid of it. But I do not miss the re assembly process.

Man, that's a tough call. In my view a 1911 is a staple, necessary in any handgun battery that is going to have more than about two handguns...right behind the .22 rimfire handgun that ought to be number two, just behind the general purpose center fire self defense handgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links