Gun for my GF

Gun for my GF

This is a discussion on Gun for my GF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i have finally convinced my girlfriend that guns are a good thing and gotten her interested in shooting. We have gone out shooting multiple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun for my GF

Gun for my GF

So i have finally convinced my girlfriend that guns are a good thing and gotten her interested in shooting. We have gone out shooting multiple times now and she actually really enjoys it. We went out with the only pistol i currently own which is a full size Kimber 1911 .45. She handled the recoil surprisingly well after only a few magazines(this was her first experience ever with firearms). The only problem i found was that her hands were too small to get a proper grip on the gun.

Basically what im asking you guys/gals is if you have any suggestions on what would be a good pistol for a beginning shooter with pretty small hands.

If you have a range in your area that rents guns would be great. Pick out a couple and let her try em. How bout a S&W J-Frame with some low recoil .38s. Or Ruger SP-101. Try the sub-compact autos- Glock 26 or Compact Glock 19. Or the Walthers-PPS or PPK in .380. If she has never shot before maybe a rimfire would be good like a Walther P22.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    My wife's first pistol was a Walther P22. 22Cal. It is a really nice little pistol. It is an exact 3/4 size version of the P99. It is fun to shoot and inexpensive. I carry a PPS.
    At the range, I think my wife actually prefers shooting my Kimber TLE/RL II best, for a a few reasons. 1. The 5" barrel and the extra weight of the all stainless frame compensates nicely for the recoil. 2. The 3 Lb. trigger pull is very smooth and takes little effort. 3. since she is not jerking the trigger or flinching, she can shoot very accurate groups at 7 yards. I think she also likes the noise and the big holes it makes more so than with the .22.

I shoot her .22 quite often, just for the fun of it. I feels good in the hand, has little recoil, the magazines are easy to load and it is accurate.

She is Okay with most of my Sig's in 9mm too. She hates most revolvers especially the 38+P Air weight. I don't much care for them either. She also refuses to shoot the LCP.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My girl is tall with small hands. She likes the Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Walther PPS, and Sig p239. She shoots my Glock 23 and P228 just fine also but the .40 hurts her wrist after a range day.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If you just want to get her used to shooting then a .22lr is a good place to start. It will allow her to shoot often and get her discipline's down and be that much more accurate when/if she moves onto larger calibers.

I've never owned one but you can get a used Sig239 9mm for around $500
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Ditto on the Walther P22 or perhaps the Taurus PT709 Slim in 9mm or maybe something like the Taurus 738, the Taurus PT138, Bersa Thunder .380, Sig P232 .380, Walther PPK....

Just thinking out loud...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm just copying/pasting what I entered in another thread:

Have you considered CZ in the form of a P-01 or a PCR. The P-01 is NATO certified which says a lot about its reliability and most everyone has heard of the ergonomics of CZs. Do a little research on the web and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll read "made for my hand" a lot. What's more, the trigger reach of the P-01 and PCR will fit most medium and smaller hands.

CZ-USA -> CZ P01

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 D PCR COMPACT

NATO testing P-01

The P-01 is also on sale at Top Gun Supply for the ridiculous price of $460. At that price, it's a total steal.

CZ-75 Compact P01, Fixed Sights, 9mm - Top Gun Supply

Otherwise, the M&P9c is also very good and highly recommended and the ability to change grip size/capacity is a big plus.

This is also a nice reference:

The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

Lots of confidence building with a .22LR. Then lots more trying different pistols in larger calibers till she gets one thats just right for her. Worked for my lady 25+ years ago.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I bought my wife the pt709. This replaced a kahr pm9 that was a complete piece of junk. She has put over 500 rounds through this without any problems at all. Perhaps this would be an option for you GF. Good luck with your search, and congrats on getting her involved in shooting. Perhaps you can even convince her to get her CWP.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    My girl is tall with small hands. She likes the Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Walther PPS, and Sig p239. She shoots my Glock 23 and P228 just fine also but the .40 hurts her wrist after a range day.
    I was reading an article written by a woman shooter. The article is definitely written from a woman's perspective. The author makes a point of shooting a 357 Magnum as he favorite. Not so good for self defense but each to his own. She did have a good tip for women that can also apply to men. When you shoot a gun 9 mm or more, it is naturally going to fly up after the bullet fires. Her personal instructor told he to just let the gun fly up after pulling the trigger. Relax and don't tense up trying to hold the gun down. Let the gun go where it wants to go.

You know it is going to fly up so don't fight it, just relax and let the gun rise up. It is going to anyway. She claims that her shooting improved because she was not anticipating that point when pulling the trigger where the gun actually fires. She said by relaxing the wrists and letting the gun naturally raise up she was able to over come flinching. Her wrists also did not ache after shooting since she was not fighting the gun by trying to hold in down and level. This may not work so good for a double tap but is can work for women who don/t have much upper body strength.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My girlfriend loves my XD9sc... I've gotten her to hold about a 100 different guns, trying to get her to like something besides the XD series (that way I can keep the 9sc to myself), but she keeps saying nothing feels as good. Obviously, it's a personal preference.

I'd get a notepad, pen, and your girlfriend, and head to the nearest gun shop/show/range. Get her to feel every gun possible... even if it means the guy working there is forced to work with you two for an hour. Write down the ones that she likes, and the ones that she REALLY likes. Then you can head home, research, and narrow down your list.

With your new short list, you can work on finding places/people who will let you shoot them. Then you can narrow down the list to the one(s) she likes the best, find a price you're willing to spend, and work on finding a place you can get the gun you want for the price you think is fair.

Is that a lot of work, time, and energy? Heck yeah! Is it worth it? I think so. It'll stop you from: Buying a gun she doesn't like how it shoots. Buying a gun she doesn't like in general. Over paying. Buying a gun that has quality issues you didn't know about. Etc etc

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Ditto on the Walther P22 or perhaps the Taurus PT709 Slim in 9mm or maybe something like the Taurus 738, the Taurus PT138, Bersa Thunder .380, Sig P232 .380, Walther PPK....

Just thinking out loud...
    +1 on all except the PPK. That 13-14 lb. trigger pull can be very uncomfortable and even cause blisters for some shooters. I also think the lady shooter should handle the guns at the shop just as a man does and not be overly influenced by the man telling the women, no not that one or no that's too much gun for you.

The reason I mentioned the P22 is because it is just fun to shoot. The Browning Buck Mark is also a popular .22.
    - Zen Saying

Have her handle and shoot anything she can. Find a range or friends who will let you shoot guns.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

I'd probably lean toward the M&P 9c, G26 and others in that size range. They're small so it's easy for a female to carry if that's the goal, but have large enough capacity and a full enough grip to be a good range toy as well. The M&P is surprisingly comfy in the hands.

If you're spendy and want the absolute best grip possible on a firearm (IMO anyhow) checkout the HK P30. It has the best grip I've ever felt. The saying "like a glove" doesn't even describe how nice it is. However it's about $800-$900 or so depending on where you're shopping at least from my memory of local sightings.

I guess the best thing to do is write down a list of some models here that people recommend. Then go to your local shops and let her feel them in her hand. Let her try to rack the slide and manipulate the controls herself. She'll let you know when one feels right.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

My GF has only been to the range with me 3 times......this was her first time every firing a weapon of any type. 1st trip she fired the Sig Mosquito which she was very comfortable with.

2nd trip she started with the Sig while I was firing my .45 Kimber. Asked her if she wanted to try the .45......after 1 shot she layed it down......too much recoil. I started to run some rounds through my FN 5.7 for the 1st time since I bought it......she noticed the lack of recoil and wanted to try it. I couldn't get the gun away from her

She has since shot my EMP 9mm which she really didn't like and also my P238 which she also thought had too much recoil for her.

I think our next step is maybe some shooting classes for her. I have a hard time telling if she is actually holding any of the guns tight enough because it looks like she is barely holding on to it, or it could be her lack of hand/wrist strength.

There have been several times when the Mosquito would not cycle for her. I fired the remainder of the rounds left without a hiccup.
    b.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links