Bersa Thunder 9 UC

Bersa Thunder 9 UC

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder 9 UC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact from a DC member here and I took it out yesterday and put 150 round through it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder 9 UC

Bersa Thunder 9 UC

I bought a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact from a DC member here and I took it out yesterday and put 150 round through it. What an awesome carry piece!!! A midsize gun with 13 round magazines. a little larger than the 709 Slim (7 round mags) and much smaller than the Ruger P95 (15 round mags). Seems to be a perfect balance between size and capacity. Easy carry IWB and a nice shooter. Cycles and shoots anything.

Upon field stripping and cleaning I noticed that this little pistol is very well made. Heavy duty construction but still lightweight enough for carry. The frame is actually metal, not poly. The frame rails are steel and the front rails are about 3" long and the rear rails are about an inch long. Much longer rails than most semis, especially smaller carry guns. The slide lock, safety/decocker, and takedown bar are all hardened steel. Looking inside the body once disassembles, much of the trigger/hammer mechanism is thick steel. The ejector rod is also made of thick steel. The gun came with 4 magazines, and I noticed the magazine followers are also made of metal and not plastic. Everything about this gun screams quality and durability.

Function: This gun is the easiest to take down of any I've ever seen. Drop the mag, slide the bar down 90 degrees, and the slide comes right off. It's a hammer fired semi with a decocker with DA/SA mode. Chamber a round, decock it, and carry it hammer down but still ready to fire. The hammer does not rest on the firing pin and can only come into contact if the trigger is pulled all the way back. Heavy DA trigger, but light SA trigger. This gun has hardly any recoil whatsoever. As for sights, this is the first gun I've had with the U and dot sights l_o_l . It took me some getting used to, but I still consistently shot to the left a few inches (from 17 yards). I would have thought I was anticipating recoil, but this gun has none compared to all of my others. I'm sure it is me getting used to these sights. In a SD situation, a couple inches left shouldn't be an issue.

All things considered, this is an awesome little gun. Durable, relibable, functional, intuitive...you can tell that this gun was designed by a shooter for a shooter.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    I only have one but I trust it enough that my wife carries it. Mine likes hotter loads, so be it. Surprising for the price tag as well. It took some convincing on my part. Cheap, made off shore, etc. Well.....I'd do it again. That's my summary.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sounds like a good gun, I'm glad that your both happy with what you've got!

Thanks for posting!

I have the same gun and it is a very good shooter. I originally bought it to make holsters for it but my wife and I both like shooting it just like the other Bersa's we own.

Let me know if you need a holster for it!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A Bersa that works!? You mean all those stories on the internet are wrong? Impossible!

Good for you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't have any expirence with the 9mm but my mum is packing the thunder .380. She loves it and I trust it to keep her safe.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

My wife carries a 9UC. In my opinion Bersas are very under rated. I love shooting her 9UC. I have put a few hundred rounds through it. I carry a Glock and I can tell you this. When I shoot both one after the other the Bersa only has half the recoil of my G19.

Another thing I like about the Bersa UC is that it is easy to rack the slide. My wife can barely rack the slide on my G19 but has no problem with the Bersa.

ntg
    I've never shot one, but I have played with the trigger in the store. That trigger was GOOD! I wish I could buy all the guns that I like!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

EW3
    I had a Bersa .380 for a while and have to say, the Bersa is one of the BEST guns out there for the money! Tough, well made, and reliable. They aren't as finely finished as a SIG or H&K for sure, but then again they aren't $800-1000 and still go BANG every time.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A Bersa that works!? You mean all those stories on the internet are wrong? Impossible!

Good for you.
    My Bersa went 1500 rounds with no jams, issues or any problems whatsoever. One tough little gun, and accurate as can be, too!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I had a Bersa .380 for a while and have to say, the Bersa is one of the BEST guns out there for the money! Tough, well made, and reliable. They aren't as finely finished as a SIG or H&K for sure, but then again they aren't $800-1000 and still go BANG every time.
    You're right, they aren't finely finished photogenic works of art (I wouldn't exactly call it a pretty gun), but from a practical utilitarian perspective of a CCW, they fit the bill great. I ran a variety of brands, types, and grains through it (including some reloads) and it worked great. I cleaned and lubed it before I shot it and after 150 rounds it didn't look like it had been shot at all. I can't say that for any of my other handguns. I can't really explain that, but it's pretty handy. Overall, I'm pretty impressed. Perhaps not the best nor worst out there, but well made, great functionality, and great value.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You're right, they aren't finely finished photogenic works of art (I wouldn't exactly call it a pretty gun), but from a practical utilitarian perspective of a CCW, they fit the bill great. I ran a variety of brands, types, and grains through it (including some reloads) and it worked great. I cleaned and lubed it before I shot it and after 150 rounds it didn't look like it had been shot at all. I can't say that for any of my other handguns. I can't really explain that, but it's pretty handy. Overall, I'm pretty impressed. Perhaps not the best nor worst out there, but well made, great functionality, and great value.
    Agreed. Finish has never been something that was horribly important to me. I think of my guns as tools. I use my tools so they get scratches and wear and so on.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

That's how I feel about my trucks. Take them through the woods early and get that first scratch out of the way so you can use it as a truck.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I was looking into that gun a few months back. Size wise, are they more like a M&Pc/G26 or G19?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

It's smaller than a G26 but larger than a PF9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links